Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone guitar jumbo vs Dreadnought...?

Kudrat

Hi my name is Kudrat please help me I wanna buy epiphone guitar exactly ej-200ce or dr-500mce but I can't decide which one is the better... both of them sound is so good which difference between them ?

post-64673-006173500 1397064126_thumb.jpg

post-64673-089952000 1397064136_thumb.jpg

Hi my name is Kudrat please help me I wanna buy epiphone guitar exactly ej-200ce or dr-500mce but I can't decide which one is the better... both of them sound is so good which difference between them ?

Hi. Welcome! Both of these are good guitars but the Masterbilt DR-500MCE is definitely the better of the two. It has all solid wood, and it sounds rich and deep and creamy in tone...very good indeed! Most people would agree that Masterbilts are superior in every way to Regular Epiphones, they do however cost considerably more. But you get a lot more for your money. I own the burst DR500MCE model and it is quite classy and beautiful, its pick up system sounds the best of any I have ever heard. The EJ200 model is laminated on sides and back and it is much larger in size. They are very different models and prices...but if money is not an issue for you, then I would recommend the Masterbilt DR500MCE model as it's reviews world wide are simply stellar. Good luck!

GuitarLight pretty well nailed it.

I'll add that even if both were equivalent in overall "quality," we're still talking about different types of guitar regardless that technically the necks would be similar in shape, scale and nut width...

I'm personally not comfortable with either, but I prefer a slope-shoulder "dreadnaught" to the Jumbo for the times I'm flatpicking old-time sorts of music. Others take exactly the opposite preference and honestly, I think we're both right for ourselves.

If you're relatively new to guitar playing, and have the cash for it, I think the Masterbuilt would be a better long-term instrument for learning. I think of the Jumbo, even the super-fine quality Gibsons, as more of a specialty instrument that may be the preference of a smaller subset of guitar players.

In fact, I have a number of dreadnaught type guitars, both with cutaway and no cutaway, and several smaller flattops. I don't have a jumbo because it simply doesn't have a geometry that I find comfortable.

Another factor has to do with how and what you play. But given you didn't mention that, the assumption would be that you're early in your guitar pickin' career.

m

Hands down the dr-500 is the superior guitar all solid wood. I have the natural finish and it holds its own with many Martins and Gibsons . It is a truly awesome guitar unplugged and more so plugged in.Not to plug the ej200 but they are now solid wood as well, according to the epiphone site, they aresolid spruce top and maple back and sides which would give a brighter tone.

Play them both (if you can) and decide for yourself but Guitarlight is pretty much an expert on all things Epiphone.I do have to agree though,the Masterbilt line was something special (price aside).they hold their own against the high end lines. I just bought a 000-18 golden era and have absolutely no desire to put my DR500 away.

Archived