Gibson Brands Forums

Should I do this to my Firebird?

Stu-bud

I bought a Derek Trucks Maestro tail piece, for my '90 Firebird. I think it will look cool, but should I really drill holes in my otherwise pristine guitar? Maybe Velcro would work. Here are some before and after photos showing how it would look.

Stu.

079_zps8d97daec.jpg

080_zps0dc33b8b.jpg

As the original reverse Firebirds V & VII had the long Maestro Vibrola tailpiece, it always bugged me that Gibson would call a Firebird a "V" without the tailpiece. The long Maestro and trapazoid inlays is what defined, and differentiated, the Firebird V from the other models. Although I've never been a whammy bar guy, the tailpiece cover added a lot to the bling.

Now with the Derek Trucks model style ornamental cover, it's a win-win situation, add the bling, keep the stopbar/tune-o-matic.

I say GO FOR IT!

All I know is I want that guitar!

I like reverse Firebirds and the classic white is the one that really speaks to me...

To me personally, my guitars are for playing and not looking-at. If it's something that really speaks to me, I'd do it! It's not about saving the value of the guitar for selling purposes, it's for enjoying the guitar while it's mine and not worrying about the value it will have for someone after me!

It's mine, I'll do with it as I please and be very happy with it!

Hell; I've got a 2000 LP Deluxe that the Nitro finish never really cured or solidified and always went gummy when I got sweaty hands. I finally put a coat of Urethane over the neck finish and now it plays like a dream for me... I even F-ed it up and made it look a little crappy doing so because I wasn't smart enough not to let it dry in direct sunlight and the masking tape began to melt, it got a little orange-peeled and there's a very hard line where the Urethane stops and the masking tape had begun...

But it plays awesome and feels great now! It was a learning experience and I'm going to do a better job of it this summer now that I have a little more knowledge under my belt about such things, but making it playable was always my intention and I succeeded in that and it's far more important to me than the value of the guitar for anyone else!

F them, if anyone doesn't like it, too F-ing bad, it's mine!!!

Archived