Gibson Brands Forums

Painted My Guitar

Danner

I have a purple Challenger, and got a wild hair to make this old Mexican Strat match it. I like that way it came out, and I sort of have a new hobby, looking for another guitar to do-over (but, not my Classic-Custom, no sir).

PCP_Fender.a.JPG

ETA, the back side:

PCP_Fender.b.JPG

Thanks for the kind words.

It was a black strat with white plastic. I painted it with color matched auto touch-up paint that comes in rattle cans. Base coat in Plum Crazy, and a clear coat on top of that. It could be polished and buffed, but I did not do that because the 15 year old body looked better with a bit of the orange-peel finish the clear coat yielded. Then I added the Fender black pearl pick guard and black knobs. Overall, I have maybe $60 in it. The strats are so east to take apart and reassemble.

I'm really happy with the results and will do a couple more just for grins.

Awesome!!!

I'm about to tackle painting a Strat body for my Daughter's FrankenStrat project we've had in the works for at least a year now.

It too was a Blackie Strat... Actually a Squire...

I've acquired a high quality neck (w/reverse CBS headstock rosewood fretboard and shark-fin inlays) and loaded pickguard and new hardware...

We're leaving the outer rim a black ring and painting the faces white both front and rear. The pickguard is going to be black and my daughter is trying to figure stencils or something to place a smattering of philosophical words/phrases on the face along with some doo-dad symbols like musical notes and maybe a yin-yang etc...

Still trying to figure out the finish details, and I've been told that auto paint like that works very well... I think we'll probably do that route with it and see how it turns out...

I'll post some pics, eventually...

Awesome!!!

I'm about to tackle painting a Strat body for my Daughter's FrankenStrat project we've had in the works for at least a year now.

It too was a Blackie Strat... Actually a Squire...

I've acquired a high quality neck (w/reverse CBS headstock rosewood fretboard and shark-fin inlays) and loaded pickguard and new hardware...

We're leafing the outer rim a black ring and painting the faces white both front and rear. The pickguard is going to be black and my daughter is trying to figure stencils or something to place a smattering of philosophical words/phrases on the face along with some doo-dad symbols like musical notes and maybe a yin-yang etc...

Still trying to figure out the finish details, and I've been told that auto paint like that works very well... I think we'll probably do that route with it and see how it turns out...

I'll post some pics, eventually...

Thanks.

I searched around and it was pretty much unanimous that auto paint would work, particularly a base coat/clear coat application. All I did that black strat was wash it, rough it up with 600 grit wet sandpaper, wipe it down and use a tacky-cloth to get all the grit off. Then, 4 coats of the PCP base color, and 4-5 layers a clear coat. Really happy and I'm looking for another one to do.

It sounds like you have a solid plan with your daughter's guitar. Please post some pictures when it's done.

I have a purple Challenger, and got a wild hair to make this old Mexican Strat match it. I like that way it came out, and I sort of have a new hobby, looking for another guitar to do-over (but, not my Classic-Custom, no sir).

PCP_Fender.a.JPG

ETA, the back side:

PCP_Fender.b.JPG

Me LIKEYYYYYYYYY

PCP_Fender.a.JPG

ETA, the back side:

PCP_Fender.b.JPG

Great choice of colors, nice job. What year is your ride?

• 1 month later...

The guitar came out sweet especially with the pickguard you put on it and the Challenger in plum crazy purple is a killer ride.I think a few of us asked for a picture of the whole car,please.With a guitar and car like that you have gotta learn Deep Purples "{Highway Star}" BTW since it says 392 on the side my guess is under the hood is a Chrysler 392 so I would guess it's one fast toy. I never had a killer challenger like yours but I had a car with a 392 hemi in it and it was a monster.

Archived