Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo still available?

maxpax69

So in late March I ordered a Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo from MF and was informed it was due in stock on 4/4.

Since 4/4 I have been logging in to their site and this date keeps getting pushed back, now it's 4/20. From a little research I see that pretty much everyone else showing this guitar as no longer available at all while MF is still advertising it. Is anyone aware of the MK being out of production and I may as well give up on MF?

Cheers!

Chris,

The Kalamazoo is no longer available. In February, I also ordered a Midtown Kalamazoo from MF's website, and was contacted shortly thereafter - they said it would be shipping "later than anticipated, but it would ship as soon as they received it from Gibson". After two weeks of calling daily, I spoke with a supervisor who confirmed that Gibson has indeed stopped making them, and that my offer would not be fulfilled.

Frustrating after you already paid for an guitar... I got my money back and found a Midtown Custom available thru ZZounds.

Jeremy

Chris,

The Kalamazoo is no longer available. In February, I also ordered a Midtown Kalamazoo from MF's website, and was contacted shortly thereafter - they said it would be shipping "later than anticipated, but it would ship as soon as they received it from Gibson". After two weeks of calling daily, I spoke with a supervisor who confirmed that Gibson has indeed stopped making them, and that my offer would not be fulfilled.

Frustrating after you already paid for an guitar... I got my money back and found a Midtown Custom available thru ZZounds.

Jeremy

Thanks for replying Jeremy, I will go ahead and call them today and cancel. Each day I go to the website and each day the date gets pushed back by a day. It's a shame as my wife is interested in learning and would prefer the shorter scale and I'm not in the part of the salary scale that let's me buy a Byrdland :)

How do you find the Custom and it's playability? I was looking at this one too.

Many thanks,

Chris

Get it at Rainbow Guitars.

I got mine in January from them. It's my absolute favorite guitar of all time. The scale is perfect and once you get adjusted to the neck's profile, you may love it as much as me.

Here's the link. They will probably give you a better deal than MF did. I got mine w/ a wonderful setup (ask them to file the binding to match the fret ends. Gibson is careless about this!)

Midtown K

Get it at Rainbow Guitars.

I got mine in January from them. It's my absolute favorite guitar of all time. The scale is perfect and once you get adjusted to the neck's profile, you may love it as much as me.

Here's the link. They will probably give you a better deal than MF did. I got mine for $1350 w/ a wonderful setup (ask them to file the binding to match the fret ends. Gibson is careless about this!)

Midtown K

I actually managed to luck out yesterday. I walked into the Sam Ash store in Cherry Hill NJ for the first time and they happened to have one hanging on the wall behind the counter. I gave it a test and couldn't resist so I bought it on the spot! I will post photos a little later.

Cheers!

Congrats maxpax69!

I like my Kalamazoo. I'm still working on finding the right strings to suit me and the guitar. I currently have it strung with 11 flatwounds. Rich tone, but a bit too heavy for me, lacks the bright overtones of round wounds and I can't get a a good bend on the wound G string. I have a set of 10's I am going to try next.

Alright, I can comment as to my favorite arrangement of strings now. I took off the flatwounds and rolled them up to save them (with the locking Grovers I was able to save them, at $20 a set I wanted to save them), but I left on the B and the E strings. So I put on the set of 10's down to the solid G and kept the .011 E and the B from the flat wounds and this seems ideal for the short scale, where the B and E from the 10's looked like it would be way too light on that neck. I played it and it felt great!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just posted info in the Trading Post. PM me if interested.

The guitar has been extensively upgrades w/ Seymour Duncan P-Rails, Triple Shot pickups rings, Gotoh 21:1 Locking Thumbscrew tuners in Gold, and the push-pull pots have been converted to Phase-Parallel switching. This is a tone machine, and it's in excellent minty shape.

It really sucks to have to sell because it's probably my fave electric guitar, but I am way behind on some bills and I'm spending all my time playing the Vo-96 I just got these days.

Alright, I can comment as to my favorite arrangement of strings now. I took off the flatwounds and rolled them up to save them (with the locking Grovers I was able to save them, at $20 a set I wanted to save them), but I left on the B and the E strings. So I put on the set of 10's down to the solid G and kept the .011 E and the B from the flat wounds and this seems ideal for the short scale, where the B and E from the 10's looked like it would be way too light on that neck. I played it and it felt great!

Sounds intriguing, I just put on a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 11's around a week ago and wow! This really woke up the tone. Not everyones preference but this is now my #1.

Sounds intriguing, I just put on a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 11's around a week ago and wow! This really woke up the tone. Not everyones preference but this is now my #1.

I find the amplified tones to be very 'dependable', not boomy or shrieky. I keep thinking I want to use one of my other guitars, but then I reconsider because I know that the midtown Kalamazoo is plenty loud enough, sounds great, holds tune, and will be easily playable throughout the gig.

Archived