Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2014 Traditional in HCS

1963DaveG

Here's a little run down of how I came about this NGD. Today is my 3rd Wedding Anniversary and I had asked my wife what she wanted. She stated a four day trip to the Florida Gulf side beach somewhere of my choice, date to be determined, and that was it. Of course since we live in KY, flying down, rental, hotel, food, and such probably gonna be between 1 to 2K when said and done. So, she asked me what I wanted, so straight up I told her a 2014 Traditional in HCS, and I showed her exactly the one that I wanted since I had been on a mission for sometime to find the one HCS that in my opinion was near perfect. Well, needless to say she purchased it, the exact one, and it was delivered via Fedex today!

Now I never really felt that I needed much more than my 93 Studio as it fit the bill in all areas but after 21 years she has been in need of some TLC, and mind you I have not had her that long either. Only thing on her that needs done or replaced is the pup covers replaced with new one (which I have), and to get the new bridge saddles filed to fit strings for height and set the intonation. This is another story in and of itself, a GC horror story of sorts. Any ways, I wanted a new guitar, but NO weight relief or chambering, and it had to be a rosewood fretboard at minimum, with ebony preferred. Since this wasn't gonna be a possibility or so it seemed I conceded to the fact it was gonna have to be a 84 to 97 Traditional or Standard and in hopes that I could find a excellent used one. Wasn't in the position to purchase a 2013 nor at that time did I even have a desire for one then. Then came along the 2014 Traditional, not that it is any better or different than the 2013, except pups and the 120th inlay, which i have no issues with as it's not a make or break factor of the guitar.

The 2014's fit and finish are flawless I looked it over with a fine tooth comb so to speak and couldn't find one thing at all out of place. It is to me absolutely beautiful. Also, it has the Nibs, which again wasn't a make or break issue but I like the nibs. The 59 pups sound spectacular and they seem to be very versatile in sound, clean and distortion that packs a punch. Play's like butter and the neck is a late 50s just like my 93 Studio. One piece back that looks as good as the top does in my opinion. I couldn't be happier and it's nice to know you get what you pay for, or in this case what my Wifey paid for! Seriously I have dismissed newer Lesters as not having the quality of older 80's to 90's, but this proves they can still be made with solid bodies and with quality! Pics below...

IMG_20140410_132354_270_zps42e94dda.jpg

IMG_20140410_132617_167_zps3056ec1c.jpg

IMG_20140410_132651_374_zpsd9a75861.jpg

IMG_20140410_140030_239_zps578f9ebe.jpg

IMG_20140410_140502_094_zpsfd7c56ce.jpg

IMG_20140410_140356_667_zpsd9e6013e.jpg

Congrats, Dave, on your wife and your new guitar! [thumbup]

This top is definitely crazy. To my taste figuring and graining blow many AAA rated ones. They also translate nicely through the HCS finish. [love]

My 2013 HCS Traditional is made very well, too, and I think the weight is fine for a "true" Les Paul. Can't keep up with the top of yours though. [biggrin]

VERY nice find on that flame for a Traditional. I do hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Best sounding guitar I have ever owned. Absolutely love the 59 pups. HNGD!

Thanks! I absolutely love it. This is the first new guitar I have bought since 1978, and I will say by far it is the best one I have had thus far. The 59 Pups are spectacular and a lot of range in them manipulating it via controls on the amp itself. very pleased!

Thanks Duane V! I looked at many of them for a long time before finding the one I liked best.

Capmaster thanks! I like the top as well and thought it was spectacular for a AA top, and grain matches good to boot. I like how the grain looks through the HCS finish as well. I think mine weighs in at 9lbs. 5 oz. so not to bad lol, I dont mind the weight for what I get in return.

Here's a little run down of how I came about this NGD. Today is my 3rd Wedding Anniversary and I had asked my wife what she wanted. She stated a four day trip to the Florida Gulf side beach somewhere of my choice, date to be determined, and that was it. Of course since we live in KY, flying down, rental, hotel, food, and such probably gonna be between 1 to 2K when said and done. So, she asked me what I wanted, so straight up I told her a 2014 Traditional in HCS, and I showed her exactly the one that I wanted since I had been on a mission for sometime to find the one HCS that in my opinion was near perfect. Well, needless to say she purchased it, the exact one, and it was delivered via Fedex today!

Now I never really felt that I needed much more than my 93 Studio as it fit the bill in all areas but after 21 years she has been in need of some TLC, and mind you I have not had her that long either. Only thing on her that needs done or replaced is the pup covers replaced with new one (which I have), and to get the new bridge saddles filed to fit strings for height and set the intonation. This is another story in and of itself, a GC horror story of sorts. Any ways, I wanted a new guitar, but NO weight relief or chambering, and it had to be a rosewood fretboard at minimum, with ebony preferred. Since this wasn't gonna be a possibility or so it seemed I conceded to the fact it was gonna have to be a 84 to 97 Traditional or Standard and in hopes that I could find a excellent used one. Wasn't in the position to purchase a 2013 nor at that time did I even have a desire for one then. Then came along the 2014 Traditional, not that it is any better or different than the 2013, except pups and the 120th inlay, which i have no issues with as it's not a make or break factor of the guitar.

The 2014's fit and finish are flawless I looked it over with a fine tooth comb so to speak and couldn't find one thing at all out of place. It is to me absolutely beautiful. Also, it has the Nibs, which again wasn't a make or break issue but I like the nibs. The 59 pups sound spectacular and they seem to be very versatile in sound, clean and distortion that packs a punch. Play's like butter and the neck is a late 50s just like my 93 Studio. One piece back that looks as good as the top does in my opinion. I couldn't be happier and it's nice to know you get what you pay for, or in this case what my Wifey paid for! Seriously I have dismissed newer Lesters as not having the quality of older 80's to 90's, but this proves they can still be made with solid bodies and with quality! Pics below...

IMG_20140410_132354_270_zps42e94dda.jpg

IMG_20140410_132617_167_zps3056ec1c.jpg

IMG_20140410_132651_374_zpsd9a75861.jpg

IMG_20140410_140030_239_zps578f9ebe.jpg

IMG_20140410_140502_094_zpsfd7c56ce.jpg

IMG_20140410_140356_667_zpsd9e6013e.jpg

Wooooooooooooo what a top!

she is gorgeous congrats! The Traditionals are great Les Pauls. I am about to fit some 50's wiring and russian caps tin mine.. enjoy!

What a great looking Trad.

Man, that top is gorgeous.

Congrats. . B)

Thanks! I think so as well!

YES! That top is.....Scrumdidlyumtous!!!!! msp_thumbup.gif

Thats exactly what I said when I seen it!

Have mercy..... [drool]

Congrats!

I'm still drooling lol! Bad thing IS got the guitar and had the next day to play her and then the very next day left for Florida on a week long vacay, WITHOUT the Traditional! So needless to say i am dieing to get back to her!

Wooooooooooooo what a top!

she is gorgeous congrats! The Traditionals are great Les Pauls. I am about to fit some 50's wiring and russian caps tin mine.. enjoy!

Thanks! Yes just like a nice lady with a nice top haha! no offfense ladies just appreciating so don't be hatin this old feller ;-)

That is stunning congrats on everything, anniversary and new guitar. I love that 120th inlay on my Classic. I made mine a little more classic but I think that inlay is special. I got mine to celebrate my 50th birthday and 25th anniversary at work. My grandma told me when I was a little boy, I ask her, Grandma what kind of guitars are there? She said well there is Gibsons and they're the best. :)

Shrek, I actually like the 120th inlay, and it looks good. Happy 50th! I just hit the big 50 in July last year...how time flies! Love your Grandma's adage about Gibson's!

CONGRATS!...EXCELLENT FLAMES; tone sounds just as nice?

Also, congrats on having an excellent wife.

Thats what attracted me was the grain/flames on the top! The tone IS amazing and versatile in my view sound wise. Of course I have to base that off of my 93 Studio with 490/498's, but I have to say i think I like the 59's better. My Wife is absolutely amazing!

Congrats that's a nice LP

Thanks! It is one of the best AA tops I have ever seen in my opinion.

[woot][love][drool]

Have mercy, that top! What a beauty. Congrats![thumbup]

Thanks! I still can't believe I was able to nab this one!

Fantastic looking trad, congrats! Oh, we need pics of the wife or it didn't happen. [lol]

HAHA Drog! I told her I gotta get a pic of her and the guitar or it didn't happen, so give me a few days to post one...she's a beauty as well! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Took her out in the sun today and amazing the difference in how she looks outside in the sun versus inside in fluorescent lighting. Also, how two different camera's make the color look so different.

First two with my Droid

IMG_20140504_122814_038_zps75356b87.jpg

IMG_20140504_122847_465_zps122a30fa.jpg

Stepson's iPhone5

IMG951915_1_zps119571d3.jpg

Archived