Gibson Brands Forums

Update - SOLD: The Last Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG

capmaster

What's the story?

Very cool sg [thumbup]

In early June, 2013, I had bought one of these and decided to buy another one five days later. I thought that both of my kids should inherit one each when I will have passed away. As desired, they again brought me two of these from the warehouse to the store, and I found one of the mini toggle switches to be defective on one of them. When I asked what they would do about that, I was told that they will send it back to Gibson for repair since a replacement of this limited model won't be possible. To my question how long it may take, the answer was several months. "Several" obviously turned out to be ten in this case... [rolleyes]

In early June, 2013, I had bought one of these and decided to buy another one five days later. I thought that both of my kids should inherit one each when I will have passed away. As desired, they again brought me two of these from the warehouse to the store, and I found one of the mini toggle switches to be defective on one of them. When I asked what they would do about that, I was told that they will send it back to Gibson for repair since a replacement of this limited model won't be possible. To my question how long it may take, the answer was several months. "Several" obviously turned out to be ten in this case... [rolleyes]

Took some time to fix!!!

Again very cool Sg [thumbup]

Took some time to fix!!!

Again very cool Sg [thumbup]

Indeed it is very cool. I always admired the guitar tones on Frank Zappa's legendary "Apostrophe (')" album. To a large extent, the FZ "Roxy" SG gets its distinctive sounds through the shifted position of the "neck" pickup. Both pickups with the coil split engaged are a stunning substitute for Stratocaster intermediate position tones. The phase option allows for use across the entire fretboard in both full and split operation - there are no really dead spots which are common with neck pickups closer to the fretboard end. The Maestro vibrato with the Lyra tailpiece allows for slight shimmering effects only since heavy use will cause strings severely going out of tune, even with a roller bridge which I use. However, the best effect of the Maestro seems to be the string suspension. The sustain surpasses most SGs I know in person, and there is not a single dull or dead note.

I was very glad that Gibson eventually decided to rebuild this guitar legend in collaboration with Dweezil Zappa. [thumbup] For forty years I was only dreaming of her, and I was very surprised when it finally happened... [wub]

I like the look of dot's inlays with neck binding, those uncovered pickups and the vibrato arm. If i hadn't just bought a high end Hi-Fi stereo amp i would have bought this Sg.

Edit

It's sold :(

Yes - just have been about to post this... :(

Hmmm and they didn't contact you? :(

I sure hope they properly fixed it at least... my order is due to arrive tomorrow evening.

I bought this copy from thomann on saturday muhahaha :D

I guess it's really the last one huh?

It's very probably the last.

Hmmm and they didn't contact you? :(

I sure hope they properly fixed it at least... my order is due to arrive tomorrow evening.

I went with another FZ "Roxy" SG then, so no problem at all. [thumbup]

Please keep us posted after her arrival.

Would have like to have gotten one. Maybe I will get an SG Special and mod it.

I noticed there's a few on ebay too, some with broken neck and the rest still perfectly intact.

I missed the delivery yesterday by 30min -_- Guess I won't leave the house today :P

She has arrived! :) Sounds so much better than my epiphone, love the mini-switches too.

2014-04-18-2733.jpg

But is this normal though?

2014-04-18-2705.jpg

2014-04-18-2709.jpg

The rubber bands around the pickups are glued to it in a very messy manner and they don't exactly fit or stick to it properly everywhere...

What do you mean rubber bands around the pickups? I have never had rubber bands around stock open coil pups ever. It should be black tape to hide and protect the windings.

Yeah black tape, sorry :P It's just coming off a little that's all.

Congrats, Dextrome, HNGD! [thumbup] FZ "Roxy" SGs are very fine guitars with unique tones due to different front pickup position and switching options.

The black tape is a little bumpy on all of my open-coil pickups, too. No need to worry I think. It's best to leave it alone to avoid damaging the coil wire.

• 2 weeks later...
The black tape is a little bumpy on all of my open-coil pickups, too. No need to worry I think. It's best to leave it alone to avoid damaging the coil wire.

I think I might install some gibson pickup covers :) Or would you advice against this for some reason?

Loving the guitar so far, I'm just having some trouble with setting up my low action, especially with the low E string, just can't seem to get rid of the open string buzz, sounds fine while playing though. Gonna try with thinner strings next... I dunno, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to setting up guitars, never really bothered much with my cheaper guitars other than adjusting the trus rod and getting the intonation roughly right, so I'm probly just missing something :)

Although I love chrome covers, I left the "Roxy" pickups alone like all the other pickups of mine which came open coil stock. On pricipal mounting covers should be no problem. They do this at the factory, too, and there are seven of these stock in my guitars.

Perhaps the "loose" low-mass string suspension at the Maestro/Lyra vibrola spring supports buzz of low notes. The vibration of the E6th seems to build up after attack until it begins to buzz, sometimes even two seconds after attack. Both my "Roxys" behave the same, and they did with the stock Nashville T-O-M as well as with the Schaller STMC roller bridge. I just try to control myself when hitting the E6th, not so easy when striking down for chords, since the first string hit is hit hardest usually... :rolleyes:

Increasing action drastically is not possible since due to the low frets - which I love by the way, this model is the only "fretless wonder" in my arsenal - string buzz would appear on all strings and reappear before fading on the E6th due to lack of string pressure on the fret wire crown. So picking the E6th slightly softer is the only way I think. B)

The strings on mine are 10 - 46, and to my experience lighter gauges will suffer increased buzz. Since decades I achieve the lowest action on guitars with the heaviest gauges which are 12 - 54 in my case. My mostly used roundwound set is 11 - 50 on hardtail and 10 - 46 on vibrato guitars.

The strings on mine are 10 - 46, and to my experience lighter gauges will suffer increased buzz. Since decades I achieve the lowest action on guitars with the heaviest gauges which are 12 - 54 in my case. My mostly used roundwound set is 11 - 50 on hardtail and 10 - 46 on vibrato guitars.

I generally use 10-46 strings too :) but I ordered me some super slinky 08-38s now, just to try it out. I had no idea heavier gauge strings were better for low action though... guess I'll order some of those too :D Thanks for the advice.

Archived