Gibson Brands Forums

Anniversary Guitars and Manuals

tokairic

I have just bought a Gibson Nighthawk and I am very pleased with it both for finish and sound- yes I have seen all the comments, but I have owned a Les Paul and didn't get on with the weight. The Nighthawk is great for me - a strat that isn't a Fender - I love quirky guitars.

One issue I have, and if anyone from Gibson reads this please take note.....This is supposed to be a 20th Anniversary Model, but no certificate, no hang tag, no registration form. In fact nothing to mark it as Special except the truss rod cover.

The case is another issue, I have had much better cases on cheap Korean guitars (even Epiphone) - I know it is made in Canada but the quality and finishing of the lining is crap, with glue lines showing and scraps of lining material peeling off. Oh yes, and the Owners Manual is just a 'cover all' the same as the Epiphone manual which gives examples of the range of guitars and nothing specific to the guitar you've purchased.

If Gibson want to remain a top company they need to take a leaf out of Paul Reed Smiths book. (Yes I own a couple of PRS guitars). I know PRS are expensive (cheaper than many Gibsons) but customers are treated as though they are important to the company - even email queries are responded to promptly and quality is second to none. PRS play the 'Anniversary Guitar' game like no other manufacturer........and live up to expectations.

Gibson - if you are selling an Anniversary guitar, give it a certificate of authenticity, a 'guitar specific' owners manual, a registration form and a decent quality case!!! These are the small details that make a guitar feel special to the customer and don't add a significant amount to the cost. You won't be able to rely on the Gibson name to sell expensive guitars for ever. (If you think this is not true look at the case of the British Motorcycle manufacturers of the 60's who thought the Jap bikes were no threat to them. They thought people would continue to buy the names of Norton, Triumph, BSA over Honda, Suzuki etc and they were very wrong). I would like to see Gibson continue but wake up, please! and put quality first.

• 2 months later...

Archived