Gibson Brands Forums

I'm thinkin' Chibson!

Jimi Mac

I see several things on this current eBay listing that makes me think either this guitar shop is clearly ignorant, or horribly misinformed as they are calling this a Gibson Les Paul Custom...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty-/161273751837?pt=Guitar&hash=item258caa291d

A couple things right off, the cutaway horn is pointy, never seen a Gibson come to a point like that...

Top Hat knobs

Tuners

Headstock top edge book shape way off...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Also I thought there was a forum on here just for reporting fakes purporting themselves to be other than Chibsons... If there is please point it out to me I couldn't find it myself searching...

I'm saddened that this is being marketed as a Gibson if it indeed is not, and personally, as inexperienced as I am at identifying them, this don't look real to me...

Looks like a Norlin era Custom to me. I have a 1980 Custom, and the cutout on mine is only slightly less pointy than that. The Rhythm volume knob lines up with the stop tail like on mine. Mine has Schaller tuners just like this except mine say Gibson on them. Tuners and pickups are probably not original since they are not gold. The headstock shape looks funny in the close up due to lens distortion, but it looks ok in the other picture, albeit blurry. Top hats could have been added (I did this on mine). The wear looks legit for a 79 Gibson. The main thing that looks odd to me is the brown back on a black guitar, but the ad says it has been sanded.

80LesPaul1_zpsc8837a84.jpg

From what little we can see, it looks to be legit. The hardware still looks gold to me, just faded, worn off and washed out by the camera. Also, the add does say the tuners are not original ( they are also chrome?).

Wow, remarkably different...

I would have been certain it was likely counterfeit from my limited and admittedly ignorant knowledge...

Man it's tough to tell sometimes!

One thing that made me wonder if it is possibly legit, is the Custom "Diamond," it did seem larger than most counterfeits that are usually a touch small...

Dang, lots to learn!!!

To me it looks rather used but clearly legit.

The chrome Schaller machine heads are a direct drop-in, so there should be no additional holes. Gibson used them stock then, chrome and gold versions but no nickel I think, with "GIBSON" engraved in most but not all cases. I know 70's Gibsons with Grover machine heads saying "GIBSON" as well as "GROVER" like on the two 70's Gibson axes of mine.

But the neck does not have a volute like a 1979 should... A 1979 should have a pretty big pointy volute at the headstock but this one clearly does not.

It does however have the fret "nibs" which almost all counterfeits do not have.

It's a 77 to 81 Norlin.... No doubt about it.... Plus you can see the low flat awful frets that the Norlin LPC's had..... Man did they over dress the frets back then [thumbdn]

Don't have any problems with them on my 1970's Gibsons and Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs. To me they mean just a minor difference in playability which I can handle easily.

Too funny... No one But Gibson aka Norlin era would have 2nd on the back of the headstock.. probably weighs in at 20 lbs too. its a Gibson... :rolleyes:

My 80 is a boat anchor..... lol..... But any LPC from 1980 to 87 had the Tim Shaw era pups.... Which IMO are the best pick-up Gibson put into guitars.... then the 490 series......

It's a 77 to 81 Norlin.... No doubt about it.... Plus you can see the low flat awful frets that the Norlin LPC's had..... Man did they over dress the frets back then [thumbdn]

Different strokes I guess... I love those 'awful' frets.

Archived