Gibson Brands Forums

ES-355 TDSV ('59 or '60)

Hype

I really love this guitar (ala Johnny Marr's). Please re-issue it Gibson! With the proper ebony fretboard (as I'm sure you acquired all your wood back after the raid)! I own a mono 2011 Antique Ebony, but I really want this one too! If I was rich I would pay the crazy $18,000 to $25,000 price tag that these are going for on the market, but unfortunately I'm not, so a $4000 to $5000 re-issue would suffice....

Does anybody know if there were any 355's made in '59 or '60 with a stop tailpiece on the guitar? May I ask how much an original '59/'60 355 goes for these days? jim in Maine currently working in Denver,Colorado

I don't believe the '59's or '60's came with a stoptail just the Bigsby B7 to my knowledge, although I wouldn't be surprised if some have removed it and placed a stop tailpiece. Currently these would go for approx $18,000 to $25,000 from my research....

There are factory stop tail 355s from those years but they were a special order guitar - the Bigsby and various later alternatives being standard for the model. A factory stop bar adds a fair bit to the value though, and they're rare.

Gibson have made 355s fairly consistently over the last decade or so, although SV models are less common than mono ones. I'm sure it's one that will resurface sooner or later. You do occasionally see late 60s 355 TDSVs with Bigsbys, either special order or modded, for far less than the cost of a '59 -'62 era guitar.

Johnny Marr and Bernard Butler were the main reason I bought a 355, both great players and with truly awesome guitar collections.

Also thinking about price, I see early 355s on Gbase listed at >$20k all the time but can't help noticing the same guitars are on there year in year out. George Gruhn has four, priced far more reasonably between $10-13k, and even there he's had them a while. I'd be willing to bet if you had cash in hand and shopped carefully you'd end up paying closer to $10k than 20. A mono 355 commands a decent premium over a stereo varitone version and a mono stop tail, if it left the factory that way, would be catching up with 335s of the same era.

Archived