Gibson Brands Forums

20th Nighthawk Wiring Mod

tokairic

Whoo Hoo! just modded the wiring on my 20th anniversary Gibson Nighthawk to add four more sounds to the repertoire. Can't believe that Gibson didn't do it as standard. I was already really happy with the available tones but more is better - right! Simply swapped out the volume pot for a Gibson push/pull pot, wired the volume pot the same but soldered a wire from bridge pickup hot wire contact to one side of the push/pull and from the push/pull to the volume pot tone pot wire terminal. Pull up to bypass the 5 way switch and leave the bridge humbucker in circuit. So now I can have all three p/ups at once or both humbuckers together or both humbuckers coil split or all three p/ups as single coils with coil split humbuckers.

Now all I need to do is use an on/off/on mini switch to select individual humbuckers to coil tap instead of tapping both at once through the tone push/pull pot as standard - But I don't really want to drill that beautifull maple top! Do I really need more tones?

Whoo Hoo! just modded the wiring on my 20th anniversary Gibson Nighthawk to add four more sounds to the repertoire. Can't believe that Gibson didn't do it as standard. I was already really happy with the available tones but more is better - right! Simply swapped out the volume pot for a Gibson push/pull pot, wired the volume pot the same but soldered a wire from bridge pickup hot wire contact to one side of the push/pull and from the push/pull to the volume pot tone pot wire terminal. Pull up to bypass the 5 way switch and leave the bridge humbucker in circuit. So now I can have all three p/ups at once or both humbuckers together or both humbuckers coil split or all three p/ups as single coils with coil split humbuckers.

Now all I need to do is use an on/off/on mini switch to select individual humbuckers to coil tap instead of tapping both at once through the tone push/pull pot as standard - But I don't really want to drill that beautifull maple top! Do I really need more tones?

I have an epi reissue with a beautiful maple top that I am modding for Some Seymour Duncan's (mini and the bridge). I was thinking about doing this as well. Well not personally , I don't carry this skill set yet. If I was to do something similar is it advisable to just go with high end guts than keep the epi's or go with higher end?

Archived