Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-35 Club

Country-Rocker

By chance, I ended up with a new one yesterday. I have to admit that I couldn't really quite stop thinking about this model when I bought the other one. I kept feeling I should get the J-35 instead. The other guitar was accidently damaged while the shop was putting a strap pin on it, so I just got this one. It must have been meant to be, because this guitar is a better match for me musically. I really enjoy the looks and style of the J-35.... kind of like the rebellious older brother coming back home after a life of wandering and hard living. To me, the reissued J-35 looks and sounds like it would feel at home in a 1930s-1940s cat house playing the blues 24/7. I do believe Gibson has made this model a true modern classic and that it has overcame the stigma of being a less desirable instrument compared to it's more expensive sunburst little brother. Nice to see a model breaking free of the sunburst thing. I love sunburst too, but there are other cool colours/styles as well, yes, like the cool rocking Daddy, the J-35.

Who else here is a big fan of this model?????

The J-35 has it's own mojo and here is a small example of it. Hank Williams started on one of these, need I say anymore????? Brownie Mcghee and Sonny Terry here. The latter half of the video has no sound, but Hey Hey, the first half works.

I found a very cool body construction tag deep within my J-35. I will post a pic of it later, very interesting as I have never seen one before.

Freddie

I am happy with mine - just played one hour on her (my love).

After the change of the tusk nut&saddle with bone ones she has another sweetness.

Thanks for posting this, Country-Rocker.

I am in the club.

Lately I decided to make my J35 my "road instrument" when I travel by plane.

She'll be in a soft guitar bag with me as "hand luggage"

Glorious model is the J35!

Go back to grab her now ...

Lately I decided to make my J35 my "road instrument" when I travel by plane.

She'll be in a soft guitar bag with me as "hand luggage"

What will you do when go are at the gate and they absolutely insist that you must check the guitar? This happened to me in London last month and I was sure glad I had my J-50 in a Hiscox case. :) http://www.hiscoxcases.com/proll-guitar-cases.htm#progad

To me, the reissued J-35 looks and sounds like it would feel at home in a 1930s-1940s cat house playing the blues 24/7.

Not played a lot of Strombergs, Kay Krafts and Stellas have you?

I do agree though that the J-35 might just earn as reputation as one of the best modern classics guitars Gibson has come out with. If nothing else it will certainly be seen as the founding member of a line of guitars that will find their way into the hands of more and more people, some of whom may have shied away from Gibson if nothing else because of the price tag. This was the whole point of the original J-35. Kudos to Gibson.

Very well said Zomby, spot on !

I do agree though that the J-35 might just earn as reputation as one of the best modern classics guitars Gibson has come out with. If nothing else it will certainly be seen as the founding member of a line of guitars that will find their way into the hands of more and more people, some of whom may have shied away from Gibson if nothing else because of the price tag. This was the whole point of the original J-35. Kudos to Gibson.

In a relatively short span of time, the (new) J35 has carved its own place in guitar mojo. I think it's pretty cool how this guitar has come from the poor step-sister image to a thoroughbred. Also, I like the "let's go record some songs over by the barn" way of doing things. Very real and very effective.....BTW, how about a video of you playing something on your new guitar. [thumbup]

Having never been much of a Gibson fan in 40+ years of playing, I have to say that my new J-35...and my fist Gibson... has become my main guitar. The articulate definition of individual string separation, great tone, clarity, excellent bass and superb balance with great mids and solid treble provides the ideal match for my needs playing Irish/Celtic in DADGAD. I love my OM-16 and Guilds, but the J-35 offers a different and unique sound in the overall mix with the other instruments that my band loves. I tried three J-35s to get one, and this one is special. But I will say one thing... my J-35 is extremely sensitive to string choice...more so than any of my other guitars. It took a lot of experimenting to find the guitar/string combination I like and works best for my needs in DADGAD tuning.

I guess you could say I'm in the J-35 club and in the process of renewed GAS (Gibson Acquisition Syndrome). :)

I'm now taking a look at the LG-2 American Eagle. Here's a video of Sara Jarosz playing what looks like a newer LG-2 AE that I like the sound of.

DC

What will you do when go are at the gate and they absolutely insist that you must check the guitar? This happened to me in London last month and I was sure glad I had my J-50 in a Hiscox case. :) http://www.hiscoxcas...ases.htm#progad

I fly with "Bulgaria Air" - they dont't insist on checkin' the instrument.

But yes, you are damn right... What I will do if they do?...msp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gif

Here is rubbish picture from my phone. Mine has that compression stripe effect on the top with loads and loads of silking. I don't have a clue if silking is that is really good or not, but this one is packed with it. The top parts that look dark in the photo are more a pink/light beige kind of colour. I will shoot a better pic when I get time. It has an odd reddish tint to it and the top color don't look like the others I have seen on the net.

Freddie

post-38829-068932500 1397425709_thumb.jpg

I just greatly improved the sound of my pick up. I detuned the guitar, pressed the center of the bridge down and tuned up the middle D and G strings first, then tuned the other strings working my way outwards equally. I found this little tip somewhere in an older post on this forum. It sounded even better ran through my Zoom G1XN pedal. I am on a guitar roll as I bought the Zoom in a pawn shop here for £25.00 a couple of weeks ago...great pedal BTW, very realistic cool rhythm drum machine effect...very addicting. I also got a Orange 20 watt Mini Tiny Terror amp head, because the J-35 was less expensive than the one the shop damaged.

Now all I need is that Hummingbird/J-200 Gibby leather strap. That is to die for.....maybe ask wife as birthday gift. Anyone here seen this strap???, man it is killer. I gotta get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/English/AllAccess/2011/stories/strap-montana.jpg

Pass this tip on as needed folks, it really helps with the Baggs pick up.

Freddie

Is your friend John Prine? Gawd that was great song ! Nice playing and voice - the J-35 seems to be built for exactly these kinds of songs [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks much duluthdan. Doug Millaway wrote the tune and I played guitar and sang. I had John in mind for my arrangement. Nice of you to pick up on it.

Hey Brewboy, you and your guitar sound real good. That sounds like a cowboy kind of guitar, and that is cool. Your voice and the "giddy up" rhythm are perfect....In all sincerity, all these J35 owners are making a real good case for just how great their guitars are, as well as the other new Gibson models that are showing-up. Don't know that I want another rosewood or mahogany guitar at this time, but I have been reading all I can on the spruce/walnut J15. All this J35 enthusiasm is contagious. I enjoy the video and sound files also. [thumbup]

Skin playing a J-35 with Robert Plant 'Sensational Space Shifters'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcpknlXh-R8

The Kaiser Chiefs have been using a J-35 since last year, but I cannot seem to find the videos right now.

Good original songs are being posted here on this thread, much enjoyed, thanks for sharing.

Freddie

Hard to resist the title of this thread. I'll join.

Got mine in January after many months of saving, selling cheaper guitars and suffering constant GAS when viewing the adverts for it.

Played it every day since. I just put it down to write this. Confession: even when I am not playing I stare at it and soon feel a a big smile appear on my face. Ha! Man I love this guitar; the simple but very classy looks, the rich sound and top quality build, plus the history, and wow how easy it is to play! The j35 neck is just perfect for me. What a fun, beautiful guitar. What a great model to reintroduce.

Thanks for the clip of Brownie playing one. Made my day.

Archived