Gibson Brands Forums

Cracks on LP Studio 2013

I bought my LP Studio 2013 in December of 2012. I has been kept in the hard case when not used. However, I left Nicaragua (where I live and the guitar is normally kept) in October 2013 for work purposes. During the 2 months away, the guitar remained in its hard case. I should say that in Nicaragua during those months, it is the rainy season and humidity is quite high. Of course, temperatures are always pretty high too. On my return I noticed that some cracks had appeared close to the volume and tone controls (see attached photo). Can anyone advise me if these are superficial surface cracks or if it is likely that the wooden body has split along underlying joints? If it is just the nitrocellulose finish, then I can live with that, but the possibility of deeper cracks worries me.

post-64700-082606300 1397404098_thumb.jpg

Hello! Those cracks show up badly on the Gold finish. At first description I had ENVISIONED lacquer 'checking'. These look different than that. Unscrew the control plate and see if you can see the cracks from inside the cavity. You might also put a drop of naptha on the cracks and see if it leaks all the way through to the cavity or vice -versa.

I feel fairly certain that they are only surface/finish cracks.....but really don,t know the reason!

Let us know what you find out!

If I were you, I would do nothing else than bring the guitar to a reputable luthier. I think there might be a difference in finish shrinkages of the golden poly layer and the clear nitrocellulose coat which causes one of them to crack, and to me it looks like the poly layer is the affected one. In my opinion this problem is more likely caused during manufacturing than during storage. In case you put something on it which tends to penetrate through the top coat or possible cracks therein, you might void warranty.

If I were you, I would do nothing else than bring the guitar to a reputable luthier. I think there might be a difference in finish shrinkages of the golden poly layer and the clear nitrocellulose coat which causes one of them to crack, and to me it looks like the poly layer is the affected one. In my opinion this problem is more likely caused during manufacturing than during storage. In case you put something on it which tends to penetrate through the top coat or possible cracks therein, you might void warranty.

Maybe better yet, heed Capmaster's advice....OR consult our very own Victory Pete. the pre-eminent gold top refinisher of us all.....

http://forum.gibson....d-top-les-paul/

Many thanks for the swift reply. Good idea to look under the controls. I'll get onto it and report back as soon as I can. Might have a problem getting the naphtha here in Managua, though. I'll see what I can do.

Lighter fluid???

if I didn't know any better.. it looks like the pots may be were secured a bit TOO snug, and eventually, cracked the nitro under the stress.

and yea,, don't let the fancy name of naphtha toss you. it's lighter fluid as retrorod mentions

Gentlemen, thank you one and all for your wisdom and advice. I did have a quick look under the controls and it appears that the cracks are surface. I will try to find a reputable luthier (reputable?? Nicaragua?? What am I thinking?) and get it looked at. I guess I'll probably end up taking it with me on one of my trips through Miami or Houston and leaving it with someone to fix.

Oh, and naphtha = lighter fluid. Duh! Thanks for that. http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Seriously....the finish cracks do not bother me, really! I am a Vintage Guy and used to "less than perfect" finishes. It is yours to treat like you want, however.

Also, lighter fluid is a safe cleaner/degreaser for dirty nitrocellulose finishes and fingerboards on Gibsons. I usually follow up with some good (non-silicone) cleaner/polish.

• 2 years later...

Archived