Gibson Brands Forums

70's Lester's..

funkygibbo

Hi folks,

Not posted for a while due to illness, but I wanted to pick your brains regarding 70's Les Pauls, I know Gibson had issues with quality and the overall "mojo" for some years, so what's your experience with Lester's from the 70's? I ask because I'm interested in a 76 that's got a Maple neck with volute and Bare Knuckle pups, and a Gold Top refinish.

Thanks in advance....

In 1975 I bought one of the first "reintroduced" Standards. It was/is a great guitar, and has served me well for almost 40 years. It is the one and only Les Paul I've owned.

I actually prefer the maple neck wood vs mahogany, but that of course is personal preference. Of all the Gibsons I've owned, it's been half and half maple/mahogany. If the same model was offered with a choice, I would always choose maple.

All other deviations from the "vintage" design/build have been discussed to death (pancake body, boat paddle headstock, volute, etc), but these guitars are workhorses. As these guitars will never have any "collectors value", they can be had at a very reasonable price. In your case, you can also use the "refin" (and after-market pickups) issue to drive the price down even further.

As with ANY instrument, the individual guitar should be inspected and assessed on it's own merit. There is no reason (or historical evidence) to "generalize" anything derogatory just because it is a Norlin era mid-70's LP.

2326350693_3d02ec8b74.jpg

Many thanks L5Larry,

Regarding the "mojo" of these 70's Lester's, well, you do hear this said a lot, but I'm no expert having never played one!

But your input is valued, especially regarding Maple necks, I've never even seen one of those!!

Thanks again.

There is no reason (or historical evidence) to "generalize" anything derogatory just because it is a Norlin era mid-70's LP.

I agree.

I think the 70s are fine guitars. They are solid and nice to play.

The only thing to watch would be the pups. The last one I had my hands on was a 78 deluxe. The mini humbuckers were terribly microphonic.

You may need to consider having them potted.

But other than that,, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one.

I echo Larry's comment about assessing each one individually.

But that goes for any guitar from any maker any time all the time.

If it plays nice and feels good in your hands... take it.

Thanks quapman,

This would be a internet sale, so no chance to play it. But you know sometimes you see a Lester and you get a gut feeling.

As for the pups, well there Bare Knuckle and they don't come much better, so that wouldn't worry me. [thumbup]

I have a 1976 Deluxe; I purchased new in 1978. Overall, it is my only Les Paul and my favorite guitar. There was cost cutting in the 1970s, Gibson was losing millions of dollars a year in the late 1960s. Maple neck probably means the new factory in Nashville in the mid 1970s. Most Les Paul models would have had three piece tops instead of two matched pieces of maple used today. If it is a gold top, it won't be seen. Gibson used three piece tops in the 1950s too on gold tops. The headstock is wider in the 1970s, as were lapels and ties, not to mention flared trousers. There are lots of fans out there as well as some detractors. Internet sales make it hard, it is always better to play a guitar before you purchase it. Good luck; post some pictures if you purchase it. As it has standard humbuckers they could be factory routed or it could be a routed deluxe. Some people feel that this effects the price. This will be heavier than the modern ones too.

My 1978 25 / 50 is a little different as these guitars were produced as "top end" back then. And yes, they all had maple necks with ebony fingerboards and volutes. The "Norlin era myth" is just that - it is a myth.

As for Bare Knuckle pickups you could hardly do better - they are amongst the very best you can buy. I have Bare Knuckle "Mule" pickups on my Yamaha SG2000.

Archived