Gibson Brands Forums

Sparkling Waters with a Lyric

Fran Guidry

We're staying in Kailua, O`ahu in a charming rental on Ka`elepulu Stream, the waterway that connects what is now called Enchanted Lake to the ocean. The stream provides a constant source of interest, with water fowl, fish, and water craft passing. Our hosts keep chickens and pigeons to add to the fun. I chose an old Hawaiian song, "Wai O Ke Aniani" (The Sparkling Waters) for my video tribute to this lovely location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FIJjn8QqaA

I recently installed an LR Baggs Lyric microphone in my Masterbilt EF-500RCCE. I kept the Esonic2 installed but pulled the Nanomag jack into the body and taped it down, then replaced that second jack with the Lyric jack. So I now have the Esonic2 blend in the main jack and the Lyric in the secondary jack. The trade winds have been brisk this spring, so I used the Lyric DI'ed into the Zoom H6 recorder for this recording.

I collected most of these clips with various Panasonic Lumix G series cameras, with one clip shot by my sweetheart on her iPhone 5.

Fran

msp_thumbup.gif

I've never been to Hawaii. Looks like the neighbors were happy.msp_biggrin.gifsmile.gif I was surprised. Are those custom made, traditional outrigger type paddle/sail boats ? Are those type of boats still being made (by local "tradesmen" ) ? Looks idyllic.cool.gif

These modern adaptations of the traditional outrigger canoe are being made in Hawai`i today and racing them is a very popular sport. Different towns and neighborhoods and other groups come together in clubs to buy, maintain, and race their canoes.

The traditional canoe is carved from a tree trunk, these however are made of composite materials. The traditional wooden canoes are much less common, I've only seen one or two in the water. Most of them are in museums and other display situations.

And you are right, it's quite idyllic. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Fran

• 3 weeks later...

Archived