Gibson Brands Forums

J45: What's in the case?

michaelnel

I just bought a J45 Standard at GC, and in true GC fashion they managed to lose all the accessories, manual, warranty card, etc. They have several J35s and one other J45, and claim they can't find the accessories for any of them. All I got was the guitar and the case. What else was supposed to be in the case beside the guitar? I would like it to be complete, but I don't know what was supposed to be there.

I emailed Gibson, no response from them.

I reallty dont know why you all deal with that place.. they seem to have there own rules and dont really give a rip about the well being of the customers from what I read all the time. from charging extra for original included cases, to scuiffed up guitars, to documents for the guitars.. we have a couple stores like that up here.. Havent been in those places for 20 years and it will continue that way as well.

I would think the warranty card would be the most critical item. There is usually a final checklist (which doesn't mean much), and a little fold-out brochure called the "owner's manual". And the warranty card. Don't forget the warranty card.

A bit clumsy situation as I understood they were very generous to deal with in the first place. . .

Check this pic - http://www.imperialv.../m/img2895q.jpg

Left to right: warranty card (gold), checklist (white), owner's manual (gold), hang tag.

That's all folks, unless you have s "special" model, of which there are many. Then you may get some sort of certificate describing the guitar and explaining why you paid extra for it.

None of the stuff in the case pocket matters much. To register for warranty: Gibson warranty registration

True.. but when its a new buyer, its all nice to have... in the U.S you get the life time when it stays with the original owner.. here in canada we only get a year..yorkville keeps the paper work.. but we do get a Pick... whopptee doo..

Don't have a J-45 but when I bought my J-35 it came with Owner's Manual/Warranty/Final Inspection List (all together in one fold-out) and a goodies package containing a new set of strings, leather keychain, Gibson pick, small cleaning cloth and some Gibson stickers.

I no longer have the goody pack, but here's the Owner's Manual/Warranty booklet.

IMG_2810b_zps5d8a7042.jpg

DC

I appreciate the answers, but there sure are a lot of conflicting opinions as to what should be in there. Perhaps Gibson is just very inconsistent about it. I received a response from Gibson support this morning that said:

"Thanks for the email, and congrats on your new guitar! This should have come with an owner’s manual, pre-pack checklist, and warranty card. Please send me your address information, and I will have these items sent to you. Thanks again!!"

So, no trinkets, just paper... according to The Mothership.

I appreciate the answers, but there sure are a lot of conflicting opinions as to what should be in there. Perhaps Gibson is just very inconsistent about it.

Definitely possible. But more likely in your case is that Guitar Center lost the case candy as you stated. Also I believe they're the dealer well known for selling Gibsons and making the buyer pay extra for the case even though the case is included in the price. Not only so, but the cases fit a whole bunch of guitars so they probably just grab the appropriate case for the guitar they sold and don't sweat the details.

Please don't let it reflect poorly on the guitar itself. Hopefully you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

FMA

I appreciate the answers, but there sure are a lot of conflicting opinions as to what should be in there. Perhaps Gibson is just very inconsistent about it. I received a response from Gibson support this morning that said:

"Thanks for the email, and congrats on your new guitar! This should have come with an owner’s manual, pre-pack checklist, and warranty card. Please send me your address information, and I will have these items sent to you. Thanks again!!"

So, no trinkets, just paper... according to The Mothership.

Those are the basics. At various times, they have added other bits, for sure. Registering the warranty really is important, as it's one of the reasons you pay extra for a new guitar.

Ah... case candy. When the guitar is 5, 10, 30, 60 years old -- that is really super nice stuff to have in the case. My 2007 has it. It's cooler all the time ... IMHO

Exactly. Not that any of that stuff is worth a plug nickel, but it should be there. It's a matter of principle. And yes, having the geegaws with an older guitar is very cool.

Please don't let it reflect poorly on the guitar itself.

No problem, I don't for an instant blame Gibson, and it doesn't reflect on the guitar. It's just typical Guitar Center sleaziness. If there was a local alternative, I'd have used it.

Personally, I have had way better luck buying stuff from reputable internet dealers than from the local shops around here, other than Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto. They are on a whole other level, about as good as acoustic stores get. Unfortunately, they don't stock much Gibson stuff.

Archived