Gibson Brands Forums

City Fire Jam (Monday night 4/14/14)

Kaiser Bill

Only stills (lots of those)

Thanks Mr. "K". Since the "season" will be over here soon, they are cancelling the jams at this restaurant...not to worry there are plenty more to go around. Granted most of the jammers are horrid, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay. How can people play for 20-50 years and still not have a clue??

Have a great Easter.

Granted most of the jammers are horrid, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay. How can people play for 20-50 years and still not have a clue??

=========================================================================================================================

Anybody can play guitar.....it takes a modicum of talent to play a tune.

I.M.H.O.

Granted most of the jammers are horrid, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay. How can people play for 20-50 years and still not have a clue??

=========================================================================================================================

Anybody can play guitar.....it takes a modicum of talent to play a tune.

I.M.H.O.

I've been playing for over 40 year......i'm still horrid.......get booed in an empty room....

Thanks Mr. "K". Since the "season" will be over here soon, they are cancelling the jams at this restaurant...not to worry there are plenty more to go around. Granted most of the jammers are horrid, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay. How can people play for 20-50 years and still not have a clue??

Have a great Easter.

It's kinda like karaoke singers - I get embarrassed for some of them. They actually think they're good, and their friends tell them they're great! We all make mistakes, but if you can't hear a bad note, there's just no hope.

Several years ago I went to a jam night at a place called Casey's Alley and Laundromat (yes- Laundromat!) which was a dump behind a grocery store on Fort Myers Beach, FL. The bartender wore an 8" knife on his belt, the men's room smelled so bad you couldn't use it, and about 1/2 the crowd looked like homeless people; this was no tourist bar for sure. The jam started with a drummer, bass player, and guitarist - all good. A keyboard player showed up, then an outstanding 80 year-old sax man, then a trumpet player, and then another guitarist (who was one of the best blues guys I've ever heard). I've gotta say it was one of the most enjoyable performances I've ever heard. Musicians of all ages and races would sit in, call out a tune, and they'd do it well. They let me sit in on a 12-bar, and it was a blast; these guys were easy to play with - very nice and welcoming people. I stayed the whole night, and managed to get out with my wallet and my life. The place was torn down the next year, and every year I go down there I look for another jam, but no luck... I even check the laundromats.msp_biggrin.gif

Pauloon...that's hilarious...booed in an empty room. I have to remember that. Don't ever put yourself down... I've found there are always a lot of others willing to do it for you.

Kelvinator...that's a great story. I used to go to the Beer Mug on 12th and Liberty on Sundays to jam with Roger. I ended up with the nickname...snowflake...'cause I was the only Caucasian in the place...except for the owner/bartender...LOL Loved that jam. All good players...NOBODY BUT NOBODY ever lost the beat...LOL

Pauloon...that's hilarious...booed in an empty room. I have to remember that. Don't ever put yourself down... I've found there are always a lot of others willing to do it for you.

==========================================================================================================================================

Not to worry Kaiser Bill,to get booed ''up north'' is quite a compliment,..when a glass flies past your head and ''get off the stage 'yer s-h-o-i-t-e'' rings out,....then you worry.

It's kinda like karaoke singers - I get embarrassed for some of them. They actually think they're good, and their friends tell them they're great! We all make mistakes, but if you can't hear a bad note, there's just no hope.

Several years ago I went to a jam night at a place called Casey's Alley and Laundromat (yes- Laundromat!) which was a dump behind a grocery store on Fort Myers Beach, FL. The bartender wore an 8" knife on his belt, the men's room smelled so bad you couldn't use it, and about 1/2 the crowd looked like homeless people; this was no tourist bar for sure. The jam started with a drummer, bass player, and guitarist - all good. A keyboard player showed up, then an outstanding 80 year-old sax man, then a trumpet player, and then another guitarist (who was one of the best blues guys I've ever heard). I've gotta say it was one of the most enjoyable performances I've ever heard. Musicians of all ages and races would sit in, call out a tune, and they'd do it well. They let me sit in on a 12-bar, and it was a blast; these guys were easy to play with - very nice and welcoming people. I stayed the whole night, and managed to get out with my wallet and my life. The place was torn down the next year, and every year I go down there I look for another jam, but no luck... I even check the laundromats.msp_biggrin.gif

Sounds familiar!

I became an unofficial member of the house band at a place called; The Chopin Inn. It was a dive bar & dance hall down my the canals in Holyoke MA. (Western Massachusetts in The Pioneer Valley) That city had a very old rich Irish tradition that is waning badly and has become a welfare housing magnet for illegals as MA is becoming a sanctuary state and crime ran rampant with gangs until police Chief Anthony Scott moved up here from New Orleans and cleaned the place up over a long hard battle. Trust me you didn't go there unless you had to. It was the same; although the bar was actually kinda nice and the lady bartender who was the girlfriend of the band leader of the house band; Chris Mack Rhythm & Brews, was pretty. The parking lot was surrounded by a 9' chain-link fence topped with concertina razor wire. It was surrounded by dilapidated tenement buildings and drug deals were going down right outside the parking lot fence constantly...

In that place I've had the best gigs of my life! All sorts of older musicians would show up and some nights we had full brass sections playing swing tunes with like 4 guitars harp players and the whole nine yards. it was fantastic. The brass sections would be doing moves in unison as would us guitarists out front and it was really a wonderful spectacle! The music was awesome! Some of those older gents from the projects could friggin' wail!!! I became good friends with a number of the older guys from the projects and they had soul!!! They taught me alot and I'll never forget it!!!

I was kinda adopted as the house band guitarist and asked to be with them for every Blues Jam they put on for a whole season...

Then the joint was sold and became the Race Street Strip Pub... The new owner was later convicted of raping some of his strippers and the place eventually closed-down and then later was torn-down...

Before that, it held some great memories...

Some of those older gents from the projects could friggin' wail!!! I became good friends with a number of the older guys from the projects and they had soul!!! They taught me alot and I'll never forget it!!!

My dad played sax for 70 years - He retired from music 2 years ago at 88! He taught me a lot about music and still does. I guess I'm an "old guy" now, but I still love playing, and I'm still learning new things from old and young guys alike. As long as physical problems don't get in the way, I 'll keep playing 'til I get "booed in an empty room" like Pauloon msp_scared.gif. Ha! - Could be next weekend...msp_biggrin.gif

Archived