Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton stock pickups

guitarist1977

Hi guys,

Being a new owner of the sheraton II I started wondering if the stock pickups on it as bad as they say. I read lost of reviews and everybody saying that stock pickups are awful. But my experience with them is a little different. I don't think they are as bad as they say. And I own other guitars with high quality brands like Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle and Joe Barden.

This is my first hollow body and maybe with different pickups it will sound much better. What is your experience with the stock pickups?

And if the pickups are really bad, what would you recommend? I like the tone of the bridge one, what pickup will give me the similar tone? Before I got this guitar I've been thinking of getting p-rails, what do you think about this choice?

Alex.

if this is a new sherry, I would say give them a chance.

The stock hardware on Epi's have not been deserving of the stigma that Epi's used to have from years past.

Improved over the last few years.

I have newish broadway and swingster (both bought in 2013) and the pickups are really quite surprisingly good.

Guitarist1977,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

I've had the Alnico™ Classic Humbuckers. They seemed a bit on the muffled side to me. I changed them out for some

GFS Vintage 59's. The GFS are very inexpensive and yet, they seemed clearer and more defined. They don't sound like

my '76 Gibson Pat.# pickups but, to me they were an improvement.

On the other hand, much is determined by the amp you use and personal taste. (not to mention pickup height settings)

Keep in mind...

"Sound is perceived by your ears, not by the tongues of others."

Willy

Thanks guys for your replies.

I own new Sheraton II with Alnico Classic Humbuckers both in bridge and neck.

This is my first semi hollow. I have experience with solid body guitars and can easily tell if the pickups are good or bad. I have almost no experience with semi hollows, I like the sound of the stock pickups but maybe with the new ones the guitar sound will really open up.

On the new Epis changing out the pickups are a thing of the past . They are some great pickups now. But then again there are some people that have different sound tastes. I have a 50 th sherry with gibsons pickups in it and i just bought a sherry 2 and i like the pickups in the sherry 2 better . But that's my sound tasted . Take some time and play it before you tear it up .

On the new Epis changing out the pickups are a thing of the past . They are some great pickups now. But then again there are some people that have different sound tastes. I have a 50 th sherry with gibsons pickups in it and i just bought a sherry 2 and i like the pickups in the sherry 2 better . But that's my sound tasted . Take some time and play it before you tear it up .

I was choosing between the Epi SG w/ P-90s and the Fender Jaguar with Fender P-90s and the real deciding factor for me was all the reviews I'd read on the difference between the pickups in the two. I didn't want to be stuck swapping out pickups to get a good sound. I'm VERY pleased with the sound and tone of the P-90s in my SG, and those are pickups from 2011 or so (limited edition 1961 50th anniversary so I'm assuming they've been sitting in a warehouse since 2011).

I like the sound of the stock pickups but maybe with the new ones the guitar sound will really open up.

There's two schools of thought here right?

if it aint broke don't fix it

and the other..

nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I know,, no help at all right??!!

So the thing about pickup changes in a semi,, they are a bit more tedious than a solid body.

Is this something you would have a repair tech do or are you setting out with the idea that this is a DIY project?

if the stock pickups are working out for ya, I would just let it ride for now.

I bought a Sheraton II around ten years ago. I kept it stock for a couple of years, then added some thicker-gauge flatwound strings, which required a full re-setup. I lowered the stock pickups quite a lot in the process, and found that eliminated the muddiness. These pups still have a darker tone than several of my other humbucker guitars, but that works well for some music. I still fantasize about changing the stock pups out for a TV Jones in the bridge and a P-90 at the neck, but not for reasons related to poor sound from the stock pups now.

Like some said before, electronics have improved in Epis.

If you really like your bridge tone why changing it.

In my case I did not hesitate to upgrade my 2004 Sherry with Gibson classic 57/57+ but mostly because I also wanted to experiment with 50s wiring...

Fishing new electronics in a semi is not always easy, so better do it once [smile]

Thanks guys for your replies. I think I will stay with stock pickups.

If changing pickups would be as easy as on solid body I would do it right away, just to check if it is better or not. But it is a trickier on semi, so I just save myself some time.

Great and enjoy that great guitar . The old saying is leave it alone

Hey Alex,

Like you I was thinking about swapping my PUs on my 1990 Sheraton. They are old and tarnished. My hardware is all pitted and tarnished as well. After looking at the cost factor and the technical factor required to make this happen I decided to have my 3 way switch swapped out and have a complete set up done to the guitar. She is going to simply have a "vintage" look. I should have her back in a week or so. I am with you... if the PUs are playin good just leave them in.

Vince

Got my Sherry a couple of months ago and love the sound - for me, the pickups are fine on. I might swap out the nut though. There's a bit of a buzz on the lower strings and I've heard swapping out the nut can help.

I have a buzz as well. Somwhere around 5-6 frets. I checked my guitar and found a hight fret that is causing it. Check yours or take it to luthier to properly identify problem.

I have a buzz as well. Somwhere around 5-6 frets. I checked my guitar and found a hight fret that is causing it. Check yours or take it to luthier to properly identify problem.

Good thought, thanks - I'll take a look tonight. I use a very good guitar tech, so I'm sure he'll be able to sort this out.

Archived