Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 space between fret board and soundhole???

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I notice on my J-35 that there is a large space between the fret board and the soundhole. I see the LG-2 has this as well. Does anyone know why they are this way?? It looks like the J-35 and other slope shoulder models meet the body at the same fret, but maybe the soundhole has been moved into a different position on the J-35??? I don't know, but I am curious.

Thanks,

Freddie

In looking at old, original J-35s online, it appears Gibson is simply recapturing the same design and that's where the fretboard ended.

I've brought this up before, but I noticed on some new J-35s, the fretboard ends about 3/8" away from the rosette, while on others, the fretboard end touches the outside edge of the rosette. Out of curiosity, I contacted Gibson about this at least two months ago, but no response. I believe the original run of the new J-35 reissue had the end of the fretboard touching the edge of the rosette, and the headstock logo angled up to the right. Mine has the headsstock logo straight across with no angle, and the fretboard ends ~ 3/8" from the rosette. I noticed the differences when playing two J-35s, and online when looking at J-35s at different vendors who post actual photos of current stock. However, it seems the only ones being sold now are like mine with the straight-across headstock logo and fretboard ending 3/8" from the rosette. So obviously, Gibson recently changed the design/look just slightly for some reason.

DC

Gibson needs a standard disclaimer:

We reserve the right to change anything, anytime, for any reason. Or no reason at all. We will not explain ourselves because there really is no explanation. We will brace most of our guitars, regardless of model, like AJs, because that's the way Ren taught us to. We will do totally unauthentic things to re-issues, well...because.

P

Gibson needs a standard disclaimer:

We reserve the right to change anything, anytime, for any reason. Or no reason at all. We will not explain ourselves because there really is no explanation. We will brace most of our guitars, regardless of model, like AJs, because that's the way Ren taught us to. We will do totally unauthentic things to re-issues, well...because.

P

Has nothing to do with Ren. The company has always changed specs frequently. Most guitar manufacturers do and have a standard disclaimer about changing specs without notice.

The standards aren't braced like AJ's. I don't think it is correct to say most are braced like AJ's.

Gibson needs a standard disclaimer....

Ever notice that fine print at the bottom of the spec pages on Gibson's website? . . They've got it covered pretty good - . . . . . . . B)

"In order to continually improve the design, quality and performance of our instruments and to make use of the best materials at all times, Gibson reserves the right to change specifications without notice. Additionally, because Gibson brand guitars are handcrafted, it is normal for wood grains, finishes and some measurements to vary from those listed on this Web site. As always, the prices listed are the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. Please contact an authorized Gibson dealer in your area for the most current pricing."

mine was one of the first built and has the gap between the fret board and rosette. so that throws this idea off. seems like my logo has a slight angle but compared to others not sure if different but definitely has the gap between fb and rosette.

I like to see the full rosette.

Yes, I know full ring is important for many. Kind of see why without being one of them. . .

As said before it must have to do with the decades spent behind the Martin, , , and my faible for the G. squares.

Has nothing to do with Ren. The company has always changed specs frequently. Most guitar manufacturers do and have a standard disclaimer about changing specs without notice.

The standards aren't braced like AJ's. I don't think it is correct to say most are braced like AJ's.

Here you go...:)

P

I think you are just caught up in the deal where you buy a new guitar and start worrying that there is something off kilter or different from what is supposed to be there.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the J-35. I think the design is good, but I just wondered if it had a specific purpose.

Archived