Gibson Brands Forums

I am new to all of this

mr newhaven

Hey buddies!

I didnt even know there was a "Recording Room" here on this board...excellent!

I now have another avenue to ask redundant questions!

ok so let me give a bit of back story...(not sure if its necessary but i have to keep looking like i'm working)

so im 26 now...(you can roll your eyes later)

i played the guitar briefly in high school for like a year and then forgot all about it for the next 9.

i picked up a Les Paul VM like a year and a half ago and since then developed quite a little guitar habit...

About 6 months ago i picked up an Apogee Duet...(awesome by the way) and garageband...(i have a macbook pro)

i have an extra bedroom in my condo and am in the process of converting it into a guitar room/studio...

i picked up an auralex gramma to put under my amp (a mercury magnetics modded champ 600)

*i would like to get a ballsier amp eventually...but unless i sound isolate...i am going to piss of my neighbors...and after the freaking $500 i shelled out just to mod my amp...it sounds pretty bad *** now and as a result i am all set on amps for a bit*

I dont plan on recording any vocals yet...I don't want to offend the civilized world...but i did want to record on my electrics/acoustics...in part to hear myself play and look to improve where i sound flat/sharp...out of sync...and partly because i would like to save ideas i get when im just noodling around...

so here are my question(s):

1. I know there is a board currently on mics...and i'll read more of it but my question is will a condensor mic record good acoustic guitar? (i am not worried as much by my electrics because i can just plug directly into my apogee)

2. Secondly do i need different kinds of mics if i wanted to record off my amp??

3. I have been blowing my mind with research on sound treatments...i was just planning on buying a couple of those Auralex roominator kits...(i think they are like $200/each and then just putting up as much foam as possible...I am not trying to build an iso booth...i just dont want anything to fall off of my neighbors walls) will foam do the trick? I was planning on some bass traps too but before i go and shell out a few extra hundred...will it work??

thanks again so much guys!

I wish I could help, but most of what you posted looks like Greek to me. :-&

This forum is mostly populated with players and guitar related gear heads, so you would probably get more, and better, advice on a recording related forum. Try googling the topics, and see what pops up.

Best to ya!

• 8 months later...

Check with your gear dealers. Some will let you try out different mics, some will let you rent (for one night!) so you can actually try them out in action, at your place. You also have to decide how versatile a mic you get versus your budget. I know a guy who built small isos for his studio for some Soldano setups he had. Regardless of what you use or anyone suggests, you won't know anything works best for your situation till you try it. I say find some potential band mates in need of a place, "convince" your current neighbors to move, and then rock out. Start a musical commune, fight the power!

• 7 months later...

1. I know there is a board currently on mics...and i'll read more of it but my question is will a condensor mic record good acoustic guitar? (i am not worried as much by my electrics because i can just plug directly into my apogee)

Answer- IMO condensor mics are the way to go with recording acoustic guitars. I myself have an apogee duet as well and i will put up 2 Condenser mics in front of the guitar and pick up in stereo. condensors are alot more sensitive so they will pick up the subtleties of the instrument whereas dynamics aren't as sensitive. Experiment!!!

2. Secondly do i need different kinds of mics if i wanted to record off my amp??

Answer- you can never go wrong with trying out different mics. I like Sm57's and also condensor mics alike on guitar amps. again experiment and see what sounds good to you.

3. I have been blowing my mind with research on sound treatments...i was just planning on buying a couple of those Auralex roominator kits...(i think they are like $200/each and then just putting up as much foam as possible...I am not trying to build an iso booth...i just dont want anything to fall off of my neighbors walls) will foam do the trick? I was planning on some bass traps too but before i go and shell out a few extra hundred...will it work??

Answer- acoustic foam treatment will not sound proof anything. The foam is there to help tame flutter echos and other acoustic issues like bass build up in the corners of rooms. The more foam the "deader" the room is going to be but foam does not sound proof. In order to sound proof you would need to build a structure within a structure with air and space between the outer and inner wall and use different materials with different soundproofing ratings like rigid fiberglass and cinder blocks and drywall and things like that. Hope that helps. I have the same issues haha

Archived