Gibson Brands Forums

GC Rant

flyingfrets

Just blowing off a little steam here...

Been doing business with our local Guitar Center since 2002. LOTS of business. Bought at least 30 guitars in that span (for myself, son, nephews, neices, etc).

They've changed store managers at least twice and the new guy is (or WAS) decent enough, but does NOT have the customer service skills of his predecessor.

What set me off was that I bought a used Sycamore-topped Ibanez AE20II this Sunday. Of course, some show-off with a wild A-hole hair has to get into a volume war with me (in the ACOUSTIC room for God's sake [angry]). Overall, it seemed to have a nice, balanced tone but I couldn't quite hear a few of the more subtle nuances, but I took the chance and bought it anyway.

So I get home & the high E is fretting out everywhere above the 9th fret. I put a 1/4 turn more relief in the neck to see if I could get the string clear of the frets, but no dice.

So...I take it back today. Manager says talk to the tech, they want to make it right. OMG!!! Their tech is the personification of why GC techs are the laughing stock of the internet & why they have such a bad reputation.

The jack-hole starts talking down to me like I'm the village idiot. "Well, y'know guitars at this price point have a lot of problems," and "I think you have an unreasonable expectation of how low the action should be on an acoustic." Mind you, I have guitars older than this know-it-all turd & I've been playing since LOOOONG before he was born. I went ballistic.

Told him I didn't appreciate his snobbery. The guitar sold new less than a year ago for $550. I've bought guitars for less than that, including a new Gibson SGJ right at this store that was PLEKKED at the manufacturer, so THAT BS didn't fly with me. Secondly, my expectation of how low the action should be isn't that far off since it was what was already set on the guitar, so NO I wasn't allowing him to shim the bridge saddle. Then he said he'd have to do a fret level & recrown. I said "Fine. Do what you have to do." Then he tells me it will cost me another $130. I was livid. There's one high fret (the 15th)!

Told the manager I wasn't gonna be gouged for a whole fret level when it needs one fret trued. Forget it, I just want to return it. He said, "geez, sorry about that. Want me to call you when something decent comes in?" What?!!? This guitar wasn't "decent"?!!? No, it wasn't a $5K Martin, but it certainly wasn't junk either. Told him thanks, but no thanks...his tech had just cost him any future sales to me with his piss-poor attitude and lack of any solid knowlege. I usually do my own tech work, but I just bought the thing & shouldn't HAVE to. Strings on a new guitar? No problem. Tweak the action/intonation? Sure. Fret work? Uh, not on a guitar I just paid you a nice chunk of cash for. The fact that he had a chance to make this right & bungled it left a pretty raunchy taste in my mouth.

Thankfully, we have a nice little "mom & pop" music store a few miles south of me. He has maybe 1/3 the acoustic inventory that GC does & about 1/10 the electrics, same brands though and most discounted 15 - 30%. He also happens to have a really sweet Takamine I've been eyeing for a couple of months, so I know where I'm headed Saturday. They just have crappy hours in the off-season (they're in a shore town), so I forget about him frequently. Need to change that...

Last time AC/GC will be seeing me...

yea man,, it's really sad, but you GOTTA know what you're getting into when you go there for sure.

I would rather take my chances with Sweetwater and FED-Ex than even waste an hour of my life going to GC.

No wonder they are billions in the red. too much head-up-arse all around over there.

That's terrible - lose a good customer over a minor repair? Good customer service is soooo important to any business. If they would have repaired it or given a refund (even toward another guitar), you'd probably still be a customer. And talking down to a customer? Right or wrong - I'd fire they guy. A satisfied customer might tell 10 people; a pissed-off customer will tell everyone...

That's why I always shop at my local Ma and Pa music store. The prices may be a tad higher, but still competitive and the service is always excellent.

Example: The owner gave me his personal cell phone number and told me if anything should fail during a gig, call him and he would open the store and deliver what I need.

I've been loaned various types of gear to try out on the gig (microphone, sonic maximizer, fx units, etc.) with no deposit, no credit card check and a 'gentleman's agreement' to either bring it back Monday in the same shape (no restocking fee) or if I like it, bring my credit card or check.

You can't get that kind of service from a big box store.

Friends don't let friends shop at GC. ;)

Notes

Lots of people have no choice and have to make the best of GC. When ours opened ten years ago I made it a point to go there immediately and buy something. Struck up a friendship with a fellow, have never bought anything from anyone but him, he became manager few years ago and I still only buy from him.

The nearest nonGC about two miles away sells Turser, "American Luthier" or some such, and a few other kinds of things I've never heard of and have no need for. Really weird to walk into a music store FULL of guitars, and none of them even vaguely familiar to me. I don't know how many people need 139 dollar guitars. They used to be a great store, but last owner died and took his Gibson/Fender franchise with him.

After that it is a minimum 35 miles to the next small guy, and one of them lost their Fender a few years ago and haven't had Gibson in forever. My #1 tele is from that store, it's 17 now. The other one about the same distance manages to somehow hang on to his Fender franchise, I believe he is far enough from Philly to be able to get a break. After that, it's another GC and a Sam Ash.

rct

Not every story is a horror story at GC, I just purchased a guitar and it was fine, the sales woman followed up with a couple of e-mails to see how I was liking my guitar, really nice person to deal with. I am sticking with her.

But yea in general it is weird how a lot of the people that work there treat you as if you are not as their same level of coolness.

That's why I always shop at my local Ma and Pa music store. The prices may be a tad higher, but still competitive and the service is always excellent.

Example: The owner gave me his personal cell phone number and told me if anything should fail during a gig, call him and he would open the store and deliver what I need.

I've been loaned various types of gear to try out on the gig (microphone, sonic maximizer, fx units, etc.) with no deposit, no credit card check and a 'gentleman's agreement' to either bring it back Monday in the same shape (no restocking fee) or if I like it, bring my credit card or check.

You can't get that kind of service from a big box store.

Friends don't let friends shop at GC. ;)

Notes

That's exactly what I'm doing from here on out. The little place I mentioned above seems to be ALL about customer service. I bought my nephew a Telecoustic from him. $235 out the door with a gigbag (GC wants $359) AND he did a complete setup on the spot - at no additional charge. The action on that guitar is lower than on most electrics with no buzz or rattle, so he clearly knows what he's doing.

After my experience with GC yesterday, they won't even be seeing me for strings. I'll buy online if I have to, but Guitar Center will NEVER see another dime of my money. And it was their superior, condecending attitude that sealed it. If they'd said, "Hey, sorry, we can't fix it," or "it wouldn't be cost effective," I might not have been thrilled, but making me feel like I was some uneducated schmuck who got suckered on a POS guitar...THAT turned me off - permanently where GC is concerned. I've had lots of Ibanez guitars & basses going back to 1975. As I said, they may not be $5K - $7K handbuilt masterpieces, but they are absolutely fine instruments and this was the first one I'd ever had an issue with.

GC's loss will be the little shop's gain. At the end of the day, that's not a bad thing at all.

The one I deal with closest to me has both excellent, terrible and everything in between employees. I have a few that know me and know I'm looking to buy when I'm there.

If they have what I'm after and are willing to negotiate on price then we do business. No coupons or memorial day sales bunk.

Bottom line, walk if the deal/ price doesn't suit ya.

It will be interesting to see what the recent sale translates to on the sales floor.

Me too. Our local shop has been around ever since I can remember. The guy who started it has recently retired.

His partner, whom I went to school with, bought him out.

They treat me good. Always mark down without even asking for it. And back everything they sell.

No new Fenders or Gibsons though. The Long and Mcquade franchise here has that all locked up.

I only go there as a last resort.

No GC here so have no idea what they are about.

I'm not franchise friendly and will go out of my way to support local.

EVERY POSSIBLE CHANCE.

No, that I knew about. Ares basically already owned them, just made it sort of official. Shouldn't change much of anything at this time. Another two years though, that will be the time to see some changes. Between now and then, if they start taking out the good stuff and filling the stores with...junk, well, look out. Another Mars happening.

rct

I had my will never shop at GC time about 15 years ago and at least Mars was still around back then and now Sam Ash has been pretty good to deal with.

As for GC,like a lot of us I had bought well over $10,000 worth of stuff in there.The last time I was there I bought a LP studio a case,small vox amp,cord and a few odds and ends.The clerk added it up in his head and (The computer was down) he added it up wrong he was $10.00 short.I couldnt use my CC same computer problem so I wrote a check for the amount he wrote on the receipt.Later that week they found out the clerk added wrong and had him call me for the extra ten dollars.Seems to me with all the cash I spent in there over the years and I had just wrote a check for over a thousand dollars (dont remember the exact amount)they could have eaten the ten bucks but they called 3 or 4 more times for there ten dollars.I went back about two weeks later and instead of holding the check with the wrong amount on it they had no problem depositing it so I couldnt get it back and charge it like I originally wanted to.The manager was not around so I got to deal with the JR.manager,I was so ticked off I took back everything except the LP studio it was a great guitar.Well the district manager was promised to call and somehow placate me but never called so I've never been in there since,all over a lousy ten bucks.

all over a lousy ten bucks.

That's EXACTLY what chaps my *** about the whole issue. These dolts don't seem to get it's usually the "little things" that are driving customers away in droves.

I still believe a capable tech could've trued that one tall fret at no cost, in 10-20 minutes and the problem would've been solved to everyone's satisfaction.

Because they opted to let their testosterone-fueled know-it-all tech hose me down with his reeking superiority, they lost not only this sale, but any future sales they may have gotten from me.

Hey, I can find plenty of other places to spend my money.

I still believe a capable tech could've trued that one tall fret at no cost, in 10-20 minutes and the problem would've been solved to everyone's satisfaction.

It isn't about being capable or competent, not for your guitar or anyone elses. That guitar was sold. If it comes back in the local tech is not supposed to touch it without payment. Period. Our local two guys are really good, but they would have the same constraints on what they can do. I think they would handle it better than yours was handled, and the manager surely would have. I think.

rct

Unfortunately some of us is small markets have little choice but GC if we want decent selection and want to play a guitar before we buy it. I have bought three or four guitars from them over the last few years.

That said, I consider GC the Walmart of guitars. I go in there knowing that I probably know more about the guitar I'm interested (and perhaps guitars in general) than the sales staff does and that I will have to do any adjustments myself since they will probably just make it worse. This way if I DO find a competent and knowledgeable salesperson I am pleasantly surprised. And it has happened - though rarely.

It isn't about being capable or competent, not for your guitar or anyone elses. That guitar was sold. If it comes back in the local tech is not supposed to touch it without payment. Period. Our local two guys are really good, but they would have the same constraints on what they can do. I think they would handle it better than yours was handled, and the manager surely would have. I think.

rct

I'm not so sure I agree. As recently as December, the previous tech de-shimmed the bridge saddle on my son's Alvarez and fixed a wonky on-board pre-amp 4 days after I bought it - no charge. Maybe a year ago, I bought a used Hamer doublecut. The pots were scratchy and the volume taper was pretty erratic. I asked if he could shoot a little WD-40 into them. The manager told him to replace the pots - all 4 - no charge. And no smart mouth or attitude from the tech either. Then again, him being a half decent tech and a polite human being (instead of a putz) are probably why he's no longer with GC.

That Ibanez will go back up on the wall with all of the rest of the returns.

It was already back on the wall before I left the store.

Unfortunately some of us is small markets have little choice but GC if we want decent selection and want to play a guitar before we buy it. I have bought three or four guitars from them over the last few years.

That said, I consider GC the Walmart of guitars. I go in there knowing that I probably know more about the guitar I'm interested (and perhaps guitars in general) than the sales staff does and that I will have to do any adjustments myself since they will probably just make it worse. This way if I DO find a competent and knowledgeable salesperson I am pleasantly surprised. And it has happened - though rarely.

All true. The prior manager and the previous tech were decent people and always treated me well. That's why I was as loyal to that store as I was for so long. If this new crew are examples of their current business model, God help the unsuspecting soul that wanders in there.

Archived