Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Headstock logo

Micko

Dear All,

I picked up a Gibson Les Paul standard 2004 on eBay which arrived this morning.

It's great, some of the silvering seems to have darkened & discolored in a blotchy & inconsistent fashion on the logo on the head stock. Is this normal?

There is also no standard written on the truss rod cover.

Any advice given is much appreciated

best

micko

Hello Micko!

Silvering on the Standard's logo? You mean the "Gibson" inlay? That should be made exclusively of mother-of-pearl on Les Paul Standards...

http://www2.gibson.com/Images/Products/ElectricGuitars/Les-Paul/Custom/50th-Anniversary-59-LP-Reissue/Heritage-Cherry/750x750-Images/LPR9-HCSBNH1-Features-Logo-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=760&width=760

Post pictures please!!! You can use Photobucket. Upload pictures there, and copy the IMG link into Your post here.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Micko!

Silvering on the Standard's logo? You mean the "Gibson" inlay? That should be made exclusively of mother-of-pearl on Les Paul Standards...

http://www2.gibson.com/Images/Products/ElectricGuitars/Les-Paul/Custom/50th-Anniversary-59-LP-Reissue/Heritage-Cherry/750x750-Images/LPR9-HCSBNH1-Features-Logo-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=760&width=760

Post pictures please!!! You can use Photobucket. Upload pictures there, and copy the IMG link into Your post here.

Best wishes... Bence

Thanks Bence,

It looks brighter/clearer in the photos than in real life.

May be being a little over fussy, princess & the pea & all that.

However, the tuners say Deluxe on them, I would like to be 100% confident that I have a standard, as there is nothing on the guitar to identify it as such

Thanks & Thanks again

micko

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

Hello!

It is absolutely OK! It is as it should be for that model year (no TRC script, plastic keys).

Mother-of-pearl is not a uniform material, it has it's grain too.

Enjoy Your new guitar with good health!

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

It is absolutely OK! It is as it should be for that model year (no TRC script, plastic keys).

Mother-of-pearl is not a uniform material, it has it's grain too.

Enjoy Your new guitar with good health!

Best wishes... Bence

Thanks Bence, for putting my fears to rest

& the tuners? should you they have Deluxe written on them for a standard from 2004?

& a blank truss rod cover?

If your able to answer these I can re string & let it start it's life with me !!

Thanks & Thanks again

micko

Thank you for all your help

best

micko

I can confirm everything Bence said [thumbup]

So lets see some pictures of that plus top then :D And yes you get several grades of top up to AAA (triple plus top)..

Archived