Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Deluxe or Standard

Shojen

Hello All,

I've been 100% confident that I owned a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe based on serial number... that is until I started reading about the Deluxe and getting very anal about particular details of my guitar. The headstock features a "Deluxe" truss rod cover, the neck is a 3-piece, the body is pancake 2-piece mahogany, all found within the description of a Deluxe, minus the mini-humbuckers. I know that the "Deluxe" was made with the mini's and some players chose to have the pickup holes re-routed to fit larger humbuckers. Well, my guitar doesn't appear to be altered in this fashion. In other words, it looks completely factory. Also, the pickups do not look what was mentioned as T-Top humbuckers as the alternative special order Deluxe (without the mini's). I've attached a lot of pics in the hopes that someone could offer more information about what model this guitar is. By the way, I've named her "Ol'Betty".

sVogyoB.jpg

5fpDrav.jpg

M0V40c9.jpg

11SLrIn.jpg

64pgI8U.jpg

MV02oxi.jpg

Great guitar. Standards weren't official but Deluxe could be ordered with full size humbuckers from the factory, which is what you have. It also appears to be a two piece maple top with center seam and not a three piece top like most had. You have a great guitar. The pickups must have been changed at some point. People did that a lot in the 1970s, but you could find original if you don't like the dimarzios. It looks in great condition for 40 years old.

Mick Ronson who played guitar with David Bowie back then had one of these as his backup guitar. You can see it in the Bowie promo video of Jean Genie, I think it says Deluxe just like yours. They probably didn't have 'Standard' covers until the officially started to make them a few years later.

You can see Mick's here:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/getthattoneziggyeramick.aspx

Thanks guys for the info! What is shown is how I received the guitar (minus the off-white pick guard, which I still have I just took it off for a slightly more modern look). I haven't changed a thing. She plays and sounds so good, my daily driver!

Archived