Gibson Brands Forums

Gig causes fans ears to bleed

Rabs

Just proving that gigs really are stupidly loud these days.... Ok the ear bleeding was caused by having a pre existing condition so they are playing on that a little.. BUT as I said in my thread a while back about the loudness of music.. the fact that they are willing to supply earplugs to a gig is just a silly concept.. JUST TURN THE BLOODY VOLUME DOWN... sheeesshhh!! :)

UB40 Corn Exchange gig draws complaints about loud musicUB40 at the Cambridge Corn Exchange British reggae band UB40 played a sold-out gig in Cambridge on Monday

Music at a UB40 concert was so loud it was "altering heart rhythms" and caused a fan's ear to bleed, it has been claimed.

Anna Webster said she left Monday's gig in Cambridge along with up to 30 other people because of the noise.

A spokesman for the band said he was "sorry that Anna's night was spoiled".

He said no-one told the band's crew on the night that the music was too loud. Ms Webster has been offered free tickets to another gig as an apology.

She said she left the concert, at the Corn Exchange, before the reggae veterans had finished the first song.

UB40 The original line-up, which started in 1978, performed together for about 30 years before vocalist Ali Campbell left

"It was just horrendously loud - the bass was vibrating even in the foyer," she said.

"There were so many people walking out because they couldn't deal with it. It was vibrating through your whole body - it was actually altering heart rhythms."

'Steam train'

Ms Webster, from Willingham in Cambridgeshire, said the noise caused her ear - which already had a perforated drum due to a condition from childhood - to bleed.

Angela Paffett, from Alconbury, who was also at the gig, said: "The bass crashed into you like a steam train. I had a pain in my chest."

Stella Jackson, from Arsley in Bedfordshire, also left early. She said the gig was a "waste of money" and gave her a headache.

Cambridge Corn Exchange Cambridge Corn Exchange is to be run by a charity from next year

A UB40 spokesman said he spoke to Ms Webster after being contacted by BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and apologised to her if her evening was "spoiled". He said she was happy with the offer of VIP tickets to a gig in Wolverhampton.

Ear plugs

He said he believed "the vast majority of people were not affected", adding that the band's sound engineer had been informed about the complaints.

A Cambridge Corn Exchange spokesman said the venue always worked within "strict health and safety guidelines" and ear plugs were made available for people on the night.

He said the responsibility for the concert's sound levels lay with promoter DHP Concerts.

DHP Concerts said sound levels were the responsibility of the band's crew.

Health and safety law at the venue states that the continuous sound level should not exceed 107 dB, with the peak sound pressure level not exceeding 140 dB.

I went and saw Molly Hatchet at a bar called " Sneakers " in Austin one time. The opening band played and it was at a good loud level that was comfortable. When Molly Hatchet came out to play it was so freaking loud that everyone went to the restrooms to get away from the sound. We stayed for 4 songs maybe. It was so loud that to this day, I cant tell you the name of any of the songs they play except for the first one, I heard him say Gator Country before they started playing. Ive never heard anything so loud in my life, it just sounded like a super loud grind ( don't know how else to describe it). I am serious when I say that my ears rang for a solid 5 days. Ive seen them 3 times since then, even at smaller venues and they weren't even close to being as loud as they were that night. We traveled 2 hours to see them that night for my birthday, at least the tickets were free from the radio station. They are a GREAT band to see live, but that night they should have fired the sound guy, maybe even should have shot him. [unsure]

When I saw Journey/Foreigner/Styx at the Birmingham NEC last year the volume was dreadful. I also saw the band 'Orsen' and that was too loud too. I can't understand why they do it. There really is no need to be that loud. I did read about the UB40 gig in my local press.

I remember a long time ago more than 10 years I think, have seen Black Label Society in a small club in Belgium, they were playing so loud it hurts my ribs, and it was impossible to tell which song they were playing.

that's bad.

I went to see Kadavar at The End here in Nashville over the weekend and the sound and volume were so perfect it was refreshing, these guys sound heavy and pleaseant if that makes sense, I already have tinitus in my right ear brought on by an infection so I have to be careful but I did not even have to use my ear plugs, front row and all.

Guest Farnsbarns

I was lucky enough to see Motorhead as a guest of Todd Singerman (the manager) and watched the show from the wings of the stage at The Brixton Academy. Holy crap that was loud but my own choice of course, could have gone in to the auditorium if I had wanted too.

I went to see BOC (blue oyster cult) with special guest Leslie West many years ago in CT. at East coat music mall (is it still open).It was a concert brought to you by EMG,explains why it was at a music store.ECMM was huge inside and did have a stage so there was maybe 500 people in there at the beginning.Me and my buddy Dave actually got within the first 5 rows even though there were no seats at all we were all standing I was stoked we were so close,however not for long.Boc came out and played Godzilla first (I think it was an extended dance mix)I was cringing at the volume level and then the arrangement had a repeated keyboard sample vocal repeating godZilla godZilla godZilla for like 10 times in a row all in different sampled notes.Besides the ear bleeding volume the keyboard kept feeding back and the feedback was louder than the backing godZilla sample repeat and the backing drums.Well so much for a great place to stand so we backed way off (looked like a fire drill) with several other people and even at the back of the store it was way to much.Even as the fans and the ECMMall people were trying to get it turned down no such luck so I really regraded missing Leslie West but after playing rock for many years my ears didnt need any more damage so on the way home we stopped at the nudie bar to see the dancing bears,not a total waste.

I was lucky enough to see Motorhead as a guest of Todd Singerman (the manager) and watched the show from the wings of the stage at The Brixton Academy. Holy crap that was loud but my own choice of course, could have gone in to the auditorium if I had wanted too.

Yeah I saw them at Brixton.. 2010 I think it was... You cant complain about seeing Motorhead and it being too loud really can you, its kind of expected.. But you certainly wouldn't expect that from a pop reggae band.

And I wanted to be near the stage and the only space left was next to the speakers [crying] I couldn't hear right for several days after that.

Did they have the dancing girls when you saw them? :)

Archived