Gibson Brands Forums

New Capo Alert!

drathbun

I was just browsing through the new issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine when I came across an add for a new capo from G7th - the G7th Performance 2. I looked on their website and they have nothing about it there yet. None of the online sites have it, so it is totally brand new. I'm looking forward to it. Here is a photo of the ad from the magazine:

5F60DB38-21F4-4A10-986A-D89B9731F28C.jpg

I have both a G7th Performance and a G7th Newport. I love the Performance, but it is a bit heavy and bulky. I love the Newport for its lightness and thin profile, but it doesn't have enough clamping power. I've written the company about this as perhaps there is a way to "recharge" the tension on it.

This new G7th Performance 2 looks like it is merging the Newport and the Performance. If that is true, I'm getting my hands on one ASAP!

Cool- but I'm in love with Buc's hand-me-up McKinney Elliot.

(Why, I even posted a demo here earlier, but it was moved to the ac perf thread. On the 9th fret, I tell you!!)

I do love the thin profile; give us a review when you get your hands on this new model!

Cool- but I'm in love with Buc's hand-me-up McKinney Elliot.

(Why, I even posted a demo here earlier, but it was moved to the ac perf thread. On the 9th fret, I tell you!!)

I do love the thin profile; give us a review when you get your hands on this new model!

Might as well play a mandolin Anne! 9th Fret??

Love the song and the sound.

I had a G7th Performance. Didn't like it at all, sent it back.

It's way ugly. It's too big. The clamping force was uneven and difficult to fine-tune. I want a capo to press on the strings only as hard as it takes for them to ring clear, no harder.

I like the way the Paige Click works much better, but it has an overwhelming cheesiness that bothers me, and it has lots of sharp edges just waiting for a chance to take a gouge out of one of my guitars.

I bit the bullet and got an Elliott Elite instead. I doubt there is a better capo anywhere. Yes, it costs way too much, I agree.

I had a G7th Performance. Didn't like it at all, sent it back.

It's way ugly. It's too big. The clamping force was uneven and difficult to fine-tune. I want a capo to press on the strings only as hard as it takes for them to ring clear, no harder.

I like the way the Paige Click works much better, but it has an overwhelming cheesiness that bothers me, and it has lots of sharp edges just waiting for a chance to take a gouge out of one of my guitars.

I bit the bullet and got an Elliott Elite instead. I doubt there is a better capo anywhere. Yes, it costs way too much, I agree.

Funny, I found the G7th only clamps as much as you want with how much pressure you put on it. Plus, I've found it clamps even right across the strings and have found it doesn't alter the tuning like a spring loaded capo does. I do find it heavy and bulky, that is why I like the profile and weight of the Newport. I'm excited if they've joined the cam action of the G7th Performance with the weight and profile of the Newport. That is a capo I would use all the time.

I'm currently using my Shubb as it is THE most precise capo out there IMO.

I have to add that I wrote G7th last night about my Newport not having enough clamping power. This is what I received this morning:

Hello Douglas,

We did lengthen the screw on the Newport - it sounds like you have one of the first batch.

What's your address?

I'll just ship you a replacement.

Kind regards

Séamus

Séamus Brady

Artist Relations &

Consumer Marketing

G7th, The Capo Company

27 Westhawe

Peterborough

PE3 8BA

UK

Not bad customer service I'd say!

I have to add that I wrote G7th last night about my Newport not having enough clamping power. This is what I received this morning:

Hello Douglas,

We did lengthen the screw on the Newport - it sounds like you have one of the first batch.

What's your address?

I'll just ship you a replacement.

Kind regards

Séamus

Séamus Brady

Artist Relations &

Consumer Marketing

G7th, The Capo Company

27 Westhawe

Peterborough

PE3 8BA

UK

Not bad customer service I'd say!

Agreed! If all companies were on par with that response we'd be a bunch of very happy players!

Not much of a fan of the G7 design either. Like Anne, I spend a lot of time capoed on the higher frets (playing Irish/Celtic in DADGAD). I spend most of my time on frets 5, 7, and 9...sometimes 10, and use either a Shubb or Planet Waves NS Pro because of the PW Pro's ability to quickly adjust pressure on the fly if needed, and it's super light, as well as provides good, equal pressure across the strings. As a side note, whichever capo is used, I've found the most accurate intonation is best achieved by placing the capo ON the fret, not ahead of it on the fretboard, which stretches the strings unevenly across the fret. I picked up this little trick from the guitar player in JD Crowe's band who never had to retune during a show. Tony Rice and many other players use this method of on-the-fret capo placement and it really works. I never have to retune when changing capo positions, whether I'm using the Shubb or PW. I've posted this before with photos but just thought I'd mention it again since it does work very well.

After reading about Doug's experience with G7, I'm impressed with the customer service.

DC

Different strokes for different folks. But I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else but a Kyser Capo.

Because you just said it yourself.... different strokes for different folks.

When practicing before, after reading this thread, instead of reaching for the G7 Perf, I got out the G7 Newport and used it on my Martin om18v with the super vintage style neck (that most people complain about) and it worked really well.

Perhaps it needs the meatier necks to make better connections.

BluesKing777.

I was just playing my 59 Gibson LG3 with the Newport G7 capo on the 3rd fret and up the other way like Todd Phillips mentioned in the article I linked above.

It works really well like that on the chunky LG3 50s neck, maybe the best capo I have used for that guitar - I turned it up the other way after it kept skinning my finger.

I also want one of the Celtic G7 models for when I play DADGAD, to help get the Celt mood going.

BluesKing777.

I was just playing my 59 Gibson LG3 with the Newport G7 capo on the 3rd fret and up the other way like Todd Phillips mentioned in the article I linked above.

It works really well like that on the chunky LG3 50s neck, maybe the best capo I have used for that guitar - I turned it up the other way after it kept skinning my finger.

I also want one of the Celtic G7 models for when I play DADGAD, to help get the Celt mood going.

BluesKing777.

Here is a quick test recording I did to show you the 1959 Gibson LG3 with the G7 Newport on the 3rd fret as discussed above....new Elixir strings (12s):

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/test44

BluesKing777.

I just ordered a G7th P2. It should come about the same time as my replacement G7th Newport. Time for a capo showdown review. I will have:

Schubb Original

Schubb Standard

PlanetWaves NS Trigger

Kyser

G7th Performance

G7th Performance 2

G7th Newport

Archived