Gibson Brands Forums

LR Baggs m1a install into J45 Standard (2009)

scottrio

Hi,

I have a 2009 J45 Standard that came with an under saddle pick up. I am wondering if i can use the stock gibson end pin jack with the m1a? This would greatly facilitate the install. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a 2009 J45 Standard that came with an under saddle pick up. I am wondering if i can use the stock gibson end pin jack with the m1a? This would greatly facilitate the install. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

You shouldn't have any trouble using the stock end jack and you just need to unsolder the leads to the current pickup and connect your new install accordingly.

Hi,

Thanks

Let me know what kind of results you have soundwise. I installed an M1A on my J45 and hated it -- too much midrange honk for my taste. Curious as to what your experience might be.

You shouldn't have any trouble using the stock end jack and you just need to unsolder the leads to the current pickup and connect your new install accordingly.

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't think about sodering. Thought the stock undersaddle pickup was connect via an 1/8th inch plug that i could disconnect from the stock battery pack and plug right into the new pick up m1a. But I could very well be mistaken...

Let me know what kind of results you have soundwise. I installed an M1A on my J45 and hated it -- too much midrange honk for my taste. Curious as to what your experience might be.

Thanks, did you spend some time tweaking the pole pieces? I've heard from a trusted source that this specific pup would be perfect in a newer J45 standard. My only expectation is that the m1a tone surpasses the tone from the stock under saddle pickup that came in the guitar.

Thanks, did you spend some time tweaking the pole pieces? I've heard from a trusted source that this specific pup would be perfect in a newer J45 standard. My only expectation is that the m1a tone surpasses the tone from the stock under saddle pickup that came in the guitar.

I tried everything -- adjusting pole pieces, EQ -- everything. In fact, it was so nasally sounding, I contacted Baggs and they said there were some defective units with this problem, so they sent me a new one (this was a few years back). Same issue. I finally gave up on it. The M1A did sound a bit better in another one of my dreads -- but still couldn't eliminate the mid-rangy honk of it completely, especially when capoed up the neck a little. Finally went to Fishman pickups on all my guitars.

You might have a different experience as there are plenty of happy Baggs M1A customers out there. Let me know how it goes for ya.

Exactly same experience here. Hate that pickup with a passion.

I tried everything -- adjusting pole pieces, EQ -- everything. In fact, it was so nasally sounding, I contacted Baggs and they said there were some defective units with this problem, so they sent me a new one (this was a few years back). Same issue. I finally gave up on it. The M1A did sound a bit better in another one of my dreads -- but still couldn't eliminate the mid-rangy honk of it completely, especially when capoed up the neck a little. Finally went to Fishman pickups on all my guitars.

You might have a different experience as there are plenty of happy Baggs M1A customers out there. Let me know how it goes for ya.

Were you able to use the stock end pin jack and internal 1/8th plug to hook up your m1a when you were testing it?

Were you able to use the stock end pin jack and internal 1/8th plug to hook up your m1a when you were testing it?

I think so. I honesly can't remember, it's been a few years, but I don't remember having to drill on my J45.

Exactly same experience here. Hate that pickup with a passion.

It is possible we both got defective ones, but after they replaced mine and it was still the same nasal honk, I gave up. It soured me on anything Baggs-related.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I got the m1a and took it to the shop to get installed (Maple St. Guitars, Atlanta)...the tech called me when he was working on it and said the pup was defective. This was a brand new factory sealed pick up...purchased from Amazon. I decided to purchase another m1a from them (Maple St.) and for him to continue with the install...the second m1a is now installed. Will let you know how it goes once I start plugging in.

Even unplugged I did notice a weird inflection when capo'd up on 2 fret - which went away without the capo....is it possible that even unplugged the pup impacts the tone if you capo?

Well....I got the m1a and took it to the shop to get installed (Maple St. Guitars, Atlanta)...the tech called me when he was working on it and said the pup was defective. This was a brand new factory sealed pick up...purchased from Amazon. I decided to purchase another m1a from them (Maple St.) and for him to continue with the install...the second m1a is now installed. Will let you know how it goes once I start plugging in.

Even unplugged I did notice a weird inflection when capo'd up on 2 fret - which went away without the capo....is it possible that even unplugged the pup impacts the tone if you capo?

I wouldn't think it would have an effect unplugged. I'm curious, what was defective about the pickup? That's pretty bad if M1A's are still getting out of Baggs' shop defective. I was burned once -- I won't buy Baggs again.

I wouldn't think it would have an effect unplugged. I'm curious, what was defective about the pickup? That's pretty bad if M1A's are still getting out of Baggs' shop defective. I was burned once -- I won't buy Baggs again.

I'm not sure, the tech said it was probably a bad coil. He said he's installed a bunch of these over the last few years. Guess they are not consistent...

Archived