Gibson Brands Forums

Ok to provide serial number to potential buyers?

I've done quite a bit of selling on eBay and Craigslist, but this is my first time selling guitars. Selling some Gibson's, and given that I purchased them legitimately I know they're 100% genuine. However, I have a potential buyer that is asking for the serial number to make sure that it's genuine.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't provide it to a potential buyers? Just making sure that there aren't people just trying to acquire legit serial numbers to scam other people or something weird like that.

In other words, when selling a guitar is that considered standard practice, to provide the serial number to potential buyers?

Thanks in advance!

Is there any reason that I shouldn't provide it to a potential buyers?

I WOULD NOT even consider buying a guitar from a seller who would not provide the serial number, a boatload of pics, and any and all other information I requested.

Your results may vary.

Providing serial number and detailed pics to a potential buyer is crucial in my opinion. However, I think there's no need for doing this publicly.

Thanks. I didn't think it would be a problem, but with forgeries so rampant, I was worried that perhaps people would be trying to get legit serial numbers to use for nefarious purposes.

Appreciate the help.

Like its been said, I don't think anyone would consider buying a guitar such as a Gibson without first being able to check the serial number. That being said, if you're worried about them using a legit serial number to fake a guitar, there are plenty of websites out there (including the Gibson website) that will tell you the exact serial number format Gibson uses, so you really don't have anything to worry about.

you couldn't hide the number in person. so think of it that way. what most people do, is not show the serial (or block out part of it) when posting online, and then will tell people what it is in private communication. you just have to decide if it's ok to share with whoever you are talking to. if you have email correspondence and you are sure that you have a legit buyer, then tell them. if it sounds like a scammer then don't. the same way you to decide whether or not to reply to an email from CL or give out your phone number, or arrange a place to meet. a real buyer will understand why you aren't public with it, but will want to verify it before closing the deal. can't blame them. if you hold back such crucial info no matter what, then it's YOU that sounds like you have something to hide. just don't post it on the internet in pics or text.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a big deal giving out a serial number.. I would only do it if the person asks though.. or at the end of the sale.. I my self would like that kept between the potential buyer and myself..

Archived