Gibson Brands Forums

Something wicked (good) this way comes

jannusguy2

A rosewood , , , no, I mean special quilted maple SJ-200. Natural topped with some sort of mop rosette.

Btw. are those upper and lower dentures or leftover suchi over there by the blue bubble screen ,-)

Keep us posted.

A rosewood , , , no, I mean special quilted maple SJ-200. Natural topped with some sort of mop rosette.

Btw. are those upper and lower dentures or leftover suchi over there by the blue bubble screen ,-)

Keep us posted.

Wind up salmon and shrimp! When they're scurrying around in front of you, you know they're fresh!

Oh, ok. That was close (and that is a dark wood in that soundhole). I think I recall you once saying prototypes for the JB were rendered in walnut, rosewood, and mahogany... so there is probably one floating around out there somewhere. Still, a very interesting incarnation. 'Regret passing on the chance to buy a new Martin D-15 prototype that a local M dealer had in the late 1990's: in poplar. For $425.

I had one of these before and let it go. Even though I used the money to acquire my J200TV, I knew I had made a mistake selling it. So, I began to cast about for another rosewood J200. Looked at the ltd. run Mystic Rosewood version but the bling on it was a bit much for me. Missed the boat on a nice used '95 version with a natural top on eBay. Decided to look once again at the Western Classic and voila! I popped in here for some reinforcement on who had the best prices. E. M. Shorts came up again and again so I gave them a call. They blew everybody else's prices out of the water. I don't know how they do it but if you're looking to buy, you need to call them first. Anyway, this is set up perfectly right out of the case. I won't make the mistake of letting this model go again. BTW, if you're interested in my Smeck, reach out.

db05530c-6364-433b-8729-77702acf087d_zpsb676c542.jpg

Yes, what a stunner. I recall the first which is why I changed my guess from rose to quilted maple.

But this one is a champ.

Congs on the re-purchase. Did the other have a different p-guard and how do they compare. . .

10171131_10203454986883656_164037750657813283_n_zpsba2c845e.jpg

Interesting. The headstock of your new toy has a lot in common with the dope-fueled "fever dream" 1970 headstock mod on my 1948 J-45, except that in my case the headstock bindings are actually ivory and ebony from old piano keys. We borrowed these motifs from several 1930's Gibsons...

headstock.jpg

I had one of these before and let it go. Even though I used the money to acquire my J200TV, I knew I had made a mistake selling it. So, I began to cast about for another rosewood J200. Looked at the ltd. run Mystic Rosewood version but the bling on it was a bit much for me. Missed the boat on a nice used '95 version with a natural top on eBay. Decided to look once again at the Western Classic and voila! I popped in here for some reinforcement on who had the best prices. E. M. Shorts came up again and again so I gave them a call. They blew everybody else's prices out of the water. I don't know how they do it but if you're looking to buy, you need to call them first. Anyway, this is set up perfectly right out of the case. I won't make the mistake of letting this model go again. BTW, if you're interested in my Smeck, reach out.

db05530c-6364-433b-8729-77702acf087d_zpsb676c542.jpg

Beautiful!!!!!!

Don't let that Resto Man behind there near it - he could turn it into a Coke Bottle or even a......Taylor....

BluesKing777.

Interesting. The headstock of your new toy has a lot in common with the dope-fueled "fever dream" 1970 headstock mod on my 1948 J-45, except that in my case the headstock bindings are actually ivory and ebony from old piano keys. We borrowed these motifs from several 1930's Gibsons...

Good old psychedelNick - "Your guitar is a piano", , , to quote one of the phrases from last weeks 'cliché thread'.

headstock.jpg

Wow, that's quite a coincidence, Nick. I wasn't aware that your headstock was your own design!

57 Classic wrote "Beautiful JG2. I love those. I like the pg better on this one vs the chicklet guard on you old Western Classic "

Me too, this one is more "understated". Not sure that's the right word for this guitar. And, to address Em7 question as it regards how this one compares to the other, it delivers on every level as did the first one. These are amazing sounding guitars. I don't have the vocabulary to describe the tone. Suffice to say, if you have the chance to play one, don't pass it up. And, again, I can't say enough about the deal I got from E.M. Shorts.

Wow, that's quite a coincidence, Nick. I wasn't aware that your headstock was your own design!

It wasn't my design. The guy who did the work and I looked at a bunch of 1930's Gibson mandolin and guitar headstocks, and put this idea together from those. He was an apprentice luthier, and we traded out work, as I photographed and printed some very early Martin factory catalogs that he got his hands on. The guy he apprenticed with was the one who did an incredible restoration on my little late-1800's Brazilian Martin New Yorker that I found in several pieces in Ohio when we were on tour there in about 1970.

That little Martin was owned by James Whitcomb Riley ("the Hoosier Poet"), and I got it from an elderly woman who received it from Riley when she was a young girl.

Anyhow, the guy who did the inlay work on my J-45 was very talented for one so young, but I don't know what became of him.

Archived