Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) Stratocaster. Before and after.

Buxom

I picked up this 1992 Fender Stratocaster for cheap. (Technically, $25)

With a few hours of labor and $40 or so in parts, it's a completely different guitar now.

ybsVLoh.jpg

a6YD8h9.jpg

Blue is different in different lights. It's a pretty yellowed Maui Blue.

Laces. To my knowledge, they're original to the guitar as well.

Sweet, always wanted to try Laces...they were in the original Clapton strats, before he was supposedly "forced" to change to Fender's "Vintage Noiseless" pickups.

-Ryan

Ok don't leave us hangin'. How'd you get it for $25.?

Trading.

1990 Crate Excalibur Head -> 1996 Fender Stratocaster H/S/H (Plus $25 to a pawn shop) -> 2000 Fernandes FGZ-400 -> 1992 Fender Stratocaster.

Sweet, always wanted to try Laces...they were in the original Clapton strats, before he was supposedly "forced" to change to Fender's "Vintage Noiseless" pickups.

-Ryan

I can't really describe how they are. individual notes sound kind of rounded and almost synthy. it's very trippy for cleans.

It's actually got a surprisingly fat sound for having laces. I like the way they sound with gain, which is what my real test for a guitar is.

-Ryan

I can't really describe how they are. individual notes sound kind of rounded and almost synthy. it's very trippy for cleans.

It's actually got a surprisingly fat sound for having laces. I like the way they sound with gain, which is what my real test for a guitar is.

I think that's part of why Clapton chose them. The "Clapton Mid Boost" circuit was his attempt to make his Strat sound more like his 335/Les Paul, so the fatness of the Laces certainly would have aided in that...interesting.

-Ryan

There's just no extra switches, and the wiring is the same as any Stratocaster I've ever looked at under the hood.

It's also very well played. In all honesty, this Stratocaster was probably in worse shape than my Guild when I first brought it home.

There's just no extra switches, and the wiring is the same as any Stratocaster I've ever looked at under the hood.

Oh I know, I was just making comparisons to the Clapton sig Strat. Wasn't saying yours had the mid boost :P

-Ryan

I think that's part of why Clapton chose them. The "Clapton Mid Boost" circuit was his attempt to make his Strat sound more like his 335/Les Paul,

huh. And here I always thought it was his attempt to sound just as bad as you possibly can playing a Strat.

rct

Archived