Gibson Brands Forums

Pat Metheny's 1960 Gibson ES-175

larry333

Hello,

I have a small Pat Metheny Gibson ES-175 Info page at:

http://www.oakton.edu/~larry/music/metheny/methenyes175.html

for those who are interested.

The headstock on Pat Metheny's old 1960 ES-175 has a bound headstock (see picture below)

Now, I've been around 175's for a pretty long time, but never seen a 175 with binding on the headstock except for Metheny's. A bound headstock seems pretty unusual for a 175 of that or any era. Perhaps it was/is from a special run?

post-64811-050601100 1397796446_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have a small Pat Metheny Gibson ES-175 Info page at:

http://www.oakton.edu/~larry/music/metheny/methenyes175.html

for those who are interested.

The headstock on Pat Metheny's old 1960 ES-175 has a bound headstock (see picture below)

Now, I've been around 175's for a pretty long time, but never seen a 175 with binding on the headstock except for Metheny's. A bound headstock seems pretty unusual for a 175 of that or any era. Perhaps it was/is from a special run?

post-64811-050601100 1397796446_thumb.jpg

Nice website! Both Pat and Steve Howe are responsible for my ES-175 lust. I have an Epi ES 175 reissue that both looks and sounds amazing (must've been a good day for Epiphone). I also have a Heritage H-575 Custom that is the jewel of my collection. Love the sound of both, especially through a Swart Atomic Space Tone amp.

But what I've always wanted to know is why the toothbrush?

Those not familiar with Metheny, look closely at the guitar's tailpiece; there is always a toothbrush stuck in there.

I saw him play this guitar a couple of times. The 1st time I couldn't believe it so I got up close and yup, that's a toothbrush.

I have never figured this one out.

Toothbrush!! That's hilarious. Now I gotta know!

Cool site Larry. What gives with the toothbrush? You must know.

The strap button pulled out and he stuck a toothbrush there to hold the strap in place. Apparently it worked well enough that he never bothered to fix it.

Danny W.

That is an interesting guitar. I've got a sunburst 1960 175D with the switch on the cut away like Pat Metheny's one rather than in the usual spot. People on this forum thought it was probably a factory customization. My serial no is A34XXX so a bit later than Metheny's one. The only 175 with a bound head stock in the books I've got is one of the Steve Howe signature models, but wasn't released till 2001, so yes very unusual.(I just did some more reading, it seems Metheny installed the switch and bridge pickup himself).

But what I've always wanted to know is why the toothbrush?

Those not familiar with Metheny, look closely at the guitar's tailpiece; there is always a toothbrush stuck in there.

I saw him play this guitar a couple of times. The 1st time I couldn't believe it so I got up close and yup, that's a toothbrush.

I have never figured this one out.

post-64811-063199300 1397884406_thumb.jpg

LOL! The strap button that plugs into the end of the tailpiece was broken or lost. In its place, Metheny used a replacement...yes, that toothbrush! That replacement became a permanent fixture. The toothbrush can be seen in just about every picture I posted on my Metheny ES-175 info site...

Also, duct tape is used along the guitar's bottom, probably used as a result of the guitar being dropped...

larry

Ah - now I see, looking at your pics closely. Mystery solved, thankyou. He has wound the end of the strap round the tailpiece and used the toothbrush to secure it. I thought you meant he had jammed the toothbrush into the endpin hole. Anyway it's a bizarre solution.

I see that the toothbrush was in a different position in the Egan/Gottlieb band....

Archived