Gibson Brands Forums

First single

Tman

Hey forumites I have finally realized a bucket list dream of writing and recording a song.

Recorded with my Gibson J-45 custom rosewood, Logic Pro on an iMac, Dave Thomas Advanced Audio tube microphone, and Apogee Quartet analogue digital converter.

My nephew sings it. Written by myself, lyrics by a woman who answered an ad on craigslist looking for a lyricist, and strings by an Austrian music professor from Graz, Austria. Produced by a sound engineer in Melbourne, Australia. My nephew sang it in Texas where he lives and I recorded the guitar and bass at my home in Malibu between January and March of this year. Technology is pretty cool ain't it? Global effort that would have taken years just a few years ago.

Here's the song. Would love your opinion! It ain't guitar rock, more like wimpy love music.

... t-over-you

Hey forumites I have finally realized a bucket list dream of writing and recording a song.

Recorded with my Gibson J-45 custom rosewood, Logic Pro on an iMac, Dave Thomas Advanced Audio tube microphone, and Apogee Quartet analogue digital converter.

My nephew sings it. Written by myself, lyrics by a woman who answered an ad on craigslist looking for a lyricist, and strings by an Austrian music professor from Graz, Austria. Produced by a sound engineer in Melbourne, Australia. My nephew sang it in Texas where he lives and I recorded the guitar and bass at my home in Malibu between January and March of this year. Technology is pretty cool ain't it? Global effort that would have taken years just a few years ago.

Here's the song. Would love your opinion! It ain't guitar rock, more like wimpy love music.

... t-over-you

That link is not working for me ....

... t-over-you

Working now..

And its real good... Well produced, builds up nicely, sung well, good lyrics... Cant find a single negative thing about it (apart from the lack of power chords that is :P :))

You should do more [thumbup]

I like it! Two very small things I would do...add a little intro on guitar to bring the user in first. i would also either shorten or add a little guitar where you have the breaks, as it seems to just end like the end of the song. Overall, very nice song and good vocals. Congrats on a fine project.

Very nice tune, sounds professional and your voice is very pleasant to listen too... Congratulations on a great song,,, [thumbup]

Thanks very much Dave!

Working now..

And its real good... Well produced, builds up nicely, sung well, good lyrics... Cant find a single negative thing about it (apart from the lack of power chords that is :P :))

You should do more [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs! I agree, it needs power chords played through a Marshall stack.

I like it! Two very small things I would do...add a little intro on guitar to bring the user in first. i would also either shorten or add a little guitar where you have the breaks, as it seems to just end like the end of the song. Overall, very nice song and good vocals. Congrats on a fine project.

Thanks for the kind comments Drog! I actually did have an intro that the producer said, "Let's change this just a bit". He thought the original guitar intro sounded too fok music like. I hear you on the breaks. It is supposed to play out like a real life drama played out by the strings. Plucked violin is the slightly happier voice saying, "she'll come back one day". The droning cello and bass say "she ain't coming back". Also the thought behind the end of the song. Abrupt end, back to reality, you lost her. Admitedly that's an over analysis [crying] .

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Can we expect more songs?

Thanks krock! Huge compliment. Yes I hope so. This is really a bucket list thing and we are going for it. My nephew and I have so far written 24 songs and we want to pare them down to an album's worth (are there such things as albums anymore?). We will record them over the next few months. Thanks again!

Very professional indeed and very listenable. Loads better than me and my punk rock band would ever manage.

Offered entirely in the spirit of constructive criticism,

I was really waiting for the drums to come in.

Then they came in - at just the right time - but they didn't sound as good as they could have done. I am listening on small speakers, but, compared to the rest of the sound (especially your lovely, lively sounding acoustic) the drums are really generic sounding, gated reverb, not very dynamic..... a big, live, airy drum sound would bring another dimension to the track. Not at all easy to do.... but maybe worth another go at the drum track?

well done again though - sounds like putting the whole thing together was an inteesting project in itself!

kindest regards,

Manse

Very professional indeed and very listenable. Loads better than me and my punk rock band would ever manage.

Offered entirely in the spirit of constructive criticism,

I was really waiting for the drums to come in.

Then they came in - at just the right time - but they didn't sound as good as they could have done. I am listening on small speakers, but, compared to the rest of the sound (especially your lovely, lively sounding acoustic) the drums are really generic sounding, gated reverb, not very dynamic..... a big, live, airy drum sound would bring another dimension to the track. Not at all easy to do.... but maybe worth another go at the drum track?

well done again though - sounds like putting the whole thing together was an inteesting project in itself!

kindest regards,

Manse

Thanks Manse! Constructive criticism welcomed - I always learn. I agree and I think it is one of the dangers of virtual instruments. I think a live drummer would have been even better! [thumbup]

Pretty good production values, better than I could've done. But it seemed like the vocal phrasing was a little stiff, like it needed to swing a bit more.

Thanks cjsinla! Appreciate the critique. My nephew told me that it is difficult singing some else's words. Like playing a guitar cover I reckon. He tried to go inside himself and remember when he had a bad breakup. I know he has a much better voice than I do for sure.

Perfect day in LA today.

Thanks cjsinla! Appreciate the critique. My nephew told me that it is difficult singing some else's words. Like playing a guitar cover I reckon. He tried to go inside himself and remember when he had a bad breakup. I know he has a much better voice than I do for sure.

Perfect day in LA today.

Life is good... sometimes ;)

Life is good... sometimes ;)

Yep, good with the not so good sometimes [unsure].

Man, that's great! The acoustic guitar is very James Taylor, but the vocal is more modern - that's a great combination. And the strings are just gorgeous! [thumbup]

Thanks Surf, really appreciate it!-That's exactly the combination we were shooting for!

Funny I listen to the guitar and think "shite, there's a mistake, oops, another one." I recorded it fairly simply and the producer really worked some studio magic to the sound. Technology is great these days.

Yep, good with the not so good sometimes [unsure].

Thanks Surf, really appreciate it!-That's exactly the combination we were shooting for!

Funny I listen to the guitar and think "shite, there's a mistake, oops, another one." I recorded it fairly simply and the producer really worked some studio magic to the sound. Technology is great these days.

Yeah technology is amazing...

Ive spent most of my life getting good at multi media, worked in recording studios, editing video, computer games and on my own music for like the last 25 years... Now its so easy to do you have 15 year old kids on Youtube and the like who have already mastered it all (even if only to a basic level)... makes me sick sometimes for that reason :P but it is cool [thumbup]

Very cool!

I've always liked strings in guitar songs, even as a Blues-Hound, I've always liked the feel they add. Even as Electric Guitar oriented as I am, I prefer electrics over acoustics, and like the mix of strings with electrics...

I think the first time I recall them being added to rock/Blues guitar was The Moody Blues Knights In White Satin, and from there I've heard a few great arrangements over the years and have always liked them...

I think Gary Moore did some good ones too...

I really enjoyed that! Well done!

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon!

Very cool!

I've always liked strings in guitar songs, even as a Blues-Hound, I've always liked the feel they add. Even as Electric Guitar oriented as I am, I prefer electrics over acoustics, and like the mix of strings with electrics...

I think the first time I recall them being added to rock/Blues guitar was The Moody Blues Knights In White Satin, and from there I've heard a few great arrangements over the years and have always liked them...

I think Gary Moore did some good ones too...

Me too, I love the combination. Although a bit produced, the goal was to do an acoustic guitar song with background, sometime foreground strings.

Next will be piano, guitar and quintet [biggrin]

btw I'm a rock hound. This song, I'm not sure where it came from. Very different from what I noodle around with at home.

Archived