Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck is awesome

Rabs

Man.. I was just watching Guitar Heroes at the BBC on TV and Mr Beck was on.. Man, that guy is just something else.. Whats weird is that I don't listen to his albums, but every time I see him playing live I find it mesmarising to watch..

Just an amazing player.

I couldn't find what I was watching on TV tonight.. but I found this classic footage instead that's pretty cool [thumbup]

Love his use of the volume control here [thumbup] (and love that Oxblood LP)

uses a voice box in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUINS7NH44

Man.. I was just watching Guitar Heroes at the BBC on TV and Mr Beck was on.. Man, that guy is just something else.. Whats weird is that I don't listen to his albums, but every time I see him playing live I find it mesmarising to watch..

Just an amazing player.

I couldn't find what I was watching on TV tonight.. but I found this classic footage instead that's pretty cool [thumbup]

uses a voice box in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUINS7NH44

I personally think he is the best. Live at Ronnie Scott's was unbelievable. And you're right, I much prefer watching him play than necessarily listen to his albums.

Blow by blow is the exception for me. It's just awesome.

Lol,,

Sorry Rabs... I had to have a chuckle at your topic title.

"Jeff Beck is Awesome" isn't really news...

Blow by Blow for me was always the benchmark.

And even through all the 80's crap music(my opinion of course and not fact), he could do no wrong in my mind.

But I guess I have been listening to him for a few decades now.

So to see a statement like that makes me chuckle a little.

But yes,, he is awesome,, and you should get some. :)

Lol,,

Sorry Rabs... I had to have a chuckle at your topic title.

"Jeff Beck is Awesome" isn't really news...

Blow by Blow for me was always the benchmark.

And even through all the 80's crap music(my opinion of course and not fact), he could do no wrong in my mind.

But I guess I have been listening to him for a few decades now.

So to see a statement like that makes me chuckle a little.

But yes,, he is awesome,, and you should get some. :)

Lol... it was just one of those moments when I was just so taken with watching him that I had to share it.. Of course we all know how amazing he is.. But I just thought id confirm that for you all

;) :)

When he was in Camden NJ for his short Who Else? tour, after the Johnny Lang kid got done half the audience left, and the remaining maybe 1500 geezers like myself all moved down front. He gave us a lesson that night. CWEAL riff, the one that made all of us want to play, he hit it like three times, not short like the first on the record, all three long, and the third one long enough that we were on our feet while he was still wailing at that one lick, pulling on the bridge with the edge of his palm. After that song it was silent. I said "Thank You Jeff" at normal voice, and he turned around and bowed slightly from the waist and said "My Pleasure!". If he'd done Freeway Jam I'da prolly cried like a baby. He don't do that song, not since back then, and even back then he didn't do it much. I covered it for my record, white trash honky bashing at Freeway Jam, just like prolly thousands of us did back then.

A voice that only he has, you know it in one note. I love that guy.

rct

A voice that only he has, you know it in one note. I love that guy.

This is the key. He has such a unique way of talking to you through the guitar. [thumbup] I didn't really appreciate him in real time. As a youngster I was all about Hendrix and Page. But as I've gotten older I can really appreciate the brilliance in what he did back then (and continues to do today). Very few people have that much style and taste in their playing.

Yep, "Blow By Blow" was it for me. By the time "Wired" came out I was a fan forever, and that inspired me to backup and listen to "Beckola" and the earlier stuff with Rod Stewart on vocals. It was interesting to hear the Blow/Wired style under development on the earlier albums.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity (and good sense) to go see him when the "Wired" tour came through town. The touring band was the same as the studio band from the album (best I could tell), with Jan Hammer, Max Middleton, Michael Walden, etc. I believe Jerry Goodman was also on electric violin, which pretty much made the band "Jeff Beck and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Not a bad thing at all.

Anyway here's a photo I shot at that February 1977 concert (although bad 35mm/digital transfer).

3087047137_5bb1d48387.jpg

Yep, "Blow By Blow" was it for me. By the time "Wired" came out I was a fan forever, and that inspired me to backup and listen to "Beckola" and the earlier stuff with Rod Stewart on vocals. It was interesting to hear the Blow/Wired style under development on the earlier albums.

Same here, L5. Jan Hammer... there's a name I haven't heard for a while. Also talented.

I've been thinking about learning 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers for a while, now. This thread has renewed my interest.

Archived