Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500MNS

mgrasso

For those that like long stories of quests for the unobtainable, and for those that take pity on those of us that have that Epiphone Monkey on our backs.

(I originally started the tale of this acquisition in the Texan vs AJ-500 thread, so excuse me if I reiterate some of that content here.)

I have been looking for a first run Masterbilt AJ, Rosewood or Mahogany, for about 2 years since I bought my DR-500PNS.

(I love the sound and feel of my AJ 18S-12 NA and wanted a companion Slope Shoulder 6 string to compliment it.)

But I but could only find refurbished models on e-bay starting in the $400 - $550 range.

Too much for me to spend on refurbished.

Over the winter I lost the bidding war on a first run on e-bay for $550

Feeling like I might not find one, I thought about ordering a Texan, but one has never surfaced in my area.

While in Miami for spring break, the local GC had one so I headed over to give it a play and see if it would satisfy.

I have heard all of the great reviews on these and was eager to play it.

It might have been this model, but it sounded flat with no real voice. It did not ring like my other laminated body acoustics.

I thought this was strange because I knew the back and top were solid.

Strings were new, so I know it was not that.

So I moved on.

They had the Gibson J-35 that played nice for $1,700. But next to it was the new J-15, walnut back and sides with a 3 piece beautiful figured neck.This blew both away for $1,500. (all AJ fans should try one)

Then I noticed an AJ-220 on the wall and gave it a try. Sounded great and played real nice.

So in proper order:

1. J-15 - $1,500

2. AJ-220 - $199

3. J135 - $1,700

4.Texan - $399

Another great demonstration on why playing the guitar and comparing them to others is necessay (if possible, I did have to go to Miami for the comparison)

I did not buy any of the above. I came home to Pittsburgh and decided the AJ-220 was going to be it.

For $200, it was a great low cost alternative and had a great booming voice.

There are 2 GCs in my city and both carried the model.

So off I went to the one store.

The one on the wall had a chunk taken out of the top.

No problem said the salesman, we have a new on in the back.

He brings it out and as he pulls it out of the box, and the top was split from the top to bottom.

OK, on to store number 2.

They had 1, but this one was no way like the one I played in Miami.

(I have mention here that the AJ-220CE is a good guitar, but I have a problem with the aesthetics of a slope shoulder guitar with a cutaway. Just does not do it for me, so I did not entertain the thought of buying one.

So I moved on.

( Side note: I am one to take life's little hints. There was a reason non of these played well. I just had to find out why.)

That night I located a used 05 Masterbilt AJ-500MNS at a GC in Connecticut that was mislabeled on their website as a Masterbilt AJ-200MNV, which of course does not exist, but I knew what it was from the supplied photo.

The price on this was $299.

I came up with two reasons why it was this low:

1. It was in bad shape

2. Others thought it was the AJ-200 being sold for $299.

I called the store that Monday morning and Travis (here's your plug Travis), told me that the guitar was in like new condition with no marks or wear. I could float the cost for 12 months same as cash. $25 for shipping.

It took three days to get to Pittsburgh. Pristine. Not a mark or flaw on it.

I do love a quest with a happy ending.

Took it last Friday to our Tunedown (what we call our gatherings, 15 - 20 members. Guitars, mandolins, banjos, upright bass, all types of players and music. And of course your typical Martin and Taylor players plus a few other brands.)

The Taylor owners were amazed at how deep the sound was. The Martin players loved the neck and the sound.

And at $299, I have no problem letting them play my AJ. Although they are very hesitant to have others touch their $2.5 - $3K guitars.

Now, onward to a new quest for the elusive Masterbilt AJ-500RENS. (I do loves me my Epiphones msp_biggrin.gif)

Oh yeah, photos. (sorry they are from my phone. Will shoot outside later.)

5459902C-3A97-45AF-9C95-F31EFDE86C7C_zpsxl8uvqeg.jpg

A474292F-A62C-4406-9D83-33C127C374A9_zpspbsoxw8h.jpg

3227A882-FB39-48C6-8A90-8E18669C7475_zpsbibmqva1.jpg

6D2DFA57-F79A-4D64-B067-F28F2EC708F4_zpsxr6ohg9u.jpg

I love a story with a happy ending! Looks like your Masterbilt collection is growing! I have a set of three Masterbilts. Along with the AJ-220sce, an Epiphone Hummingbird, and a Gibson Hummingbird as well. Even my $3000 Gibson Hummingbird cowers in tone and volume when compared to the Masterbilts. (I'm allowed to say that, I own both!) You'll love the AJ-500R if you find one. Just as wonderful as the Mahogany is, but with the delicious rich deep Rosewood tone. They both just feel right in your arms, and to the ears, and they are a delight to behold! Good luck on finding your R !msp_thumbup.gif

1398007212[/url]' post='1511561']

I love a story with a happy ending! Looks like your Masterbilt collection is growing! I have a set of three Masterbilts. Along with the AJ-220sce, an Epiphone Hummingbird, and a Gibson Hummingbird as well. Even my $3000 Gibson Hummingbird cowers in tone and volume when compared to the Masterbilts. (I'm allowed to say that, I own both!) You'll love the AJ-500R if you find one. Just as wonderful as the Mahogany is, but with the delicious rich deep Rosewood tone. They both just feel right in your arms, and to the ears, and they are a delight to behold! Good luck on finding your R !msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks GL.

I love the older satin finish Masterbilts. They just feel so nice to play.I have a feeling that's why they sound so nice.

That Hummingbird I just bought has been getting the playtime this weekend. It sounded kind of dull at the store, but after new strings and adjustment, she sounds fine. Great neck. I might have to hang her next to the AJ for a while.

1398015835[/url]' post='1511592']

The secret is to BE PATIENT! I'm now seeing more and more AJs on ebay than just a year ago. Glad things worked out for you!

Oh, I can be patient.

I went a whole year without buying a new guitar waiting for something clean and desirable to cross my path.Then in the past 3 weeks I buy 2.

I agree it's all in the timing.

Archived