Gibson Brands Forums

What is your belief about your acoustic guitar(s)?

onewilyfool

So Which school are you in?

1. Do you believe that after years of buying this guitar and that guitar in search for the HOLY GRAIL that you have actually found one, or that ONE is out there waiting for you to discover it??? When you get this ONE, your desire for all other guitars will cease?

OR

2. Guitars are like tools, or golf clubs? You need a different club in the sand trap, to drive, to putt? Similarly, you need a different guitar for each different sound you want to create, or each different song or type of music you want to play?

The ONE…or the MANY? Which is your philosophy???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done a little bit of "The Many" in capital letters.

I just love acoustic guitars, I guess, and like exploring as many sounds and way to play as I can, hence a few Gibsons, a few Nationals and Martins....

But Perhaps...

That next one could be "IT" and do it all, plus a bit of slide.

BluesKing777.

I'm guilty of having too many under the notion that they all fill specific roles. However I also believe there CAN be one acoustic. And it's not always the one that ranks highest. If the house caught fire I'd grab my 64 SJ before the Martin or either of the J 200s. It doesn't measure up to them but it fits me perfectly.

I've had quite a few acoustics, mostly one at a time, and I believe you can play fingerstyle on a dread (see JT) or furiously strum a 00 (Ian Anderson), you can play dropped turnings on a short scale, you can play modern acoustic on a vintage Martin or ragtime on a Goodall. It's mostly about technique, and a good tool, not about a toolbox, or the perfect tool. I know this because there are thousands of players out there who are better than I am, and I'm good enough to get paid, who will not own more than a handful of guitars in their lives, never more than one at a time, and they will play them, well, and never ask such deep questions. Why? Because they're not on internet guitar discussion boards.

P

I don't think there's a "holy grail" of guitars. There are millions of sweet guitars out there. "Holy Grail" is just a state of mind that makes us feel good when we buy a guitar that we have literally been dying to get....... How many guitars I have just happens to be what I have at the moment. I have them because I enjoy musical instruments. All the guitars sound like guitars. They can all be used to play the same music, although some are better-suited for some things than others. I don't think there's any reason that someone has to justify why they own one or hundred guitars....Besides, guitars are like women. You can't have too many.

The only sure thing about guitars for me is that there is always one out there waiting around the corner to stop me dead in my tracks. I have to constantly be on my guard against my own impulsiveness and listen to that faint voice in my head saying "Woof, back away from the guitar, go home and make yourself a cup of Death Wish coffee and see how you feel about it in a couple of days."

One of my problems is I do not have a Holy Grail guitar. I am not a "tone found" because there are way too many sounds out there to settle on one as "the sound". I am also not a "tone hound" because I do not have a clue what the heck will grab me about a guitar which is why I have so many guitars with different monikers on the headstock. But what I really have to be wary of is my fascination with the odd and absurd. Got a guitar in the house right now I am thinking about primarily because not only have I never seen one of these but never even heard of one. Great backstory about how it came to be as well.

Funny; I have more shotguns than I can ever shoot, more fly rods than I can ever fish, more pipes than I can ever smoke, but until recently I owned only one instrument in each "catagory" - 6-string, 12-string, banjo, mandolin, mountain dulcimer. I recenly bought a second 6-string, a second banjo, and a reophonic guitar. But I think I'm done. And I'm never looking for the "next best thing" - quite happy with what I've got.

I believe that variety is the spice of life. I love my Collings D2H guitar but after I play it and nothing else for a week or more I love to switch to my Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom Shop guitar....Just for a flavour change and a different playing feel......Love both guitars but prefer singing with the Gibson and Flatpicking with the Collings... Also own a Takamine EAN10C with cedar top and Mahogany back and sides....she is like my first girlfriend and I still think about her now and then. The difference is I still play with my Takamine once and a while and I do not know where my first girlfriend is and my wife would not let my play with her anyway..... Besides playing around with different guitars to me is more fun and less hassle than dealing with women! I plan to spice things up a bit by getting a nice slope shouldered dread.......Maybe a Martin or a Gibson....It is just fun. A while ago I had the hots for a nice Sheryl Crow SJ but when I actually got my hands on one it was a complete disappointment and let down after just strumming an E chord I hung it back up on the wall!....Then I played a Jackson Browne Model One and it blew my mind....That is my hearts desire now......Then I played a $1700 Breedlove that just suprised the hell out of me the other day and an amazing $1800 Larrivee with walnut back and side Both blew the Sheryl Crow Jumbo out of the water ..... my mind is wandering again.....Just another fickle guitar player I am!

Most of the stuff I read here (and a couple of other guitar forums) starts and stops with people who are on forums. Those who aren't focus on playing, those who are get side tracked by bling, saddles, nuts, plecs, gimmicks, insecurities and so on....

The concept of 'the one' or 'holy grail' can be brought down by reasonable argument to finding a guitar that's close to your perfect setup preferences. No matter how much weight people throw behind wild claims and whatnot, the reality is often little more than any particular guitar box-ticking a few preferences you may have but which have no meaning or worth to the world at large. There's no right or wrong and it all comes down to the ultimate divider, skill level....

The concept of 'the one' or 'holy grail' can be brought down by reasonable argument to finding a guitar that's close to your perfect setup preferences.

If that were the case we would all be playing Zagerized Estebans (at least by the year 2525).

The thing about the concept of a "Holy Grail" or "perfect" guitar assumes that as players we are static and not the most curious breed of hobbyists on the face of the planet. My ears and fingers still tell me subjectively which is the best guitar I own and which is, to put it kindly, not the best of the breed. Why did I buy them. Probably because they were cheap. I just cannot resist a 1930s Supertone parlor or Regal Recording King for $30. But there is always the thought lurking that I can pull more sound out of this or that guitar than it is supposed to be able to put out. Got nothing to do with spending a small fortune on saddles or bridge pins made of fossilized walrus penis or even a setup. It has all to do with fingers and being able to manipulate them as they move across the strings.

Many interesting views in this thread - most seem to bend toward some size of herd.

I subscribe to this - an array of guitars is inspiring and practical if you fx use different tunings. Good in relation to different types of song too.

So between 3, 5 and 10 - YES.

Maybe exactly therefor it gets tempting to go contra and play with the thought of the one and only.

That brave horse you would pick for the BIG RIDE. . .

For many years this guitar was my D-35. Now Things might have changed.

Not for the admired and courted Hummingbird.

Not for the cherished and celebrated Firebird.

Not for the extraordinary and mystical 1953 J-45.

Not for the HD-28V.

Not for the home-drawn rio rose 12-fret.

Talkin' 'bout the re-necked (2012), re-topped (around 1980) 1966 Country Western.

This now long scaled guitar might be the ace. Especially after sent through some severe series of Pete Townshend strum-attacks earlier this year - to loosen things up and shake the components together.

Still a bit loud/rumbly it is, but much less tight than when I got it home from re-necking - and definitely better sounding than when I first got it in 2010.

If I could cut a tip of the power - either with 11's instead of 12's or an ivory saddle instead of bone, it would be a dream.

Feel - look and sound wise. I am very lucky to have found this highly unique old Gibson. . .

Will tell more about it soon.

I think having a few is OK. Too many is compulsive consumerism. Fortunately we all get to decide where the line is.

I've been doing this for over 50 years and am just recently coming to the place where what I've got is more than enough.

GAS still tempts me but I'm getting better at resisting that temptation than I ever used to be.

I have several . It wasn't always like this , I started playing in the mid seventies , didn't play then , nearly as much as I do now but I did play , mostly at house parties , camping or practicing by myself. I played well into the eighties , then kinda lost interest. I still have one guitar from back then , a 1974 Fender F-75 acoustic. Through the nineties and up until 2010 , that Fender acoustic rarely saw the light of day , it hardly ever came out of it's case and at the time , was the only guitar I owned . In 2010 , I was at a house party that was a real good jam session , I was sitting , watching and enjoying the music . The next day , the F-75 came out of it's case and got new strings. I have played it pretty much every day since . Then I bought my first electric guitar , a Fender Stratocaster , a couple of months later , a nice Art & Lutherie twelve string acoustic was added followed by an Epiphone EL-00 acoustic . I decided I wanted a Telecaster and bought one of those too , followed by a Dean resonator , another Art & Lutherie acoustic , this time a parlor sized Ami six string. Not too long after that , a second Dean resonator was added to the herd . I started thinking about getting something that had humbuckers and had some attitude , for playing slide / blues so a cheap Epiphone Les Paul was purchased . I tried a few Squier classic Vibe telecasters resulting in a 50's butterscotch blonde model joining the collection . I now had guys coming over to jam so I bought a Fender blacktop jazz bass , followed by a real nice Gretsch drum kit . I added a third resonator shortly after , a Republic Highway 61 . Two more Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters were purchased next , a Thinline and a CVC . At some point , my girlfriend , who happens to encourage all of this , bought me a nice Mandolin . I was gassing for some nicer instruments , more professional quality / collectable stuff which led to me putting a deposit on a Fender 52 hotrod Telecaster , I was making payments , building on my deposit , paying down the balance , along comes Christmas , my girlfriend paid off the guitar so I could have it in time for the holidays ! I started looking at and trying out some archtop style guitars , that led to me taking a liking to an Epiphone ES - 339 Pro and buying that. For a while , I've been saying , I gotta have a really nice Acoustic , something that sounds real sweet , plays and feel real nice and will hold it's value . A couple of weeks ago I put a deposit on a limited edition Gibson J-45 , one of sixty five made , red spruce top , 30's sunburst , a lovely guitar. I've been paying down the balance , chipping away at it, once it is paid off it will join the collection . I played/ tried several J-45's and only found a few that really sang out , this was one of them ! .

Why so many guitars ? , or multiples of one model or style ?

I often play in open tunings and play slide guitar , so having two guitars tuned to open D is possible , or guitars tuned to open G or open E , it's convenient to reach for a guitar that's ready to go.

Each of my guitars has it's own unique qualities , it's own tone , it's own feel.

Well, I know that I only need one guitar. I've never looked for a holy grail as I don't think it's out there and since I live in a relatively remote place I'd have to travel a lot to look for such a thing. I'd rather spend the time left playing the guitars I have. At first I started buying different styles of guitars and I got sucked into the Martin D-styles. As time progressed I realized that I preferred mahogany to rosewood. Once I got my J-50, originally because it was a short scale, I became enamored of slope shoulder dreads. But I ain't no spring chicken so I figured a couple of smaller guitars might be a good thing for my shoulder. I sold all my skis and flyrods so the only toys I really care about at this point are my guitars. Just recently I've realized that breaking in a new guitar takes at least a couple of years and then will continue well beyond the years I have left so I pretty much feel I'm reaching the end of guitar acquisitions as I can't spend that much time opening up more than a harem that allows me to play one each day. I'm really enjoying the guitars I own and how they change with time and playing. I've realized that some are more suitable for this song or that song. Some sound better than others when capoed. Some are funkier and and some I string lighter for sore finger day. Only my J-50 has an onboard pickup but I never plug it in since I prefer the sound of my ET5-SS with a soundhole pickup to any of my others when it comes to plugging in. I tried to sell my Santa Cruz D/PW and when it didn't sell I started playing it again and have found that having a rosewood D-style dread has it's time and place. There are a couple of young local musicians I've had my eyes on and if the time comes and is right I think I might lay a good guitar or two on the ones I like. I think I'd rather be the one to decide where they go next. Guitars certainly are the funnest toys I've ever owned.

The thing about the concept of a "Holy Grail" or "perfect" guitar assumes that as players we are static. It has all to do with fingers and being able to manipulate them as they move across the strings.
This is a really good point. As our playing and ears evolve, so likely will our preferenes.

I do think there is a difference between a grael in thse sense of "gotta have one like EC Keef Lester Jorma Doc Earl Big Mon BB Albert Buddy Robbie Tony" etc-and one where the nexus of sound and playabilty takes you to a place where you forget aout the guitar and just create (which is where Im at with the J35 and the VS).

I want to be a one guitar guy but I can't see how to get there. For the last 6 weeks if have only played my J45TV and have been in heaven...just playing, immersed more in the music, playing as good as I have in a long time, and getting more variety of amazing sounds out of the J-45. With more focus, I feel better connected to that guitar rather than spending time going through some compulsive A/B trip that I go through every once in a while. I having been playing the J45 with total contentment and feel I could be a one guitar guy with it.....but... this is exactly how I felt about my LG-2 about six months ago.

Many interesting views in this thread - most seem to bend toward some size of herd.

I subscribe to this - an array of guitars is inspiring and practical if you fx use different tunings. Good in relation to different types of song too.

So between 3, 5 and 10 - YES.

Maybe exactly therefor it gets tempting to go contra and play with the thought of the one and only.

That brave horse you would pick for the BIG RIDE. . .

For many years this guitar was my D-35. Now Things might have changed.

Not for the admired and courted Hummingbird.

Not for the cherished and celebrated Firebird.

Not for the extraordinary and mystical 1953 J-45.

Not for the HD-28V.

Not for the home-drawn rio rose 12-fret.

Talkin' 'bout the re-necked (2012), re-topped (around 1980) 1966 Country Western.

This now long scaled guitar might be the ace. Especially after sent through some severe series of Pete Townshend strum-attacks earlier this year - to loosen things up and shake the components together.

Still a bit loud/rumbly it is, but much less tight than when I got it home from re-necking - and definitely better sounding than when I first got it in 2010.

If I could cut a tip of the power - either with 11's instead of 12's or an ivory saddle instead of bone, it would be a dream.

Feel - look and sound wise. I am very lucky to have found this highly unique old Gibson. . .

Will tell more about it soon.

Maybe try some ebony bridge pins on it, Em7, before you do all the other expensive stuff!

BluesKing777.

. This is a really good point. As our playing and ears evolve, preferences likley will change.

I do think there is a difference, however, between a grael in thse sense of "gotta have one like EC Keef Lester Jorma Doc Earl Big Mon BB Albert Buddy Robbie Tony" etc-and one where the nexus of sound and playabilty takes you to a place where you forget aout the guitar and just create. which is where Im at with the

J35 and the VS. Dont call it a grael, just pick.

Another side to it is that we only get to try most of the guitars for a minute, some not at all, unless you know the guitar and owner perhaps.

So we don't really know the ins and outs of the guitar until we have had it and tortured it a while, torn the wings off and stick it to the wall....

BluesKing777.

Archived