Gibson Brands Forums

Possible to have a custom version of older unused Gibson Les Paul?

ProfJohn

Hi, I am looking for a new version of a Gibson Les Paul that I used in the 80's/90's. It was a Studio Standard, I think. It had Gibson what I think were Tim Shaw pickups. If I provide them can I get the custom shop to recreate it? Or would it be better to find an old '84, refurb it and drop my own pickups in it?

I loved that edge sound with the clean that I could accomplish with it. Is there a modern version of those that I might be able to get into? My hearing ain't what it used to be so a little missing here or there would be okay for my cover band's purposes.

Contact a Gibson Custom shop dealer and provide them with the specs and ask for a quote to build you one. I think you will probably have to put the Shaw pickups in yourself though. You may just want to find a new Studio at a dealer and refinish it from there as the cost for a one-off is usually pretty expensive and it sounds like the thing you are really wanting is the pickups. If you refinish it yourself or have someone local do it, you can match what you had real close and have an eye on it while it is being done. Just my opinion....

Archived