Gibson Brands Forums

P90 for HB in Epi LP Junior

rudi

Hello. Slowly trying to rebuild a guitar collection with next to no cash. I started by buying a used scratch and dent Epi LP Junior from Guitar Center. It's dinged up, but the neck is good - no twist; good (bolt-on) fit. Basically it will need all hardware. To get it up and running asap, I started with a bone nut, strings, and a Dream 90 humbucker-shaped P90. I'm amazed at how good this pup sounds - tight, with nice sparkle and spank. It wired and fitted right in no problem`. My complaint is that it makes a lot of hum. My connections are good with solder and shrink tubing, and the hum varies in intensity as I move around and change my proximity to the amp (a VERY funky old SS Dean Markley combo from the mid-eighties; US made in California. Again, floored by the sound for the dollar). Can anyone suggest a way to reduce or eliminate this humming? At the times when it is silent, or nearly so, it sounds just amazing - very warm and rich and responsive. If I didn't know this were a solid state amp, I would think it was running EL84s.

Any suggestions or point toward a thread or topic on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rudi

Hum around amps, fluorescent lights, old style TVs and computer monitors is the downside to using single coil pickups. Good quality leads may reduce it a bit but I've never found a way of eliminating hum completely. As you've discovered, moving your position in relation to the source of the hum helps as well. Probably the only surefire way of eliminating hum is to use a humbucker.

I have to agree with Versatile - the tone is so flat-out gooood that it's worth a little interference. I'm just amazed at the tone from this new pickup. Best I've heard. And this is through an old solid state amp. Can't wait to hear it through my new Vox tube amp.I just may have to borrow some money to speed up the process.Thank you all for your time and input.

Rudi

This is the used Epi LP Jr I just got with the new Dream P-90 pickup and also the old Dean Markley SS 10" combo:

post-20040-093207600 1398100598_thumb.jpg

Archived