Gibson Brands Forums

Some tips for my new EB-03 bass setup, please !

AndyFraser65

Hi to you all,

I recently purchased (thanks to a popular italian online store), a EB-03 bass, of which I am very satisfied; i state that i am a guitarist and i play guitar for more than 25 years, but for quite some time now, i am passionate about electric bass and being a lover of 70's rock (especially Cream and Free), the choice of this Epiphone bass seemed to me almost mandatory! …

I would like to ask an opinion about the set-up of my bass; i do for many years, all the adjustments and all the repairs that i am able to do alone, and so, i started to do this job...

I usually measure the neck of a bass with a capo at the first fret and a finger at the last fret where the neck join the body, so I measured the action at the eighth fret with a feeler gauge and, with this Epiphone EB-03, i have a value of 0.15mm, i would say definitely a straight neck…

As you can imagine, i'm not yet a very capable bass player but, i can say, i really like the feel of the neck and the string action is quite low, then, i like the smoothness of neck !

As a reference, the action of the strings that I have measured is at the twelfth fret, 1.6mm for the D string and 2.0mm to the E string. The strings are the original from the factory.

I would like to ask what you think about it, for your experience, particularly, if the truss rod or the neck itself may be damaged adjusted so straight... Personally, i do not think that there could be problems, but I prefer to ask opinions of others with more experience than me.

There were many years since i used to buy an Epiphone instrument, i must confess that i do not have much experience with instruments from this brand, which is why i'm asking your precious help.

I would like to thank you in advance for any advice and any attention you want to give me ;-)

Care and and adjustment of a bass guitar is the same as for a six string guitar. If you know how to set up a guitar, then your bass will be straight forward for you. The size and number of strings, and the length of the neck is all that's really different. Setting up an Epiphone isn't any different from setting up any other instrument with a truss rod when you can get at it. It's far easier than setting up a Fender that requires unbolting the neck in some cases. The only real challenge is getting the three point bridge set, but that's just a matter of time and ongoing adjustment instead of anything difficult or potentially harmful if you make a mistake.

Have fun with your new bass, and welcome to the best end of the sound spectrum.

Hi Gaolee,

Thank very much for your kind effort !

In fact, i think it's easier to set-up an electric bass compared to a guitar, at least this is my personal impression...

For now, i've not touched the bridge, the strings action seems to be really very good also with the factory settings, at least for a cheap instrument like the EB-03(I mean cheap but only at the price ...)

• 11 months later...

The only thing I can recommend that is SPECIAL about the EB basses is the bridge. BE SURE the bottom of the bridge is lower than the top of it to keep the strings pulling at an angle. The bridge should not be parallel to the top of the body, and should not be lower at the top than at the bottom of the bridge...it may cause the bridge anchoring screws to come loose from the body.

They are GREAT basses, and I agree with the low price they are even better.

Ejoy it

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can recommend that is SPECIAL about the EB basses is the bridge. BE SURE the bottom of the bridge is lower than the top of it to keep the strings pulling at an angle. The bridge should not be parallel to the top of the body, and should not be lower at the top than at the bottom of the bridge...it may cause the bridge anchoring screws to come loose from the body.

True. Same goes for the Casady bass.

Archived