Gibson Brands Forums

I Am Brand New To Guitars, Advice??

xZ1mM3r

Hey whats going on guys, i am a brand new member here, just joined. I have not bought a guitar yet, i have never played one, but i have a desire to learn. I have looked around at some beginner guitars and starter kits. I found the Epiphone Special II Player Pack, and i am leaning towards buying it to get started. I have gotten some advice that it would be a good idea to check Used Guitars first, such as from Guitar Center, but its tough because i dont really know whats a good guitar or what is a good deal. I find some Epiphone Special II guitars on there for 100$ or less, which seems like a good deal, but i also see a lot of other guitars in the 100-150$ range, but i dont know enough about them to know whether or not im seeing a smoking good deal on a guitar that is usually more expensive.

any advice would be helpful, pictures too please! So far i LOVE how gibsons/epiphones look, at the head of the guitar. (not sure what its call, but how 3 stings go to the top and 3 go to the bottom rather than all 6 goinf to one side)

Whatever guitar you get, take it to a competent luthier for a setup / checkup etc. The little things like fret dressing and a bone nut that'll run you probably $100 total are huge when you're playing, and will make your first time experience while learning a lot more pleasant.

Whatever guitar you get, take it to a competent luthier for a setup / checkup etc. The little things like fret dressing and a bone nut that'll run you probably $100 total are huge when you're playing, and will make your first time experience while learning a lot more pleasant.

Perhaps go and see a reputable luthier for some advice. He might even have or know of someone that has a nicely set up guitar for sale.

Find a nice guitar and GET lessons. Learning to play a guitar at first can be a daunting adventure, but don't get frustrated if you are having difficulties making chords sound right for example. It will come in time, but be prepared to practice, practice, practice and don't stop the lessons. I'm speaking from experience. I stopped taking lessons at first because at the time all I wanted to do was play rock n' roll -- not the songs they were teaching me, like Little Brown Bleeding Jug for example. The early days of rock n' roll wasn't all that difficult. You could get by with many songs if you knew how to play C, F and G with a few simple riffs. But I learned my lesson later and went back for lessons and I'm glad I did. So don't make the same mistake I did.

I wish you the best, and enjoy it!!!

I would also suggest spending a little time trying out different guitars for size (doesn't matter that you can't actually play one) as you'll get an idea as to what type feels comfortable in your hand. If you've got a guitar that feels natural when you hold it you'll find it much easier to start to learn on than one which you have to fight or which feels not quite right. As an analogy imagine the difference between a jacket that fits properly and one which is just that fraction too large but not enough to be obvious to the eye. Which one are you going to grab?

I would also suggest spending a little time trying out different guitars for size (doesn't matter that you can't actually play one) as you'll get an idea as to what type feels comfortable in your hand. If you've got a guitar that feels natural when you hold it you'll find it much easier to start to learn on than one which you have to fight or which feels not quite right. As an analogy imagine the difference between a jacket that fits properly and one which is just that fraction too large but not enough to be obvious to the eye. Which one are you going to grab?

thanks you!!! all of you! i will definitely be trying out some guitars soon!

Hi. Yeah, what the other guys said - go meet your local luthier/guitar tech and talk it through (independent guy if possible - not big retail shop) - they are likely to give genuine advice as if you get into it they're going to see you quite a bit in years to come as you need work done. He (or she) will not only be able to give advice about models, but more importantly about aspects of guitars that make a difference from the beginners perspective - for example some guitars are neck heavy - on a strap the neck falls towards the floor - do you really want to be holding it up whilst learning to play or have one that sits just so without having to be held? There is also a huge variation in weights of guitars. Scale lengths vary considerably which makes it easier/harder to bend strings and stretch fingers to play the same chords. necks vary significantly in depth and width, etc etc...

In a guitar shop its easy to get caught up thinking about colours and shapes but there are many other factors that will impact the beginner - see the luthier and talk it through - then get him to set it up like others have suggested - its worth several times the costs even if you can't see why now, its still as good advice as you can ever get.

Good luck with the search! [smile]

In my opinion, a properly set up Epiphone Les Paul Special II electric guitar is a great guitar to start with (I have had a few). Get a small Marshall or Fender Mustang 1 Version 2 for example, amplifier, and a set of headphones or "ear buds", as well as an MP3/CD recorder/player (for tunes to play along to) as most small "practice" amplifiers have an auxiliary plug port to plug the player into (get an extension cord too, a stereo one) and you will most certainly have a great rig to learn on. msp_thumbup.gif

If you can find a LP Special II for less than $100.00 that is in OK shape, it will be an OK guitar to start your electric guitar collection obsession with. msp_smile.gif

Do you have a picture of your LP Special II guitar you could post ?msp_smile.gif

Hello XZ1 and welcome here.

Since you posted you never played before, I suggest looking for personal advice and help from an experienced player with a certain overview. Perhaps there is one among your friends and pals? I believe this could save you time and money.

It is crucial to find a guitar that makes playing fun, i. e. providing nice tone and good playability. Hardtail string suspensions are suited better for beginners than vibratos. A thick neck will allow for easier chord fingering. I also recommend to go with heavier string gauges. They contribute to better intonation through avoiding unwanted pitch bendings due to excessive fretting force, and they also support endurance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylk7F7a1AyI

Suppose to be first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuGHuWNHzQ

I have not really looked through all the videos, but you get the idea.

Then there are more scales, and more music theory, and more and more and more.

But if not getting at least a half-way decent guitar and getting sore fingers, then practicing, then you will not be playing along with some favorite songs.

But then that may not be your own style.

Also if you get more of like a semi-hollow guitar you may not need an amp at first, but then you can learn to listen also with any guitar that is not a plank of wood probably.

First of all...

HIDE YOUR WALLET FROM YOURSELF AND GET THIS CRAZY IDEA OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

Don't say I didn't warn you. I have to admit I love guitars. Not just playing them, but guitars and amps themselves. They are beautiful, interesting and addictive. If you insist on continuing into the world of guitar playing, you can do it without going broke, but it can be an expensive hobby.

I don't recommend the Player pack that you mentioned, for one particular reason. The guitar comes with cheap covered tuners. You want as a minimum a guitar with decent tuners. I owned an Epiphone Junior with those identical covered tuners and they were horrible. The guitar otherwise was nice, but I could not keep it in tune or even get it into tune with the stock covered tuners. I ended up changing them for a set of Grover Sealed tuners that cost $40 when I only paid $100 for the guitar. When you are beginning you do not want to be dealing with tuning issues. You want tuning that will be solid enough so you can grab the guitar every few hours and play if you want to and find it still in tune from the last time.

Consider at least a Epiphone LP-100 with 14:1 sealed tuners.

I don't recommend the Player pack that you mentioned, for one particular reason. The guitar comes with cheap covered tuners. You want as a minimum a guitar with decent tuners. I owned an Epiphone Junior with those identical covered tuners and they were horrible. The guitar otherwise was nice, but I could not keep it in tune or even get it into tune with the stock covered tuners. I ended up changing them for a set of Grover Sealed tuners that cost $40 when I only paid $100 for the guitar. When you are beginning you do not want to be dealing with tuning issues. You want tuning that will be solid enough so you can grab the guitar every few hours and play if you want to and find it still in tune from the last time.

Plus the amps that come with player packs are just really low quality and not worth more than $15 or $20 used.

I picked up a used Peavey Envoy 110 (redstripe) for $99 and you can find them for $50 to $99 all over the place. MUCH better sounding amp than what comes in a kit. To be Honest when it's set to vintage I can't tell it's not a 60s tube amp. And there are LOTS of good amps in the $50 to $100 range floating around. Pick a guitar you like, for a good price ($300 or less can get you a pretty nice unit new), pay $75 or so to get the frets / neck setup right, and then look for a decent amp at a good price. For $20 you can get something as good as if not better than what comes in that kit. For $50 you can get something much better, and for $100 you can blow it right out of the water.

Not familiar with those tuners. I have the 1961 50th anniversary SG with Wilkenson 14:1 tuners and am VERY happy with them.

I think in this ~$200 range the squier teles and epiphones are pretty good values. If you do have to replace the tuners it's not a huge deal, as long as the neck isn't crooked and it's setup well etc.

pictures too please! So far i LOVE how gibsons/epiphones look, at the head of the guitar. (not sure what its call, but how 3 stings go to the top and 3 go to the bottom rather than all 6 goinf to one side)

like this?

AWxwqok.jpg

or maybe this?

bKtTSiQ.jpg

I started playing guitar a bit over 50 years ago; I've taught folks who have ended up playing professionally. On the other hand, by the time I bought my first guitar, I'd also been playing music one way or another for 14 years.

My feeling is that starting guitar is rather different for one who has some musical experience and one who has none.

Here's the deal: First, you comment in the "electric" section of the Epi forum that shows you have an idea of price tags, and apparently you are interested in playing electric guitar.

Second, I don't know your background in music.

First off, I do think that if you're relatively young, an Epi "package" with a little practice amp does make good sense.

While I strongly disagree with "heavy strings," the poster does have a point: You'll do almost everything wrong at first whether you have the background pretty much to teach yourself or if you have a teacher who will teach you what you think you want to learn.

Also, "setup" has to do with how easily you can press your fingers down on the guitar's fingerboard and frets. It should be done with the type of strings and type of playing you may be headed toward.

For example, I mostly fingerpick. Even when I bought my first guitar, I knew I would be playing rock, classical, jazz, Flamenco, pop, folk, country... whatever... both alone and in a band. My decision was to start on a classical guitar on grounds that it would teach me chords and stuff with less wear-and-tear on my fretting hand than a steel string guitar. I knew it would need to be mostly played more gently with my right hand. I also didn't need an amplifier. A few years later I was playing in a crazy rock band with an electric and whatever... in a band advertised regionally as "the band you've gotta see to believe." <grin>

My point is that learning basics on an easily-played guitar usually means more playing and faster learning. If you were my student, I'd have you on either an electric pack or possibly an inexpensive acoustic or acoustic-electric at most, or even classical.

My reasoning is thus: If as many of us, you wish to learn as quickly as possible enough to at least accompany yourself singing... it will bring physical pain. What allows the most playing time with the least pain is important. There also are some "tricks."

But then again... opinions vary. I'm simply relating what I've seen as most generally successful.

m

Hey whats going on guys, i am a brand new member here, just joined. I have not bought a guitar yet, i have never played one, but i have a desire to learn. I have looked around at some beginner guitars and starter kits. I found the Epiphone Special II Player Pack, and i am leaning towards buying it to get started. I have gotten some advice that it would be a good idea to check Used Guitars first, such as from Guitar Center, but its tough because i dont really know whats a good guitar or what is a good deal. I find some Epiphone Special II guitars on there for 100$ or less, which seems like a good deal, but i also see a lot of other guitars in the 100-150$ range, but i dont know enough about them to know whether or not im seeing a smoking good deal on a guitar that is usually more expensive.

any advice would be helpful, pictures too please! So far i LOVE how gibsons/epiphones look, at the head of the guitar. (not sure what its call, but how 3 stings go to the top and 3 go to the bottom rather than all 6 goinf to one side)

If i were you i would buy a nicer epiphone one that you will want to play for a long time . Do not buy a cheap guitar .Its better to learn on a good guitar then a bad guitar . There are many good teacher all over the place and i would start there . then after you get the basic's down you should try other forms after the basics . Hell i have been play for 50 years and i still learn more and more every day .

What's your plan for learning how to play guitar?

well ive started learning a few basic chords. G, C and D, and i want to get those down and be able to switch between them with ease before i take on anything more. Im not sure how i should exactly go about learning to be honest

I started playing guitar a bit over 50 years ago; I've taught folks who have ended up playing professionally. On the other hand, by the time I bought my first guitar, I'd also been playing music one way or another for 14 years.

My feeling is that starting guitar is rather different for one who has some musical experience and one who has none.

Here's the deal: First, you comment in the "electric" section of the Epi forum that shows you have an idea of price tags, and apparently you are interested in playing electric guitar.

Second, I don't know your background in music.

First off, I do think that if you're relatively young, an Epi "package" with a little practice amp does make good sense.

While I strongly disagree with "heavy strings," the poster does have a point: You'll do almost everything wrong at first whether you have the background pretty much to teach yourself or if you have a teacher who will teach you what you think you want to learn.

Also, "setup" has to do with how easily you can press your fingers down on the guitar's fingerboard and frets. It should be done with the type of strings and type of playing you may be headed toward.

For example, I mostly fingerpick. Even when I bought my first guitar, I knew I would be playing rock, classical, jazz, Flamenco, pop, folk, country... whatever... both alone and in a band. My decision was to start on a classical guitar on grounds that it would teach me chords and stuff with less wear-and-tear on my fretting hand than a steel string guitar. I knew it would need to be mostly played more gently with my right hand. I also didn't need an amplifier. A few years later I was playing in a crazy rock band with an electric and whatever... in a band advertised regionally as "the band you've gotta see to believe." <grin>

My point is that learning basics on an easily-played guitar usually means more playing and faster learning. If you were my student, I'd have you on either an electric pack or possibly an inexpensive acoustic or acoustic-electric at most, or even classical.

My reasoning is thus: If as many of us, you wish to learn as quickly as possible enough to at least accompany yourself singing... it will bring physical pain. What allows the most playing time with the least pain is important. There also are some "tricks."

But then again... opinions vary. I'm simply relating what I've seen as most generally successful.

m

thanks for the advice!! everything is helping!

Once you nail the C chord, an F chord will be fairly easy and to this day I still love the C F G combination - throw in the occasional A minor (another easy one for beginners to learn) and you'll be able to play lots of great songs very soon. [smile]

Not familiar with those tuners. I have the 1961 50th anniversary SG with Wilkenson 14:1 tuners and am VERY happy with them.

The Wilkinson tuners are much nicer than the stock ones on the Pack LP, the Wilkinsons are copies of vintage Klusons.

Knowing what I know today, if I was buying my first guitar, I'd buy something like the Epiphone LP Studio. Set neck, Grover tuners, solid mahogany with a carved top and weight relief about $400.

xZ, Welcome to the forum.

I am also new to guitars (Nov 2013 is the first time one was in my hands ever) at an older age let’s say over 50. On line I bought an Acoustic / electric package (guitar/amp/bag/etc.) thinking I could learn on it without the amp. For the price I am happy with it but found the body a little wide but being it is next to my TV watching chair I pick it up any time and practice what little I know.

When I was looking for the A/E guitar I spotted an Epip electric that I loved the look of. Well April 1st I picked up a used Epip Ultra II black quilt top for a good price. I like the way it feels when playing it, it fits as they say.

For a amp the plan was to use the A/E amp with head phones (ear buds) but I could not get enough sound (loud) to the buds even with everything turned up and no $$ for a amp so what to do?

My son told me of Vox AmPlug http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/ and for about $30 I bought a AmPlug AC30. It plugs into the guitar and your ear buds or head phones plug into it. It has adjustments like an amp (the AmPlug comes in different flavors for different sounds too) and you can plug in a recorder/CD player or smart phone to play back ground tracks or like I do smart phone with metronome. What is nice about the AmPlug you are not cored to an amp box so I can be playing in my living room and walk out on to my deck without stopping.

When I play better and have $$ I will look into an amp box most likely used/pawn shop?

As all have said spend a little more on the guitar. Before you buy try a few even if just to hold them to see if they “fit”. I did not but got lucky on my 2nd guitar. If you can take someone with you that may know guitars helps a lot, I don’t know anyone so I was on my own.

If you find amps are too much $$ look into the Vox AmPlug. Yea no one can hear you but some may not want to till you get better [biggrin]

Sorry so long.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, don't buy no junky guitar! Nothing will frustrate you more than a piece of junk with all kinds of problems, neck too thick, broken truss rod, et al. IMO, Epiphones are perfect for a first guitar. I started playing guitar a long time ago. In fact, the guitar I learned on was a brand new 1964 Epiphone Olympic that I borrowed from a friend. I posted a pic of the guitar. In any case, you are sure to find a decent new or used Epiphone in your price range at your local guitar shops. If it's new, you get a lifetime warranty.

post-65232-079130400 1399481104_thumb.jpg

I know this won't help much, but playability is more a matter of "setup and strings" and "does it feel like it fits you" than the money spent on a guitar.

My first guitar in theory was a horrid classical guitar. But in retrospect, it was quite easy to play and I still prefer guitars in that general size!

So... one advantage to buying at a store, is that you will have a guitar "set up." That means the strings at the proper distance from the fingerboard, etc.

m

I know this won't help much, but playability is more a matter of "setup and strings" and "does it feel like it fits you" than the money spent on a guitar.

My first guitar in theory was a horrid classical guitar. But in retrospect, it was quite easy to play and I still prefer guitars in that general size!

So... one advantage to buying at a store, is that you will have a guitar "set up." That means the strings at the proper distance from the fingerboard, etc.

m

Archived