Gibson Brands Forums

Comfort of different finish's on LP's

PureAeternus

A buddy of mine brought over his modded trans blue Epi LP with the JB/59, it sounded exactly like Green Day even though Armstrong played a Strat with a JB jr, but i digress..... we both did an A/B of his LP and my studio faded, and both noticed his LP was a bit more comfortable to play, because the thick glossy finish on the back made the back carve more smooth, and it weighed slightly less. sound wise, mine was more like Jimmy Page on steroids, and he had a more modern metal tone.

My LP is a 2004 Faded Vintage Mahogany model, you can see the back carve is just the edge of a slab of heavy mahogany, I think its one of the models without the modern chambering, so it weighs quite a fair amount, i think at least 10 pounds.

I love the tone, but I find my 335 a lot easier to play for extended periods sitting down, because the top of the 335 hits me the upper chest, rather than the boney rib cage.

Apparently the higher end Gibson Les Pauls have a thinner nitro finish versus the thick poly coating of the Epi LP's. Will the thinner nitro finish still be more comfortable than my Studio? (trying to justify another LP down the line)

So can any LP aficionado who has played/owned all 3 kind of LP's mentioned here share their experience?

10294436_2694554891342_7470318847626115608_n.jpg

Archived