Gibson Brands Forums

Something I've noticed…...

onewilyfool

I guess Craig's list is kind of a hobby of mine…lol….I find it humorous, entertaining, and SOMETIMES I find a gem in the guitar classifieds, which makes it all worthwhile…..but I digress….I've noticed, as ads come and go…..that there is very little premium for guitar with factory pickups on acoustics. It doesn't matter which company or model, the pure acoustic model winds up selling for the same price more or less than the same model with the factory pickup. In fact, a lot of sellers don't even mention that their guitar has a factory pickup!!! I guess because most often, factory installed pickups are the lowest price and quality pickup available. A lot of sellers strategically take photos that hide those "barn door" pickups cut into the sides of guitars, which is out of integrity, but I digress again…..Here at our local luthery shop, they charge about $100 to install an after market pickup. Pickups can cost from $100 upwards to $500 so that is $200 to $600 for an installed version. I rarely see those guitars with after market's installed getting much of a kick in sale price over the pure acoustic models! I guess in some people's mind, the guitar is "modified" from original, and now worth as much??? Anyway, something I've noticed and thought I'd bring it up for discussion…..

If I were playing 'out' still, I'd probably want to get pickups installed in my acoustic guitars....but since I don't, and most of the time, (probably 95% of the time), I'm not amplified anyway.....

But the reason I don't add them...even to my old Dove... is TOTALLY because I don't want to modify them at all from the way they came from the factory.

Unfortunately, that includes adding a strap button on the heel of the neck.... NONE of my birds have them, which causes me to use a strap shoe on the headstock....but.... I just

can't bring myself to modify them in any way.

But that's just me.

If I were playing 'out' still, I'd probably want to get pickups installed in my acoustic guitars....but since I don't, and most of the time, (probably 95% of the time), I'm not amplified anyway.....

But the reason I don't add them...even to my old Dove... is TOTALLY because I don't want to modify them at all from the way they came from the factory.

Unfortunately, that includes adding a strap button on the heel of the neck.... NONE of my birds have them, which causes me to use a strap shoe on the headstock....but.... I just

can't bring myself to modify them in any way.

But that's just me.

Rob, you are not alone in this!

Archived