Gibson Brands Forums

acoustic strings

Richie123

hi guys im thinking about using gibson masterbuilt 11-52 gauge strings on my epiphone ej-160e will this be a wrong move or a good choice if im gonna use with the pick up if it is how bad would the sound be and how good .??????

Its a good choice but they really don't last very long. I personally love the sound. Give it a try and try other makes, experiment what sounds good to some might not be what you like. There are a ton of string manufacturers now and its very hard to settle on one but that's fine try as many as you want.

I use D'Addario 10-46 Nickel Would EXL 110 strings with a wound G on my EJ-160-E and I get a really authentic George/John tone from the guitar when I use this setup.The first time that I put on these strings and played the intro of "I Feel Fine" plugged into my AC-15,I was absolutely floored when I heard the exact tone that I had been listening to for over 40 years.Although the EJ-160-E doesn't nail the acoustic tone of the original Gibson J-160-E,it does sound very close and has great acoustic volume and presence.It is useless to put bronze or phosphor/bronze strings on this guitar as the pickup won't respond to these alloys since magnets respond to metal alloys but not non-ferrous metals and alloys.Of all the strings that I have used on my EJ-160-E,the D-Addario EXL-110s are by far head and shoulders above all takers in quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used just about every string you can imagine on mine, electric and acoustic.

If your going to play acoustically without plugging in the Elixir Phospher/Bronze in 12-53 will sound fine.

I play mine plugged in most of the time so I use Elixir Electric Nanoweb 12-52, the best I've heard plugged in.

I have tried several sets of electric flat wounds and just hate the sound, and feel.

Trial and error, whatever your ear prefers.

My preferred acoustic strings are Martin 80/20 Bronze (as opposed to PhBr).

One great thing about them is that they don't 'die' like most other strings but simply very slowly mellow so that over time you just lose the top end sparkle but the rest of the dynamic range is still there, In fact I think they sound better after a few days/weeks (depending on how much you play) than they do fresh from the pack.

They work great with the Nanomag pickup in my EJ200 and with various pickups I've taped into my old Tanglewood (inc a Strat S/C & a GFS Mean 90 - hey wondered what it would sound like!). Like pretty much all non classical acoustic strings they're wound around a steel core so work just fine with magnetic pickups (sorry Bonzoboy but you're wrong when it comes to guitar strings because of the core also, just to clarify, Nickel is a non ferrous metal but is magnetic which is why we use it in electric guitar strings)

Not expensive either.

Archived