Gibson Brands Forums

49/50 LG-2

Nick B

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 49/50 Lg-2 in "good condition" + it's original case. It's got some dings. The headstock has faded with some yellow. However, everything original but the strap pin. Doesn't need a neck reset, action is low. Again, I'd say "good" condition.

Here's the catch: I haven't even played it yet! It's in another state, and I have the option to return it if I don't like it. I asked a lot questions (doesn't need a reset, bridge hasn't been shaved, etc.) The dudes at the shop I'm getting it from say it's opened up nicely and has absolutely wonderful tone.

I played a 61 Lg-3 and fell it love, but couldn't get it for a good price. Now I've "settled" for this beast.

Anyways, I'll post pics on this thread when I get it (today or tomorrow). I'm sort of nervous to have bought a guitar on-line, a vintage guitar no-less, but I'm only out $50 if I absolutely hate it.

I paid $1900, which felt right. From what I've seen, this guitar goes from $3k+ in excellent condition and $2500 in very good. I think I could get $1900 (from what I know so far) if I had to resell it, although there's obviously time consideration. As mentioned, this is all original and the body is a little beat up but not too bad. I'm more worried about tone anyways.

What should I look for when I get it? Any and all advice from you guys is much appreciated as that's a fair amount of money.

I'm happy and nervous at the same time. Please advise.

Best.

Lg2s from the late 40s, early 50s are fine guitars... Lg3s are as well... for some reason the 2s seem to get better money.. the same guitar with a different dress... and what you paid sounds like a good price..

Rejoice and enjoy...that is if you're looking for a dry, not ringy, short sustain percussive quieter sounding small bod. I loved my old LG2's but traded off for a little more bass. I would have kept all the various old acoustics I bought if I could afford to, and the LG2 was up there with my favorites. The price is OK. Live with it for a while and see if it blends in with your playing needs. I always let the guitar tell me what qualities to appreciate after playing for a while. I think it's best to have a woody-toned small git AND a full sounding bigger d'nought. You're halfway there.

Thanks for the early feedback everyone. Pictures to come soon.

slimt:

From what I've read, 1949 is a good year fro LG's. I think the LG-2's are just as popular as the more rare LG-3's because everyone likes that pretty sunburst. I will say the aged mahog of the LG3 I almost bought was just as beautiful, if not more so.

retrorod: I'm taking it right to my friend's guitar shop when I get it (today most likely). The bracing better be X, or I'll be one confused guy! As for bridge pad, could you elaborate? Any and all info is much appreciated.

jedzep: I play blues almost exclusively. Have since I was 16 (wow, that was already a decade ago), and I never had a guitar make more sense to me than that LG3. I'm banking on this LG2 being the same, if not better. My current acoustic is some cheap fender. This will be the first acoustic I know I'll be excited to sit around and tinker on all day long. Man, I'm excited.

Pics to come.

Thanks again.

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

Here she is!

The crack on the back is shown in pic 2. Pic 3 is the wear on the neck from playing. The headstock is faded a weird yellowish color.

Overall the tone is EXACTLY what I want.

The low E string is buzzing on the 3rd fret, but I suspect that's because it's got new strings, low gauged (11's).

Will get the FON and have the under bridge looked at tomorrow.

I'm like alittle kid on Xmas right now.

Merry Xmas, Nick. I know you're going to take it to be looked at, but maybe the light strings are just below the tension needed to allow just a little higher string height at the 3rd. Putting 12's on might give you just a tad more relief and cure that buzz. I loved the Dunlop 80/20 12's on my '56. I use them now on my '35 L00, but tuned down a whole note because of it's light build, two steps down, but the LG2 is so sturdily constructed I feel it needs a meatier string guage than 11-50 or 52.

Enjoy.

Merry Xmas, Nick. I know you're going to take it to be looked at, but maybe the light strings are just below the tension needed to allow just a little higher string height at the 3rd. Putting 12's on might give you just a tad more relief and cure that buzz. I loved the Dunlop 80/20 12's on my '56. I use them now on my '35 L00, but tuned down a whole note because of it's light build, two steps down, but the LG2 is so sturdily constructed I feel it needs a meatier string guage than 11-50 or 52.

Enjoy.

Thanks, my friend. As soon as I put the 11s on, I read that a guitar like this should have 12s on it minimum. Well, I'll get some play outta these and swap once they get a little nasty.

But the buzzing is already way down just playing this thing nonstop for a few hours.

That's a good sign. It'll be interesting to see what your friend says. If he knows what he's doing he'll get it set up right. Hopefully, the truss rod works well, but it seems like the neck is already responding to the work out you're giving it.

That's a good sign. It'll be interesting to see what your friend says. If he knows what he's doing he'll get it set up right. Hopefully, the truss rod works well, but it seems like the neck is already responding to the work out you're giving it.

Been playin it nonstop since I got it. She's the real deal. Proud owner.

Congrats.

I play a 1946 LG-2. While I have never found anything about LG-2s that made them more suited for playing da bluz than a hundred other guitars the X bracing makes them just nice all round instruments that seem to respond well to most styles of playing. OK, bluegrass ain't gonna work out all that well but I do not know a lick of bluegrass music so it does not come into play.

I like LG -2 a lot. Right now have an LG-1 that I have too much into. Some feel the pre 1955 LGs are the best. They made a lot of of LG-2 and they are not rare, but still ones in good shape are getting hardder to find.

I think the days of the 3500 LG-2 are over, if they ever existed. I just sold a '57 CF-100E for$3250 .. best offer I got. I'd go $2000 for a nice LG-2, but not much more. Plus I always want taller frets, etc. and that adds to the cost.

I would like to find a hacked (ie top refinished) LG 2 or F-25... if the top isn't original then I would add K&K pickup but have KOOL top mount tone and volume knobs

uote name='Nick B' timestamp='1398364602' post='1513021']

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 49/50 Lg-2 in "good condition" + it's original case. It's got some dings. The headstock has faded with some yellow. However, everything original but the strap pin. Doesn't need a neck reset, action is low. Again, I'd say "good" condition.

Here's the catch: I haven't even played it yet! It's in another state, and I have the option to return it if I don't like it. I asked a lot questions (doesn't need a reset, bridge hasn't been shaved, etc.) The dudes at the shop I'm getting it from say it's opened up nicely and has absolutely wonderful tone.

I played a 61 Lg-3 and fell it love, but couldn't get it for a good price. Now I've "settled" for this beast.

Anyways, I'll post pics on this thread when I get it (today or tomorrow). I'm sort of nervous to have bought a guitar on-line, a vintage guitar no-less, but I'm only out $50 if I absolutely hate it.

I paid $1900, which felt right. From what I've seen, this guitar goes from $3k+ in excellent condition and $2500 in very good. I think I could get $1900 (from what I know so far) if I had to resell it, although there's obviously time consideration. As mentioned, this is all original and the body is a little beat up but not too bad. I'm more worried about tone anyways.

What should I look for when I get it? Any and all advice from you guys is much appreciated as that's a fair amount of money.

I'm happy and nervous at the same time. Please advise.

Best.

Archived