Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 Owners please chime in!

Codeseven

Hi guys, new here, new to Gibson and a novice guitar player.

I'm looking for a versatile Gibson with both semi-hollow and solid body characteristics. I've already gone thru two Gretsch's and an LP Trad II and have an LP Signature on the way. 'After' ordering the Sig I came across a pic of in my opinion an absolute stunner,, a Pelham Blue CS-336 w/Non-Reverse Firebird Neck, wow!

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/cs301049.php?CategoryID=453&n=41

So I started researching CS-336"s and I like what I'v been reading. They seem to be more what I'm searching for. I like the ES-335's but I don't like their bulk. LP's are fantastic but I miss a bit of the 'hollow sound'. I like Blues but I also like Rock i.e., Metallica, Rush. The CS-336's, with their "tonally carved guitar with a solid mahogany back-and-sides unit, a carved maple top, and a center block that is an integral part of the top and back" and LP like size could be the perfect guitar for me.

I haven't had my hands on a CS-336 yet and I don't ever remember seeing one at any of the many guitars shops I've been frequenting (including 3 GC's) so I'd like to hear from actual CS-336 owners that could give me some first hand insights.

Though a semi-hollow guitar, does the CS-336's smaller form factor still allow it to exhibit ES-335 semi-hollow sounds? (though to a lesser extent I'm sure).

Can it also rock out in high gain situations?

That Non-Reverse Firebird Neck model I linked to is waaaay expensive, I love the color. But it seems very hard to find a 'regular' CS-336 in Pelham Blue, are they pretty rare? In that color are they just as expensive as the Reverse Firebird model?

I also love black (Ebony) guitars. Ebony CS-336's are pretty easy to find on the net. Should I plan on buying an Ebony because finding a Pelham Blue is not realistic? Thanks

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-CS-336-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar-517182-i1149180.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CMDim4KTgr4CFaJm7AodURkA2w&kwid=productads-plaid%5E65684160642-sku%5E517182.035@ADL4GC-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E27120545562

Hello and welcome....

I don't actually own one but I have played a 336 a few times (the normal sunburst type).. and its the guitar I want most in the world.. I have 4 LPs and love them all and all im missing is that semi hollow.. and when (or should I say if) I can ever afford one it will be my first purchase..

Ive played hundreds and hundreds of guitars.. and the 336 for me is one of the best...

The only other thing you may consider is a 339... Like you I don't like the big bulk of the 335 type guitars... Look wise from the outside its really hard to tell between a 336 and 339.. but the difference is quite big..

A 336 is like a hollowed out Les Paul, so they start off life as solid bodies.. A 339 is more akin to a traditional semi hollow where its made from laminated backs, sides and tops more like an acoustic.. But both are the smaller size.

But for me a 336 is the best of both worlds.

Hi Rabs, thanks.

Another big thumbs up for this guitar, glad to see it.

I thought about the ES-339, nice guitar, but it's the CS-336's solid like construction that makes me think it may be a little better for the type of high gain rock I like.

Also one other thing to consider if you haven't heard of them is the Gibson Midtown or Midtown custom...

All I can say about these is that they were almost like a gift from Gibson.. Like, heres a GREAT deal for those in the know...

If you haven't seen them check these out...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Custom.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Standard-P-90.aspx

And good luck with your hunt.. Spending the time to do the research and find the right one for you is so so important.. And then after that you just have to go and play as many as you can find... As these guitars are still hand finished each one plays and sounds just that little bit different..... But finding "the one" is so worth while.. A good Gibby if you look after it will last you a lifetime.

Let us know how you get on.. Sometimes you walk into a shop and walk out with something you didn't expect.. And just because you took the time to try it [thumbup]

I'm a CS-356 owner. Its a little fancier version of the 336. I also own a ES-339. Noticeable difference in sound. I also have another high end brand semi-hollow that is made of carved wood. I gotta tell you, the carve wood versions sound awesome.

One thing you should think about is your preference in neck profiles. The regular 336s come with the slim 60s neck profile. The Wildwood examples in Pelham blue w/Non-Reverse Firebird Neck have a fatter neck based on the specs. It seems close to the spec on the 59 LPs they list on their site. If you have a preference, compare the measurements between the guitars. I think they have some other nice 336s now too.

I think you will be able to find a lot of different sounds in a 336.

I'm a CS-356 owner. Its a little fancier version of the 336. I also own a ES-339. Noticeable difference in sound. I also have another high end brand semi-hollow that is made of carved wood. I gotta tell you, the carve wood versions sound awesome.

One thing you should think about is your preference in neck profiles. The regular 336s come with the slim 60s neck profile. The Wildwood examples in Pelham blue w/Non-Reverse Firebird Neck have a fatter neck based on the specs. It seems close to the spec on the 59 LPs they list on their site. If you have a preference, compare the measurements between the guitars. I think they have some other nice 336s now too.

I think you will be able to find a lot of different sounds in a 336.

Thanks.

Sure seems like the construction of the 336 is gonna make the difference for me.

I've just got done trying out the 60's neck on an LP Trad II, the Signature will have the 50's neck, I'll be able to check that pout next. Seems most of the 336's have the slim 60. I wish I could try out that custom 60's medium neck on the Reverse Firebird model.

Thanks.

Sure seems like the construction of the 336 is gonna make the difference for me.

I've just got done trying out the 60's neck on an LP Trad II, the Signature will have the 50's neck, I'll be able to check that pout next. Seems most of the 336's have the slim 60. I wish I could try out that custom 60's medium neck on the Reverse Firebird model.

Did you check these 336 customs?

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson_custom_shop/wildwood_spec_cs336.htm

Hey Codeseven,

I have a 2004 CS-336 custom order one-off and it is my favorite electric. I also have 5 LP's, a CS Larry Carlton ES-335 and a Johnny A. I would put the tone closer to an LP than a 335. The Johnny A. and the 336 have very similar tone. The smaller body and lighter weight of the 336 keeps my 335 in the case most of the time. It is more than fine for high gain rocking. No feedback issues. I would say it's the perfect combination of features between a 335 and LP. I'm always keeping a eye out for guitars and I don't recall ever seeing a Pelham Blue one without the NR Firebird headstock. There aren't even that many black ones around. Here's a pic of mine:

DSC02081.jpg

Thanks JO'C, beautiful guitar!

Ya, the only 'normal' pelham blue 336 I've seen is in that Wildwood video from Nov/2012.

One other thing that has come to light. I played the 2014 LP Signature and love the fatter 50's neck! , much more than the slim 60's on the Trad II I have. That creates a bit of a dilemma. As Spoonful has pointed out, 336's come with a slim 60's neck profile with exception to the Firebird Neck, with it's custom 'medium' neck. So if I want a 336 with a fatter neck, more like my Signature, I'm stuck with a Wildwood Spec or that Firebird neck?

LP Trad II - .800 @ 1st fret

..880 @ 12th fret

LP 2014 Signature - .830 @ 1st fret

.990 @ 12th fret

CS-336 - "60's Slim taper"

Wildwood Spec CS-336 - .810 @ !st fret

.920 @ 12th fret

Non-reverse Firebird Neck CS-336 - .860 @ 1st fret

.1.000 @ 12th fret

Thanks JO'C, beautiful guitar!

Ya, the only 'normal' pelham blue 336 I've seen is in that Wildwood video from Nov/2012.

One other thing that has come to light. I played the 2014 LP Signature and love the fatter 50's neck! , much more than the slim 60's on the Trad II I have. That creates a bit of a dilemma. As Spoonful has pointed out, 336's come with a slim 60's neck profile with exception to the Firebird Neck, with it's custom 'medium' neck. So if I want a 336 with a fatter neck, more like my Signature, I'm stuck with a Wildwood Spec or that Firebird neck?

There is also a Lee Roy Parnell signature model 336 that has a fat 50's neck. Do you think the one with the NR Firebird neck actually has a Firebird neck or just a 50's neck profile with an NR Firebird headstock? I actually have a 2003 Custom Shop NR Firebird. The neck is 1.00" at fret 12, but the body top meets the neck much further out than my 336. The back of the neck starts to curve to meet the body at the 14th fret. I don't like the Firebird neck at all. 3 of my LP's have 50's neck profiles and they are nothing like the Firebird neck whereas my 336 neck is nearly identical to my LP's and 335 with 60's profiles.

My daughter lives in Denver and I'll be going out there in July. Every time I go there I make sure to stop in at Wildwood. I'll definitely check out their 336's when I'm there. I'll try to remember to report back.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks JO'C.

Just from what I've read it seems the NR Firebird 336 model has a 50's profile ( .860 @ 1st fret / .1.000 @ 12th fret) with an NRF headstock.

Sounds like the Parnell is definitely in line with the LP 50's neck that I like on my Signature. Are the Parnell's hard to find?

Thanks JO'C.

Just from what I've read it seems the NR Firebird 336 model has a 50's profile ( .860 @ 1st fret / .1.000 @ 12th fret) with an NRF headstock.

Sounds like the Parnell is definitely in line with the LP 50's neck that I like on my Signature. Are the Parnell's hard to find?

I've never come across one. There was a thread about it here a few months ago. I think it was in the Semi-hollow section.

I've never come across one. There was a thread about it here a few months ago. I think it was in the Semi-hollow section.

OK, thanks. I just did a quick search on the net. Ya, I wouldn't bet on finding one.

I love that NR Firebird 336. The pelham blue with black trim, diamond holes, 'medium' 60's fatter neck and unique looking headstock just make it cool in my opinion. I just know if I can justify paying over $4000 for one [blink] It didn't help things when I showed my wife pictures of both pelahm blue 336's with and without the diamond/Firebird headstock, she picked the Firebird headstock 336 right away as the best looking [biggrin]

From my experience, it's best not to settle for anything less than what you want.

Check with Troy at Wildwood. See what you can work out. Maybe if you can't afford this right now, you can ask him to let you know if he ever gets one in used. It will have to be less expensive than a new one. I will say that the CS-336's and 356's do retain their value better than a lot of other models.

From my experience, it's best not to settle for anything less than what you want.

Check with Troy at Wildwood. See what you can work out. Maybe if you can't afford this right now, you can ask him to let you know if he ever gets one in used. It will have to be less expensive than a new one. I will say that the CS-336's and 356's do retain their value better than a lot of other models.

Allot of wisdom in that first statement. Early on the Pelham Blue CS-336 was the first guitar I saw online that 'I just had to have' but kinda ignored that. After 4 separate purchases and subsequent returns i finally listened to my instincts. A call to Wildwood about CS-336's and fatter necks revealed the only ones available that are as thick or thicker than the 2014 LP Sig 50's neck I want are the Limited Edition Pelham Blue models. No other CS-336's in stock or on order have have other than a slimmer 60's like neck. Finding a Parnell is a crapshoot and ordering a custom through Gibs Custom Shop would be very expensive. Bruce at Wildwood offered a soul deal on any of the Pelham Blue models. After watching the Greg Koch videos on their last three available I called him right back and bought this one [biggrin] .....

There's just something about Greg Koch showing you what's possible with the very guitar you just bought [thumbup]

Many thanks to Troy and Bruce at Wildwood for their patience and outstanding customer service.

After watching the Greg Koch videos on their last three available I called him right back and bought this one [biggrin] .....

Wow, you sure knew what you wanted... and respect to you, you did the work and got it....

Let us know how she is when you get her [thumbup]

Many thanks to Troy and Bruce at Wildwood for their patience and outstanding customer service.

Congrats Codeseven. Bruce is a great guy. He really knows how to probe to make sure you get what you want. I'll be in Colorado the first week in July. I hope they have a Pelham Blue 336 left to try.

Thanks.

I've always had the feeling Wildwood was a class act and just my brief dealing with them has confirmed it. If I'm ever in that neighborhood I'll make it a point to stop in and thank them. I told Troy one of the reasons I wanted that guitar was seeing it masterfully played by Koch. He laughed and said Greg is a true character and they love when he's there.

Ya, I also hope there's still one of those available there for you to try out. I'd like to hear your impressions.

I feel kinda feel bad for Guitar Center. Buying and returning four perfectly good guitars wasn't in the plans but it was a ways to a means. I do appreciate the guys there for helping me out though. Good to know I'm 99.9% sure I'm done looking for 'that' guitar (well, for awhile anyway, right? [wink] )

Archived