Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES-339: hairline cracks on neck

A friend of mine directed me to you knowledgeable folks regarding an Epiphone ES-339 that was recently given to me as a gift. It's a great looking/sounding guitar so far. I noticed two odd hairline cracks at the top of the neck, on almost identical opposing locations (see pics). Obviously a big concern is that the wood is cracking, but I can't tell if it is the wood or just the super-thick paint. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

2eyb1nr.jpg

v67wvt.jpg

30hxb80.jpg

@retrorod - Thanks! I have a gut feeling that it may be fracture marks as well. My guess is that it may have fallen forward and hit the front-top of the headstock to stop its fall. Hopefully it's just the paint :/

@cjsinla - Yes, it was a gift. The previous owner played it for a little over a year. I think just playing it may be my best option right now. I have little repair experience on guitars (mostly drums growing up), and even less funds for a pro to fix it. Thanks!

I assume that it was used when it was given to you. If so, just play it and see if it gets worse. If it was brand new, I would take it back.

Good advice on just wait and see. I have a vintage Gibson with a U-shaped headstock fracture that has been stable for many years and unrepaired!

Archived