Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON L6S or L6-S Electric Guitar (Natural) with no serial number

wmartin27

My wife and I inherited this guitar from her father after he passed away. Our knowledge of guitars is minimal at best and need some insight on this guitar. I would assume its a model from the 70's since it says L6-S on the head and not L6S the name of the model that was re-released in 2011, but on the back of the head I see no serial number. Does anyone know anything about the lack of serial number and what the value is? We currently have the guitar listed on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-L6S-Electric-Guitar-Natural-MINT-/171311250589?pt=Guitar&hash=item27e2f23c9d

post-65117-092226100 1398956167_thumb.jpg

post-65117-037390400 1398956177_thumb.jpg

post-65117-057191800 1398956323_thumb.jpg

post-65117-058190600 1398956337_thumb.jpg

During the 75-77 era, Gibson used a waterslide decal applied to the back of the headstock for SN and model designation. From the headstock rear photo I seem to see a discolored area where the decal once was.

The most common reason for these decals to disappear is refinishing, but this guitar doesn't look refinished. From the photo it kind of looks like it was intentionally scratched off (horizontal lines) by a fingernail or something.

Another 70's era Norlin/Gibson mystery.

During the 75-77 era, Gibson used a waterslide decal applied to the back of the headstock for SN and model designation. From the headstock rear photo I seem to see a discolored area where the decal once was.

The most common reason for these decals to disappear is refinishing, but this guitar doesn't look refinished. From the photo it kind of looks like it was intentionally scratched off (horizontal lines) by a fingernail or something.

Another 70's era Norlin/Gibson mystery.

What does this do to the value of the guitar? We are asking $1499.99. Is that a fair price or because we do not have the serial number decal does that severely devalue it?

It looks like these guitars are trading hands on e-bay ("sold" listings search) for an average of $800 - $1000. In any and all cases I think you're overpriced at the BIN price, but you have "make offer", so see where it goes.

I think that unless there is a logical explanation for the missing SN decal, such as a refinish, you may have a hard sell at any price. A desecrated serial number on anything has a connotation of it's own.

If I had the money at the moment, I would buy it in an instant for $1500.00 despite of the missing serial number. I am a player, not a collector though. It seems to be in a better condition than mine, and I am pretty sure it is real. There are nice Ibanez copies, too.

By the way, I wouldn't let go mine for $1500.00, honestly.

The best thing is anyway if you're in no hurry to sell it.

Hmmm, a couple of things are odd to me. The scratched off serial number. The font on the truss cover looks wrong. The Gibson logo looks too far down. The pick guard is two ply. The top of the headstock looks uneven. Headstock shape looks too narrow and short.

I could be wrong, but it looks off to me. Looks like an Ibanez that had things done to it.

Hmmm, a couple of things are odd to me. The scratched off serial number. The font on the truss cover looks wrong. The Gibson logo looks too far down. The pick guard is two ply. The top of the headstock looks uneven. Headstock shape looks too narrow and short.

I could be wrong, but it looks off to me. Looks like an Ibanez that had things done to it.

Everything except for the serial number looks period correct to me. The serial number thing might have happened while cleaning - these unfinished decals don't withstand polishes. From time to time occur doubtlessly legit mid-1970's Gibsons with that issue. One just recognizes too late during cleaning that it's gone. [crying]

Archived