Gibson Brands Forums

Modern SG Standards (say 1990 and newer) - which years most desirable?

MI_Canuck

I've been away for a little while. I see that Gibson is trying to 'modernize' their lineup... with more electronic like circuitry in recent years (circuit board, rather than traditional pots and caps), and now with the e-Tune, and a bunch more electronics... plus a return to the small pick guard, and 57 classics.

I have a '98, and just wondering if it's a keeper over the long term (bought it used about 6 yrs ago but I LOVE it), or if the newer stuff is truly better. Or if the gold standard is still a '61 reissue (save for a true 60's SG which I'll never afford).

cheers

not that it really has anything to do with your topic but i have a 61 reissue that was made in 1987. i recently got a les paul studio (20140) and it holds no comparison to my sg. the sg is so smooth and warm. it has a true 60s neck. and those 57s. oh those 57s..... 490s have nothing on them. i love both guitars but when it comes to superb quality i reach for the sg.

I have 490's in my BB King and they are awesome. I have 57's in my ES-335 and if I had to pick, I would take the 490's over the 57's. But that is just me. The 57's are no slouches, but by a hair the 490's do it for me.

i am learning to appreciate the 490s more and more as being a different type of animal. i have become so accustomed to the low frequency output of the 57s since the 57s are on my first and only gibsons until recently. they give it such a snarling, dark tone. the 490s just kind of pop with super tone. they are teaching me more and more to use my tone knobs....

Well, for me (and this will be no surprise to most here) I'd pick the 2013 on, for the SG Standard.

Why? Because of the wider beveling, and return to horn tapering, that was the hallmark

of SG's in the early and mid '60's! [thumbup] They're just so much nicer looking and feeling,

and with the stock '57's, awesome sounding as well!

IMHO, as always.

CB

• 3 weeks later...

I have 490's in my BB King and they are awesome. I have 57's in my ES-335 and if I had to pick, I would take the 490's over the 57's. But that is just me. The 57's are no slouches, but by a hair the 490's do it for me.

i did some playing with the 490s. adjusting the posts and what nots.... you weren't joking. i still love the 57s but the 490s are so crisp and allow me to use the tone and volume knobs more...

The old gibsons are great, and I must admit I cannot complain off a PLEK cut instrument compared

to the older ones, the great issue here is that we have a quality control that varies a lot in

efficiency, so whenever I am buying a new guitar I ask them to try at least 3 of the same instrument

as to get one of the good specimens out there, I've seen it all, from wrong wirings (from factory!),

and like people, all guitars are different, all pickups are different.

I find the old P90s (perhaps those were P94s?) were way brighter and higher output than the ones I

rip off my SG as to put a couple humbuckers, that is something basic for me, I cannot stand those

usual (or specially - the cheaper models equipped with) 490s, I mean, I have one 490R of the 70's,

it's output is very low, but its sound is very buttery, there's no comparision.

A few lucky people manage to get some special edition pickups on their guitars, if not, you can always

modify your guitar and put the pup's that please you the most.

Just as to add, I really like the newere nitro finishes, I do play my instruments and I have no problems with

nicks and cracks (only bad tuning pegs!), I use them no pity, helps them stay in tune, in two years of

good use it did display a little wear on the body, but happily the frets (2012 SG Special) are very good and

their wear doesn't worries me.

IMHO you should classify them in the old (antique) era, when the distance from E to E string was of 48mm, which

got broader to 50mm (or 2 inches, not sure), and the very modern PLEK cut instruments, which can make it for very

fast necks and great fretwork. I must admit I prefer the wider necks so my fingers dont clash.

Their electronics are nothing exceptionl nowadays, I am fond of the old electrics rather than these new 'electronics,

so avant garde(not even 'electrics'), I prefer a stripped off non isolated electrics instrument than a fuel injecion

guitar... But thats me... I like to tune my instrument, it makes good to the ear, and I don't mind my instrument to go

offtune during a song, its normal.

I prefer the old, but not antique. A 70's, 80's or even 90's, or a PLEK cut instrument would be my choice rather than

the brand new scream of fashion engeneered guitars out there...

• 2 months later...

Well, for me (and this will be no surprise to most here) I'd pick the 2013 on, for the SG Standard.

Why? Because of the wider beveling, and return to horn tapering, that was the hallmark

of SG's in the early and mid '60's! [thumbup] They're just so much nicer looking and feeling,

and with the stock '57's, awesome sounding as well!

IMHO, as always.

CB

I TOTALLY agree here. I've owned 7 or 8 SG's over the years including a real 63 Std, several late 60's Stds ( I still have a 69 )....but none of them, including my real 63, were as nice as my 2013 Std.

The 50th anniversary editions are surprisingly hard to find and quite collectible. Who knew?

I guess I did....lol. I've been saying since I bought it new that the Standard 24's from 2011 are gonna be quite desireable as they are ever so nice to play and sound really amazing. Plus there weren't very many made and shipped.

• 3 weeks later...

I TOTALLY agree here. I've owned 7 or 8 SG's over the years including a real 63 Std, several late 60's Stds ( I still have a 69 )....but none of them, including my real 63, were as nice as my 2013 Std.

I'm with CB and Sparkle. I have a 2013 standard and just love it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived