Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone here own a Nighthawk?

DC_NH

• 4 weeks later...

The comment about Fenderish sound is well said... in fact the feel also is kind of like playing a fender but with a preferable neck as far as I am concerned. I had both a nighthawk and a blueshawk both in ebony a while back they have the same size weight action and "feel", but obviously a different sound. Of the two, I greatly preferred the blueshawk, but I am a sucker for P-90's. If you are a smaller guy (as am I) you will love the compact size and light weight. The neck and frets are to die for IMO and my favorite of any of the dozen or so guitars I own. I have since traded the nighthawk off about a year and a half ago...as the blueshawk became my primary electric. I am in negotiation to get it back however as I miss having the pair together. I have heard very good things about the Seymore Duncan diagonal mounted replacement humbucker over the original, but have no personal experience with it. This is the only aftermarket off the shelf drop in replacement I believe ...but I am no authority. Mine was the 2 pickup version humbucker/ mini hum combo. I felt that the Gibson humbucker was a bit thin, weak and trebbly...but again simply an opinion.

Gibby Hawk owners are passionate about these guitars! My Blues hawk was (and is) a battered road warrior when I got it and I love it to death. It is one of only a couple I own that I would not part with under the right circumstances...read any circumstances period. I posted a photo on here the other day on a thread devoted to Gibson Hawk models...I am sure you can find it with a search, but will re-post it on this thread when I get home...can't do it on this work computer. Good choice sir on the hawk acquisition....you will not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 20th Anniversary Gibson Nighthawk. It has the now familiar Gibson quality issues. Mine flaked the gold plate as soon as I put a screwdriver on the screws, and the paint finish is uneven as thought the sanding/polishing was not done carefully enough causing hollows in the surface finish. Also the threaded insert on the middle pickup pulled out of the body when I adjusted the pickup height. The Gibson supplied Canadian made case was also appalling - Gibson logo badly stencilled on, glue all over the joints in the thin poor quality lining, and wobbly stitching lines around the lid - I have seen much better cases from Korea.

However, I have kept the guitar because I love the light weight, strat like scale length, the tone and the overall playability of the guitar. In the end this is what counts.

Gibson have such a loyal following, it is a shame that they do not provide their customers with the quality to match the prices they ask.

I almost sold the Gibson and looked at buying an Epiphone Nighthawk because at the Epi price I could excuse a few quality issues. The Epi and Gibson are over $800 apart, but that Gibson logo on the headstock is still a draw.......but how long will it remain so?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 20th anniversary Nighthawk a few weeks ago. I love it. There was a smudge in the finish that the tech had to buff out, and the action was way too high and had to be adjusted. But overall i am pretty stoked about it. One of the things that drew me to the Nighthawk was its versatility as well as the fact its not everyone's guitar. Being off the beaten path a bit is always a draw to me. Maybe im weird LOL

But the Nighthawk's Tone makes it worth every penny of what I paid.

post-65443-092945800 1404443536_thumb.jpg

Just bought a 20th anniversary Nighthawk a few weeks ago. I love it. There was a smudge in the finish that the tech had to buff out, and the action was way too high and had to be adjusted. But overall i am pretty stoked about it. One of the things that drew me to the Nighthawk was its versatility as well as the fact its not everyone's guitar. Being off the beaten path a bit is always a draw to me. Maybe im weird LOL

I've long been a fan of the JT Riboloff designed Nighthawk & Blueshawk!

He's been doing things with Samik since parting ways with Gibson, and I'm no fan of Samik!

The Blueshawk with the stacked dummy coil P90's (affectionately deemed Blues-90's) that act almost like a humbucker with noise canceling is a really good sounding pickup and axe combination...

I especially love the rare Chicago blue Blueshawk!

kakzdhhm1osaitgzqtnn.jpg

There are some good websites dedicated to this guitar with some good info...

http://www.blueshawk.info/history.htm

Landmark%20series.gif

I've had 5 Gibson Hawks over the years, 3 Nighthawks and 2 Blueshawks.

Sold all but 1 '06 Blueshawk. Just too nice to let go.

Also have owned both the early EPI NH and current production EPI NH RI.

All have been kick-ars guits. But, IMO, the current RI with the set neck is much better than the earlier bolt neck EPIs.(but the OBLs on the early ones were better pups)

If I had room(and $)and I could get a Nancy Wilson for < $900.00 I sure would jump on it.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a Black 3 pick up with tremolo. Fretboard markers are dots. Body is pure black with binding. No binding on neck.

Having a bit of trouble getting info on this. Anyone have any? Mini switch to split coils. One odd thing - mini switch turns off front / mini humbucker in the full humbucker position. Any help here.

Thanks all.

You should be able to find the switching diagram online, I remember searching images for gibson nighthawk switching and I found a few. Great guitar, I think very under-rated, I have the 2 pickup version and I could not be happier. My favorite is the bridge & neck split together, great tone, I don't think I will ever part with mine.

Love the fireburst, that is the finish on mine, when I take my Hawk out of the case the three comments are usually 1.That is a really small guitar, 2. that fireburst is beautiful 3. that guitar sounds great. Usually in that order. This guitar is such a joy to play and so comfortable.

A Few months ago, I bought a new Epi Nighthawk Custom RI. I bought it wondering if I'd like the model. Well, I liked it well enough that, 4 weeks ago, I bought me a new Gibson 20th Anniversary Nighthawk Standard.

WOW. What an amazing guitar. This has to be Gibson's best kept secret. If had gotten one of these when they first came out, there are about 10 different Fender and PRS guitars I would not have purchased.

I am on the fence now about selling the Epi. I can't see playing it with the Gibson in the house. But it sure is close. The neck shape is better on the Gibson and the electronics are better on the Gibson too.

[biggrin]

The guitar can be versatile, the mini humbucker I really like for Jazz and the middle position with the split alone was worth the price of the guitar. I looked for the 20th Anniversary but I could never find it in the fireburst, so I settled for the Nancy Wilson, which was immaculate in both construction and finish. The only thing I did was removed the foolish looking truss rod cover and replace it with a more appropriate one. They really are Gibson's best kept secret IMHO.

The guitar can be versatile, the mini humbucker I really like for Jazz and the middle position with the split alone was worth the price of the guitar. I looked for the 20th Anniversary but I could never find it in the fireburst, so I settled for the Nancy Wilson, which was immaculate in both construction and finish. The only thing I did was removed the foolish looking truss rod cover and replace it with a more appropriate one. They really are Gibson's best kept secret IMHO.

That's the thing......I got the Epi in Fireburst.....Got the Gibby in Antique Natural..could not find Fireburst. But, that's OK. The AN really is beautiful and has grown on me. All my other electrics are some type of burst....so why not!!

• 2 months later...

HI...have had a nice Gibson nighthawk 20th anniversary for over a year...its my main ax these days....one thing though: the single coil can get pretty noisy. At a gig last friday...it was unusable due to all the lights and TVs in the venue. I was thinking of replacing it or shielding the cavity. My question is: are there springs behind the PUP? or foam? If its springs, then this could be a bit of trick getting it back together...any help...most appreciated

Byron

That same thing applies to pretty much all Gibson guitars due to the "tilt-back" headstock. We've seen thousand of Les Pauls with heads broken off. The Nighthawk is no more fragile than any other Gibby guitar. The gold comes off any guitar that that gold hardware.

Anyway, I love my two 'Hawks!

Archived