Gibson Brands Forums

which sg is this please

kolhauszer

hello once again brothers,,

I need some help once more.

im buying a 69 Gibson sg from some older gentleman..he purchased second hand in 1974

and hardly ever touched her ever,,poor thing

but he couldn't tell me which kind of sg it is nor could he tell me the kinds of pickups either..and being less then a beginner I have no idea..but I do want my first Gibson and shes the one.

does anyone know please

ive never seen a bridge like this one before

post-65183-079891700 1399343170_thumb.jpg

post-65183-084440300 1399343186_thumb.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's probably an SG standard. If you could post more pictures, especially pictures of the back of the headstock, might be helpful for some of the members on the forum to help you identify the correct year. It's easy to post pictures if you use Photobucket and then you can post more pictures. Posting thumbnails is a problem because of the size limit. If you use photobucket, you can just post the links here and the pictures will appear.

By the way, that bridge was very common on SG's in the early 70s

Not a '69.

Around 1973 Gibson went back to the small pickguard, added the "harmonica" bridge, and offered the Bigsby (vs the Maestro) as an option. So, the guitar pictured is 1973 or later.

Not shown in the photo, but I'll assume the face of the peghead has the "crown" inlay, which would make this model a "Standard".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived