Gibson Brands Forums

Got some scratches on my fretboard randomly...

bfgkim

I bought 59 reissue new.

After I played for few hours. I noticed these scratches happening on my fretboard...

I am not zakk wylde or john sykes... I don't play that tough...

Played several gibsons and this never happened to me.

Do you guys think it's just scratches from finish on the fretboard or scratches from actual wood?

It doesn't feel rough thugh...

It definitely hurts my heart... Don't see what the problem is...

Did anyone have this kind of problem before?

I bought 59 reissue new.

After I played for few hours. I noticed these scratches happening on my fretboard...

I am not zakk wylde or john sykes... I don't play that tough...

Played several gibsons and this never happened to me.

Do you guys think it's just scratches from finish on the fretboard or scratches from actual wood?

It doesn't feel rough thugh...

It definitely hurts my heart... Don't see what the problem is...

Did anyone have this kind of problem before?

Well if it's new... that definately can't be normal.

I don't see how just playing your guitar could scratch your fretboard =/ Do you have any pictures?

Only thing I could think of might be that it's not "scratches" per se, but rather a matter of change in moisture/chemistry on the rosewood fingerboard.

As Dex suggested, have you photos? that could offer a lot more insight.

m

It's most likely just the nature of the rosewood (I'm assuming rosewood) fretboard. Either lighter color grain lines, or filler used on the fretboard that the "color" has come off of.

A single piece of rosewood can vary quite a bit in color and grain (can be streaky or even striped), and can naturally have what might even be viewed as cracks or splits.

Photos are always good in these discussions.

It's most likely just the nature of the rosewood (I'm assuming rosewood) fretboard. Either lighter color grain lines, or filler used on the fretboard that the "color" has come off of.

A single piece of rosewood can vary quite a bit in color and grain (can be streaky or even striped), and can naturally have what might even be viewed as cracks or splits.

Photos are always good in these discussions.

http://cafe.naver.co...aftshouse/10509

Here's the link for the photos!

Hello Bfgkim, and welcome here.

Sadly I have to say that this guitar looks odd to me. I admit that I don't know anything in particular about the 1959 VOS (vintage original specifications) and that perhaps the fretboard wood species is true to this. I have seen many older fretboards looking this way, they all tended to wearing significantly, and I treated the two of this kind still being in my possessions using linseed stand oil for sealing the pores many years ago. That solved the problem.

However, I think wouldn't be happy with this guitar for another reason. The fret wire beveling looks too wide to my eyes, restricting the usable fretboard width for E1st and E6th. This might induce fret buzz or choked notes. I returned a 2012 Les Paul Standard because of the same issue. It was a dream in every other respect, so it made me very sad, but the E1st allowed just for mezzoforte downstrokes, and the E6th for mezzoforte upstrokes, in particular at 2nd, 3rd and 4th fret, or the attack blew the strings off of the fretboard.

The streaky look is normal in my opinion. Some of my Gibson and Fender fingerboards are looking like that. On the other hand, the finest look and feel have three of my Mexican made Fender Floyd Rose Stratocaster rosewood boards. They compete with the baked maple fretboards on two of my Gibsons, and the artificial Richlite phenolic resin-cellulose compound fretboard on another Gibson guitar of mine.

Sorry for bluntly saying so, but I wouldn't keep this 1959 RI guitar. I rate guitars from a player's view only, and to me it doesn't look like a nice player. Don't know about your return policy though.

Good luck for whatever you will decide to do.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

Archived