Gibson Brands Forums

Let New Finish Cure First?

Codeseven

I love the finish of my new CS-336 and I want to protect it. I'm tempted to give it a good Carnuba wax coating right off the bat. But two things....First of all, is Carnuba ok for nitro finishes? (I assume my new Gib has a Nitro finish), if not, what should I be using....Secondly, should I wait awhile for the finish to cure first? If so, how long? Thanks

Go ahead and give you guitar a good wax. Carnuba wax covers a wide range of products and the issue is the additional products in the mix. Silicone is the issue. Why not get a product designed for a nitro finished guitar?

You should never use any product that contains silicone on a nitro finish. You 336 has a nitro finish. Use a quality product designed for guitars with a nitro finish. Silicone products may not cause an immediate issue but will somewhere down the road especially if you need finish work such as drop fills or a refinish job. The Gibson pump polish is perfect. A lot use Preservation polish or Martin polish. There are many different makers and you local store should carry something. Just stay away from the ones that contain silicone. Some use car wax because some cars are painted with lacquer and they mistakenly think it should be fine but the issue is cars are metal underneath not wood. If the silicone gets into the wood you will have finish issues.The silicone does not damage the finish it prevents new finish from being applied correctly to the wood underneath if needed. Sadowsky Guitars has some great information posted about polish. Sadowsky polish

I would suggest reading the article that Gibson wrote first. It has lots of tips for your guitar. Gibson guitar care

Gibson instrument care

Preservation polish at StewMac

Go ahead and give you guitar a good wax. Carnuba wax covers a wide range of products and the issue is the additional products in the mix. Silicone is the issue. Why not get a product designed for a nitro finished guitar?

You should never use any product that contains silicone on a nitro finish. You 336 has a nitro finish. Use a quality product designed for guitars with a nitro finish. Silicone products may not cause an immediate issue but will somewhere down the road especially if you need finish work such as drop fills or a refinish job. The Gibson pump polish is perfect. A lot use Preservation polish or Martin polish. There are many different makers and you local store should carry something. Just stay away from the ones that contain silicone. Some use car wax because some cars are painted with lacquer and they mistakenly think it should be fine but the issue is cars are metal underneath not wood. If the silicone gets into the wood you will have finish issues.The silicone does not damage the finish it prevents new finish from being applied correctly to the wood underneath if needed. Sadowsky Guitars has some great information posted about polish. Sadowsky polish

I would suggest reading the article that Gibson wrote first. It has lots of tips for your guitar. Gibson guitar care

Gibson instrument care

Preservation polish at StewMac

Thank you CR9.

I'll check out those links.

I just sent in Gibs Gold Warranty so I suppose I should keep warranty issues in my and perhaps only use Gibsons products.

I just mention the pure Carnauba wax because it's supposed to be one of the hardest 'natural' waxes around. I've always used it on my cars and it last along time out in the weather and I like that it's not a polish, it wont take anything off, just seal it up and protect it. But I realized auto paint and guitar paint are two different things.

But I realized auto paint and guitar paint are two different things.

Actually they are pretty much the same.......there are some differences but basically they are the same and should be treated the same guitars , cars , furniture...same concept........ Waterbourne ( acrylics ) finishes allow 30 day cure time, oil based and alcohol based coating allow 7 day cure .

Archived