Gibson Brands Forums: Tracking error on 194mm effective length straight tonearm (T.120) - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tracking error on 194mm effective length straight tonearm (T.120) Lateral tracking error declared by Stanton is correct?

#1 User is offline   Confocal 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

First off all, I am sorry for my basic english. English is not my first language.

A very theorical but serious issue.
In the user manual of my T.120 Stanton turntable is declared a maximum tracking error of 3 degree. Recently I have studied something related to the tracking error argument.
There is a formula (see figure, attached) that quantify the tracking error when are known the effective lenght of the tonearm, the overhang and the angle between the stylus plane and the effective lenght line.

d: distance of the stylus from the disk center hole
o: overhang
ε: lateral tracking error
β: offset angle
le: effective lenght of the tonearm

I applied this formula to T.120 and I found that this error is very huge : from 15 to -15 coming from the external grooves to the internal grooves. See the graph in figure attached.

I was very surpised, so I made a countercheck.
I found and downloaded from the web a particular tool (an image to print on a piece of paper) useful to measure the tracking error, and with my great surprise, this tool has confirmed the calculations I made previously. It means measures on my T.120 are the same I calculated by the formula. Now, I am thinking with a reasonable belief, my T.120 has a tracking error very high. How is it possible that a great brand as Stanton declare a tracking error less than 3 degree instead 15 degree? There are only two possible explanation: the specification of this tracking error by Stanton is wrong or I am in wrong! If someone can explain something about this argument, I will appreciate a lot.

Thank you for your attention and bye bye from Italy.

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users